• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help?

Poppy!

Checking out the neighborhood
Poppy is 5 weeks old; it knows how to fly for about a week already. However, Poppy fly's anyhow and anytime in the house and the worse is I couldn't stop Poppy or make Poppy fly to my hand. What can I do? I am really scared that Poppy might injured itself from doing this.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello, Welcome to Avian Avenue! :)

Your worry is she doesn't respond to recall? (doesn 't come back too you when you call her)
You can try closing off the area to make it smaller. Close the doors, or set up tension rods with curtains on to make the area she has access to smaller.
You can work on recall training her by calling her name and giving the command, then giving her treats. I personally use "come back" with my birds, but you can say anything you want.

Does she not have a cage?
A cage is important for all birds, so they have their own space to feel safe in. Even if they only sleep in there.

Poppy!

Thank you for answering!:joyful:I will try your method, by the way Poppy's gender is unknown yet as Poppy is only 5 weeks old. Also, the cage is on the way.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is Poppy weaned? You may be best waiting til she is a little older before focusing on training as she is just a baby.

Poppy!

no yet. I know it is just a baby but a bit dangerous when it flys like this. And because poppy bump in the wall:facepalm: