• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help with newborn cockatiel

SarahA

Moving in
Why are you breeding birds when you have no clue what you're doing? Please reconsider what you're doing simply because of the tragedy that is happening right now. What are you trying to achieve?

The truth is that chick's chance of survival are low to none with your skill set and knowledge. I'm very sorry about that. You need skilled intervention by a vet.

Curse the breeder for selling an unweaned baby to an amateur.
Okay thanks shouldnt even post on here if people are gonna be rude i have fed parakeets before not cockatiels.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your little baby will be okay! Unfortunately I don’t know much about handfeeding. I know you are trying your best, but I think you need help so your baby will make it. Please find someone experienced near you that can help you with your baby.

Edit: oh no, I just saw your baby didn’t make it. I’m so very sorry. Rest In Peace baby bird. :sorrow:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
So sorry for your loss.
You know what we are all long term bird owners, myself 30+ years. When we see something that could cost a bird its life we are going to say something. Feeding budgies is a whole heck of alot easier then feeding cockatiels. Just honest opinion here, please please do not breed your birds ,you have had 1death why compound it with more. And if we seem rude, its because we give crap.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry to hear about the baby.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@JLcribber The baby wasn't sold unweaned, it was hatched at the OP's home by the parents. @SarahA Tiel parents will sometimes abandon a chick because they can sense/know that something is wrong with it. For the chick to have had a black belly when it was hatched is something I've never seen. I have had chicks with digestive problems which needed to be pulled and handfed.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am sorry your baby did not make it.