• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help

Stressymom

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a new lorikeet and he was gifted to me so I'm very stressed if something happens to him I want every thing to be perfect for him. There's a few things that worry me.
1.Smoking. my mom smokes a lot and It scares me for him I put a air purifier next to him and two fans to blow away smoke but then I get worried that he's too cold
2. My dogs and cats make me worry as well
I could go on but dont want to seem too silly. If Amy one cam give tips that would be great

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can you possibly move your bird into a room where your mum does not smoke? Maybe your bedroom would be ok to house your bird in and then you could keep the door closed to minimise the smoke being breathed in by both you and your bird- I would also want to put a towel at the bottom of the door and maybe some weather strips in the frame area to keep as much smoke out as possible. The bonus about being able to move your bird into your bedroom (if you can) would also be that you could control when or if the cat and dog enter the room.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Are you by any chance able to get your mum to smoke outside?

Stressymom

Checking out the neighborhood
Can you possibly move your bird into a room where your mum does not smoke? Maybe your bedroom would be ok to house your bird in and then you could keep the door closed to minimise the smoke being breathed in by both you and your bird- I would also want to put a towel at the bottom of the door and maybe some weather strips in the frame area to keep as much smoke out as possible. The bonus about being able to move your bird into your bedroom (if you can) would also be that you could control when or if the cat and dog enter the room.
He actually has his own room upstairs and I feel better with him in there. I just feel sad he's not getting enough attention

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I wish. Sadly not though
Pity to hear. I highly recommend doing what Shez said then.
Try leaving windows in your house open as much as you're able too, as well.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Birds are not as delicate as we used to think. Unless he's in a constant draft, and there are no drastic temperature changes, fans in his/her immediate vicinity wouldn't be a problem. That said, I'd NEVER let him out with a fan running. You'll have to make the best of the situation: spend more time in your room with your bird to compensate for his or her relative isolation. And you are right to be vigilant of your other pets. Regardless of what others might intimate, you can NEVER trust a cat or dog with a pet parrot. One moment of inattention could lead to a tragedy.