• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hen health

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Hi all, I have a few questions I wanted to check with AA!

Charlie is approx 6 month old hen. When she moulted, the vet told me that poops could be affected by moulting as I was concerned that some of her droppings were a little watery. At the time, she was given a clear bill of health. The last few days, I've again noticed she is doing some slightly watery poops (and some normal) and I'm not sure if she is starting a moult or not. She appears healthy and is very active, eating well and certainly very happy. Does this warrant a vet visit or is this normal? (Also she's been bathing a lot).

She has started a new behaviour of humping her ladder. Its not all the time, maybe once a day. My main concern is that she might mate with her cage mate, 1 year old Flynn. I don't want to seperate them either as they are bonded and they would both be so distressed if I was to do that. Given that she is only 6 months old, is it even possible for her to lay eggs and beside ensuring she has 12 hours covered rest time at night, can I do anything else to discourage this?

She has always been surprisingly physical and hands on for a non hand-raised budgie, and crawls under my hand to encourage me to give head scritches sometimes. The last few days, she has been angling for tummy pats. I always distract her with a toy when she does this..

She's become even more bossy with Flynn too. Is this all normal?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Also she's been bathing a lot).
Bathing can cause watery poops.

My main concern is that she might mate with her cage mate, 1 year old Flynn. I don't want to seperate them either as they are bonded and they would both be so distressed if I was to do that. Given that she is only 6 months old, is it even possible for her to lay eggs and beside ensuring she has 12 hours covered rest time at night, can I do anything else to discourage this?
I never think that mating is a bad thing, unless one of the birds is too young and doesn´t want to participate. Just be sure to remove any nooks, beds and other dark spaces to reduce the urge to lay -- remember a hen will lay when she wants to regardless of if there is a male present or if she has mated.

She's become even more bossy with Flynn too. Is this all normal?
Hens can get a bit bossy once they start maturing.

@Monica @Lady Jane @Ripshod

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
*Sorry, I messed up the quotes a little and so I had to edit the comment, I will tag those members again just to be sure they get an alert*
@Monica @Lady Jane @Ripshod @finchly

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
It's more the potential for egg laying that concerns me especially since she is so young

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sounds all normal to me! And yes females are BOSSY.

You are right to be concerned about egg laying - but - it may happen. If she lays an egg, start doing the things that discourage laying (less protein, less light, maybe rearrange cage etc). Let's not worry yet okay? She's happy and healthy. :)

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Is it possible to separate them into different cages, but keep them side by side? That's the only true way to make sure that she doesn't' mate.

Other things to try:

1) Reduce daylight hours. - Cover the cage at night, and only allow for 8 hours of daylight each day
2) Rearrange the cage - rotate toys around, move perches, re-locate food and water dishes
3) Do no over feed - Reduce food and make sure they are not over eating
4) Remove any item that may be mistaken for a potential nesting spot. - No happy huts, coconut shells, grass baskets, clay pots, ect.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If its ok with your vet you can add apple cider vinegar to the drinking water once or twice a month to see if the droppings dry up some. For one quart of water you add 2 tsp. ACV that has mother or unfiltered. If you are feeding any warm, soft foods I would stop them while hormones are surging. Also flax seed is a phytoestrogen and has potential for stimulating egg laying. Its not easy to find budgie seed without it though. Put the birds to bed as we say 1 hour earlier and as stated above move and re arrange the cage interior.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yes, she could lay eggs as early as 6 months old, if not younger. Yes, they could be fertilized at that stage, too, if she were to mate with a male.

Diet can also play a role in droppings. More watery foods means more watery droppings, which isn't a bad thing!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I'm fairly certain they haven't mated, but Charlie hu 20200121_072346.jpg mps her ladder and Flynn hangs around looking curious. I'd hate to seperate them, they get really distressed and if they were side by side in different cages they would be frantic. I'll try rearranging the cage and putting her to bed earlier.

@PoukieBear in regards to reducing food, should I be only offering food at set times? She loves her food eats a lot. She loves her veggies too. I don't want her to be hungry either because she flies a lot and also plays really actively- swinging upside down, flipping herself around, climbing.

Heres a picture of how cute they are.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You have two adorable budgies. I hope things get better for this situation. I agree, separating them would only cause more stress for the both of them. You are lucky they like to eat veggies. I really thing the feeding less pertains to seeds and any soft foods you feed them.

Triggers of Breeding Behavior:
  1. Extended hours of light. Lengthening days and increased amounts of artificial light will cause a bird's reproductive organs to increase in size which in turn triggers a significant increase in hormonal activity.
  2. The availability of a suitable nest site and nesting materials. A suitable nest sites may, in your pet's eyes, include ordinary household items like cardboard boxes, areas behind cushions on the couch, even shoes. It is best to discourage them from claiming those as nests. Nesting material can be paper or a favorite blanket.
  3. Availability of a mate (can be you, another bird or an object, such as a favorite toy)
  4. Diet: Levels of fat and/or protein, as well as starches in the diet. Warm, wet food (nestling food) also encourages breeding behavior.
  5. Perceived sexual petting (i.e., stroking the bird's backside or near the vent)

Last edited:

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
@ladyjane thank you! We are avoiding most of this, although obviously there is the availibility of a mate. We'll muddle on and hopefully this hormonal time will pass uneventfully. My sweet baby is far too young to lay eggs and I hope she never has to cope with egg binding or any laying problems!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
And yes I'm very lucky they are good with veggies- if you can make out an orange tinge around Charlie's beak, its from munching on carrot!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I just had a friend over who couldn't believe how sweet little Charlie was, and I had almost forgotten how worried I was not that long ago and so I thought I'd update this thread.

I don't know what the hell happened but all of the hormonal behaviour just kind of calmed down and its like a different bird. She is much calmer with Flynn and just loves to sit with me squeaking and singing softly.

I just feel like with this bird she changes every couple of weeks or months completely. Compared with Flynn, while he is a nutcase, his behaviour is pretty consistent. Is this a hen thing too?!

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
They can certainly mellow out as they age and as they become more secure in their envirornment. Hormones can also affect their behavior but that is usually displayed to the male..lol. Sam is still feisty and playful but she now is content to sit with us as we watch TV and natter away. Also no more trying to nip my freckles and skintags off...she is gentle and tender.