• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Helping before the vet can?

RedRaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Celine
I was gonna cut my budgies nails today and I did (so far on 3 aout of 4) and 2 of those where not in the best of health, one of them had 2 sour, red spots on the bakside of his foot, becaose of his long nails, and the other one had a lot of poo on the fethers aorund the anus, that was Nala, the only girl out of the 4 budgies I got, So, if Im lucky I can get a time by next week (if it isnt urgent they usually drag it out..) but what can I do for them to make them better until we take the trip to the vet?

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Keep the perches very clean. Give a good variety of perches (different texture and diff diameter)
Since he has red spots on feet, avoid cement and sandy perches for now. Best would be rope perches, anything that is softer.

Trim all his nails, then wash feet well in warm water and if you have A & D ointment, apply a little on his feet massaging it gently while applying.

RedRaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Celine
Thank you! I'll do these! :) The nails are already clipped, so just to wash him up then! :)

Right now he ha an overused perch that is really thik and a kind of soft wood (no bark as they bit it all of the old owner told me) and a few store bought tree perches are these fine? for now?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A&D amd vitimin E oil is great for the feeties, rope perches and flat perches help for variety.

RedRaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Celine
Okay, I'll go buy some ropes tomorrow morning! What do you meen flat perche, o you hae a pic so I know what I'm looking for? xd

Thanks a million! :)

RedRaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Celine
No, I havt really seen these in the store,, so if I dont ´find one I dont think it will be too hard to make one myself! :) Thank yoou once again!