• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Here’s to the birds with imperfect feathers!!

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Giving a shoutout to the birdies with imperfect feathers and their caretakers!

There’s a lot of shame around feather-destructive behavior and it’s easy to feel like you (and your birds) are less-than if they aren’t in perfect feather. I expect too much of myself and of them. And my anxiety probably makes it worse!

My newly adopted eclectus came to me barbering his flights/tail and plucking under his wings. My green cheek plucked when I suffered a major illness a few months ago and is still wavering.

I am on top of it with both birds (vet, diet, the usual) and I’m *not* looking for advice in this thread. Reading what worked for others can get discouraging when you’re struggling.

Here are my two green boys! They’re still beautiful, and I’m still a good bird mom!

Pictured are Cosmo raiding my cockatiels food dish for seed and bender looking for a new way to make trouble!

Post your perfectly imperfect birdies below!

Attachments

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
You definitely are a brilliant bird mum :heart: and they are gorgeous

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Shame? Who?
I have only seen thread asking about or things to try . I find this community very supportive to birds with feather destruction, from minor to naked .
She is front and center as my avatar even
.I purposely chose to show off her bare neck .
My Penny was also a feather destruction birdies . She would use her foot to pull and twist neck feathers so she could pull out . She has a bare ring all around her neck with the worst being in the front here. Sometimes she let all come back in ,, then started the ring again
user33406_pic20983_1546460022.jpg
I miss you so much , my sweet funny birdie

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Phoebe was over preening and clipping the edges off feathers at pet store, this is her when I first brought her home , she also has removed a few from shoulder tops but I don't have pictures that show because other feathers mostly covered it. Phoebe really was so stressed and disliked pet store life..I've not noticed in other pet store quakers I have seen. They are such individuals in response to stress . For her this has completely resolved, but when there is stressors in the household she does some ritualistic pulling of feathers on shoulder tops , so it's possible she could return to this . Sorry it's blurry, but you can still see the clipped edges
original_372955dc-69d5-4fa7-8730-5319f5ce4223_20201015_135722~2.jpg 20210308_132051~2.jpg 20220521_163636~2.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I really hope you have not encountered shaming here on AA.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
There are no "shame" threads on here.
No no shame at all here, although I’ve seen it on other forums.

And maybe I’m projecting the shame piece to some extent. I worry so so much about their health and happiness. It feels like I’ve failed them, but I know freaking out is only going to make it worse!

My green cheek will get better I think. He last plucked when I had another major illness (gallbladder ) and then grew back. He started plucking before I knew I was sick, then stopped once I recovered from surgery. That was 2015 and he didn’t pluck again until recently.

This time I had ulcers that hospitalized me. I worry sometimes that I might still be sick since he’s lingered on the plucking this time. Follow-up endoscopy next week.

My ekkie will just need time I think. He’s 22 and was at the rescue 5 months. He came home 2 weeks ago. The rescue is also a vet and has seen Cosmo his whole life, so I think we are in good hands.

Whatever the case, I need to remind myself more often that they are well-cared for and loved.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
No no shame at all here, although I’ve seen it on other forums.

And maybe I’m projecting the shame piece to some extent. I worry so so much about their health and happiness. It feels like I’ve failed them, but I know freaking out is only going to make it worse!

My green cheek will get better I think. He last plucked when I had another major illness (gallbladder ) and then grew back. He started plucking before I knew I was sick, then stopped once I recovered from surgery. That was 2015 and he didn’t pluck again until recently.

This time I had ulcers that hospitalized me. I worry sometimes that I might still be sick since he’s lingered on the plucking this time. Follow-up endoscopy next week.

My ekkie will just need time I think. He’s 22 and was at the rescue 5 months. He came home 2 weeks ago. The rescue is also a vet and has seen Cosmo his whole life, so I think we are in good hands.

Whatever the case, I need to remind myself more often that they are well-cared for and loved.
I'm sorry you're having health issues. I hope s comes back clear in your follow up!!
I have only had minor ulcers with my chohn's but sure wasnt fun , also has that helicobacter infection with them..
My gi doc finally put me on the medical cow immuneoglobin, it's a powder you mix with water and tastes like cow snot lol, but was so helpful for me, when nothing has been working.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I can’t believe no one tagged me about this :roflmao: I must have made 30 posts when I first got Isadora, because of her barbering issues, which unfortunately have come back. She makes me INSANE with her shoulders

image.jpg

thankfully it’s still nowhere near as bad as it used to be when I first got her

2EFFDAC7-C13E-45B8-9C84-FC0CCCEABB69.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
And Facebook groups.
I have heard horrible tales from people who tried to seek help on facebook :(

Here is our Jaime, who recently passed away, he would pluck around his neck and tail,
Screenshot_2024-02-03-12-03-40-062_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I don’t really have any pictures of pico his were hidden quite well my rest of his feathers but he plucked his back tail and legs

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
IMG_7616.jpeg IMG_7615.jpeg
you can see it on his back in these pictures he had plucked from his neck down back but he left a few feathers that covered it his tail was bare under wings and start of his tail

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I can’t believe no one tagged me about this :roflmao: I must have made 30 posts when I first got Isadora, because of her barbering issues, which unfortunately have come back. She makes me INSANE with her shoulders

View attachment 441994

thankfully it’s still nowhere near as bad as it used to be when I first got her
Question, the color of skin around beak has gone from black to white/grey...is that a hormonal change?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Question, the color of skin around beak has gone from black to white/grey...is that a hormonal change?
I think that was actually just a trick of the light