• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

help with upcoming eggs [Lovebirds]

Tanyun

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanya
i have a bonded pair. male personata & female fischer.
I saw them mate a lot of times, and the past few days the female won't stop collectiong stuff and hide it behind my pillow, so i figured she is building a nest.
i have a couple of questions:

1) is it true that personata x fischer hybrids are bad?
2) should i just put a nest box in her cage? because i'm pretty sure she will lay eggs anyway and i want her to be comfortable.
3) i have dummy eggs ready, so i just replace when she done laying and hope she will get tired of them?

thank you !!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
1) is it true that personata x fischer hybrids are bad?
In my opinion, creating hybrids is bad. I really dislike that it happens. I understand transmutation however for the average Joe, it´s best for us to stick to breeding within the same species.

2) should i just put a nest box in her cage? because i'm pretty sure she will lay eggs anyway and i want her to be comfortable.
No. It will encourage her to sit longer than she might have had she made a little nest on the cage floor. Lovebirds are stubborn enough, it is already challenging to get them out of the cycle.
I will give mine a little paper to shred if I know an egg is 100% coming, so I let her make a mini nest in the corner of the cage floor. When I clean the cage, I trim the nest down so it doesn´t get enormous, and just leave enough for her eggs (the dummy eggs) to sit on and enough space for her to sit nicely without being awkward on the cage bars.
Some won´t give anything, but I like you also feel guilty and let my 2 girls have a little slither of a nest.

3) i have dummy eggs ready, so i just replace when she done laying and hope she will get tired of them?
As each egg is laid, switch it for a dummy. You have a few days to make the switch in case you don´t have the time or energy on the night the egg is laid, you can leave it til the next day and switch it when you have the time to do it. Some girls won´t give up those eggs without a fight, the best thing to do is coax your hen out with millet or nesting materials to forage, and then switch the egg while she´s out.
edit; I missed half of the question. You can let her brood those eggs for up to but no more than 22 days. Hopefully she will tire of them before the deadline, it will be apparent by the eggs sprawn (not together), and the ¨nest¨ destroyed, or the eggs out of the ¨nest¨. Be sure she has abandoned the eggs before removing the dummys and any nesting material remnants. If time is up and she´s still sitting, you need to give her a push. Rearrange the cage, move toys, add new toys, move water/food bowls, perches etc move the cage if you can, or rotate it, see if she will abandon the nest of her own accord. If not, remove the dummys and any nesting materials, and rearrange the cage as before.

Does you hen eat pellets and veggies?

Last edited:

Tanyun

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanya
thank you !!! yes my birds eat pellets main pellet is top's and also harrison, roudybush & lafeber in forage toys!

also they eat sprouts almost daily and freeze dried veggies and some fruits. every once in awhile i cook them bird street bistro.

do i need to add egg food?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Tanyun

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanya
ok thank you for all the help!

Tanyun

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanya
ok update!
she built a nest on top of the air conditioner, when she will lay (any day now) will it be ok if i remove the egg and put it in her cage?

Tanyun

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanya
the first egg was laid on the air conditioner, can i move the egg to her cage? can i destroy the nest she built on the AC? tomorrow i will replace the first egg with a dummy! @Zara

thank you !!!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I would have not allowed to nest in the room. Lovebirds re-lay lost eggs.

Do you have a pic of the nest? If itś shredded bits of paper, grab a handful and put them on the cagefloor in the corner and put a dummy egg on top. Clean up the rest of whats left on the AC unit, and dispose of the real egg (I like to squish them over the bin, I live in a warm humid climate so Iḿ paranoid about the egg developing in the bin so squashing the egg makes sure no life will form).

If you can block access to that space where the nest was made would be great, even if itś something simple like stuffing a towel in the space while sheś out of her cage.

Tanyun

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanya
yes the nest is just bits of paper and palm all over the AC unit! i already got rid of the real egg and put a dummy instead. (crushed it).
thanks a lot for the help !