• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Helping Curb Hormones...Important bc of Prolapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I've been noticing my little Lucky stuffing anything she can find in her little rump feathers...which tells me she is nesty.

What I've done to stop the behavior is put her on her herbal hormone medicine twice a day (vet prescribed when she first had the prolapse) and limited her light so that she has about 13 hours of darkness. She has no happy hut or soft cuddly toys make her think she has a mate.

From here, I don't know what else to do? It hasn't curbed her nesty behaviors yet (about a week and a half), and I worry about her prolapsing again. She was very close to dying last time... :(

Any advice would be appreciated!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If possible move her cage to a different spot. Also, constantly rearrange her cage. These things will make her feel that she does not have a stable place to nest. Make sure that she has a grate over her cage liner. Do not feed millet spray either. Females will put pieces of the stalk in their rump to use as nesting material. Sorry but those are the only other things that I can think of at this point.

Matt

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks Matt! She does have a grate, and no millet, but I didn't thin about rearranging her cage constantly. I'll do that when she goes into her sleep cage at night. Thank you!

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Does she have any platform perches in her cage? Leyla was super nesty not long ago and I had to remove the adorable T4W platform perches from the cage:( Her and Nin were PO'ed but it really helped a lot with the nestiness.

Sorry that's all I can suggest other than Matt's suggestions.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
She does have small platforms because she needs them to sleep...unfortunately she's special needs and I can't take those out. She hasn't been paying much special attention to them, though so I don't think it's much of an issue.

I have noticed her kissing a toy though...that one is going to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.