• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Herding a large rescue flock back into their cage

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I've been considering adopting more birds for a long time now, but am taking my time, making sure I'm ready. There seem to be a lot of people rehoming flocks of birds. Someone is rehoming six budgies, someone is rehoming four budgies, and someone else is rehoming four society finches etc etc that have all lived together their whole lives.
My main concern is... How would I even get a large flock back into their cage when it was time? Lol. Most of these birds seen to have never had a cage, the people rehoming them are all very similar in that they just let them fly around the house 24/7, luckily none have been injured doing that I guess.
I'm thinking I should start them in a smaller room and then work into a bigger room? I'm just picturing trying to get five budgies off the top of fridge

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'd say start them in a flight cage in a small room. If the flock comes with bowls, perches, anything that they are used to in their previous life try to use the stuff in the cage so they have something they might be familiar with. Put food and water in the cage only so that it is something they have to go to.

We recently moved and my flock which was used to being free 24/7 isn't any longer except for the tiels. However, in the old house everyone had a cage which they'd usually return to at night to sleep in. The tiels had a double flight cage which was always open; the Quakers each had their cage which was usually closed at night and the gccs had a double flight cage. Sun Tikki had his own cage - depending on what was ginig on the next day I'd close the conures cages as they were the most likely to get into everything.

In the new house my flock is in a much smaller room which the tiels, gccs and Quakers share; the tiels still live free 24/7 though most return to their cage to sleep either inside or on top even though they stick around their open cage most of the day. The Quakers and gccs' cages are closed at night and both Quakers are good about getting into their cages @ bed time. The gccs cage I usually have to close later in the evening just before I go to bed as they are nosy and as long as there are signs of activity they can hear they won't go into their cage.

Hope some of what I just wrote helps.