• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Here we go again

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
My conure Lucas was fine until now , well I have seen him sneezing more and wet sneezing three times today with clear discharge. He has a constant recurrence with respiratory issues so when I see him with abnormal things I tend to worry a lot . Should I set up an appointment for him ? Preening there lol

Attachments

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
I would definitely set up an appointment for him just to be sure he’s okay. Especially since he’s prone to issues.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
I would definitely set up an appointment for him just to be sure he’s okay. Especially since he’s prone to issues.
That is what I think too I will try to set up one as soon as possible, I get so worried when he gets sick

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Has the vet speculated at all as to why he keeps getting respiratory issues? Do you have a decent air purifier for him? Is it possibly allergies? Or perhaps asper or something else hard to squash?

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Has the vet speculated at all as to why he keeps getting respiratory issues? Do you have a decent air purifier for him? Is it possibly allergies? Or perhaps asper or something else hard to squash?
He never said asper, he just said most likely he go it where he was as a baby , I rescued Lucas and I don’t know anything about his past . I do have an air purifier but I haven’t use it . I think is allergies today he hasn’t sneeze yet, I will ask that if I take him to the vet . Do you recommend any decent air purifier ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He never said asper, he just said most likely he go it where he was as a baby , I rescued Lucas and I don’t know anything about his past . I do have an air purifier but I haven’t use it . I think is allergies today he hasn’t sneeze yet, I will ask that if I take him to the vet . Do you recommend any decent air purifier ?
I woudl start using the one you have immediately; anything is better than nothing. I have always had good luck with Holmes TrueHEPA. Basically you want a HEPA filter rated for a room size larger than what you are filtering.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
I woudl start using the one you have immediately; anything is better than nothing. I have always had good luck with Holmes TrueHEPA. Basically you want a HEPA filter rated for a room size larger than what you are filtering.
Yes thanks did where did you got yours from ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes thanks did where did you got yours from ?
I got mine about 10 years ago at Target? Maybe Walmart? And a smaller one on Amazon

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I definitely endorse using a good air filter. Since using mine (it's been less than a month since it arrived), I've noticed an appreciable increase in the overall quality of the air. So, ironically, getting birds will actually have improved the air in my home. As a side note, it arrived the day we had wildfire smoke from up north blow in, which I also find ironic and just in time.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
I definitely endorse using a good air filter. Since using mine (it's been less than a month since it arrived), I've noticed an appreciable increase in the overall quality of the air. So, ironically, getting birds will actually have improved the air in my home. As a side note, it arrived the day we had wildfire smoke from up north blow in, which I also find ironic and just in time.
Would like to share the one you got ? I just want to know if is necessary to buy another one instead of the one I have cause I have to clean it after every use

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I believe any good Hepa one works. I had a thread on best ones, but don't know where it went. Mine is a RabbitAir MinusA2. It's accurate. Every evening when I do the rabbit boxes & budgie papers, it goes to magenta (poor air quality). It knows. They're also made in South Korea, which I like.

And I got a bonus. I ordered the smaller one, as it would be plenty for the room in question. They upgraded me for free to the next size up, as the smaller ones were out of stock, rather than making me wait. Very good customer service! I got a postcard declaring something like: 'You lucky rabbit! You have been selected to receive a complimentary upgrade due to...'

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Just make sure if it has an ionizer on it that you can turn it off, do not use it around the birds. I do not remember why but I always check to make sure that part is off…

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I found the one at target , do I have to look at something in particular that is bad for Lucas or that should be good if it said Hepa ?
As long as it doesn't produce ozone or negative ions (they are usually pretty excited to tell you if it does) then it should be safe

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The ionizer on mine can be turned off.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have kids that like to play with buttons and switches so I opt for models without the feature :lol:

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
As long as it doesn't produce ozone or negative ions (they are usually pretty excited to tell you if it does) then it should be safe
Oh ok so that needs to be off I see I will check cause I think the one has it I will keep searching and let you guys know which one and if it says hepa is good right ? Sorry I just want to make sure I am getting the correct one for Lucas