• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Here’s to the birds with imperfect feathers!!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Wow, even her nostril is pink in second pic.
Looking at her nostrils now, they do definitely have a pink tinge. I can also tell when she’s blushing now, because of the color of her skin around her jawline.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Elizabeth I totally understand what you mean about wondering if you're doing enough or the right things.

Each time I've made mistakes with Cotton's setup that have led to him falling, it makes him a little less adventurous and it absolutely kills me. I always hope I'm doing the things that will give him a bigger life not a smaller one. It's so much easier to identify the wrong choices afterward than the right ones!

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
@Parutti what is Cottons story? I haven’t seen it on here

Yes when you make a mistake you wonder how on earth you didn’t see it. Hindsight and all.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Parutti what is Cottons story? I haven’t seen it on here

Yes when you make a mistake you wonder how on earth you didn’t see it. Hindsight and all.
Whoops I missed this!

I adopted Cotton from a rescue. They were told he had been purchased from a local bird store at 9 months of age and started plucking after a skin yeast infection. He was around a year and a half old when they surrendered him and at that point he was bald from the neck down. He started molting (and got his ring!) while at the rescue but was already barbering all the new feathers.

The first time I visited the rescue, thinking about volunteering (I decided not to volunteer there), they introduced me to him. He was terrified of people and this place had multiple species and sizes of birds so it was really noisy. He's not a fan of a lot of noise and especially is not a fan of cockatoos or big macaws even in cartoons ;)

I started visiting him every week and taking photos, and @Pixiebeak actually spotted he had symptoms of a respiratory illness and was losing weight over time. I adopted him as soon as I could! He was positive for chlamydia and had only been eating sunflower seeds and walnuts out of all the various foods they offered him.

From what I've read, African ringnecks are a little shorter in body than IRN, but even so, Cotton is very small. From what we know about his history and the only store he would have come from, he was probably brought in as a very young bird from a parrot mill.

I've had him almost two years now, and while he still destroys all his feathers, he's healthy and acts like a typical African ringneck from the few videos I can find about them. He is ultra suspicious and smart and I love him to bits!!

Photo from the rescue:

Screenshot_20240219-101318~2.png

And last spring :)

Screenshot_20240219-101534.png

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Whoops I missed this!

I adopted Cotton from a rescue. They were told he had been purchased from a local bird store at 9 months of age and started plucking after a skin yeast infection. He was around a year and a half old when they surrendered him and at that point he was bald from the neck down. He started molting (and got his ring!) while at the rescue but was already barbering all the new feathers.

The first time I visited the rescue, thinking about volunteering (I decided not to volunteer there), they introduced me to him. He was terrified of people and this place had multiple species and sizes of birds so it was really noisy. He's not a fan of a lot of noise and especially is not a fan of cockatoos or big macaws even in cartoons ;)

I started visiting him every week and taking photos, and @Pixiebeak actually spotted he had symptoms of a respiratory illness and was losing weight over time. I adopted him as soon as I could! He was positive for chlamydia and had only been eating sunflower seeds and walnuts out of all the various foods they offered him.

From what I've read, African ringnecks are a little shorter in body than IRN, but even so, Cotton is very small. From what we know about his history and the only store he would have come from, he was probably brought in as a very young bird from a parrot mill.

I've had him almost two years now, and while he still destroys all his feathers, he's healthy and acts like a typical African ringneck from the few videos I can find about them. He is ultra suspicious and smart and I love him to bits!!

Photo from the rescue:

View attachment 442841

View attachment 442842
Honestly I love him that little face I just love a grumpy man :rofl: am so glad you find him

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Whoops I missed this!

Photo from the rescue:

View attachment 442841

View attachment 442842
In that first picture the fear breaks my heart ...then you see oily feathers with dander , staining above nares , dark congested eyes ( different than baby eyes or just dark colored eyes)
Then to now , the confidence in the pic, zero stains above nares , the electric pop and vibrancy of his head feathers !

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
His head feathers are amazing colour the blue against the green
In that first picture the fear breaks my heart ...then you see oily feathers with dander , staining above nares , dark congested eyes ( different than baby eyes or just dark colored eyes)
Then to now , the confidence in the pic, zero stains above nares , the electric pop and vibrancy of his head feathers !