• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help With Landings??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I know how to help Tango with flying....he's been perching on me and I start jogging a little while he flaps his wings. It's been building his chest muscles and eventually he takes off. He enjoys it and is getting more flying strength...Today he actually dipped down and then changed directions up a little. He was so proud!

Problem is...he cannot LAND. He's awful at it, and I'm afraid he's going to get hurt. Is there anyway I can help him with the landing part of flying???

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Jasper was terrible with his landings for quite awhile. He would basically fly and slow down near something and just fall. Or he would grab onto something, like my hair :) as he was flying by. I tried to make sure there was plenty of places around for easy landings for him and he eventually got the hang of it.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Tango just keeps flying....slows down....but keeps flying until he hits something that makes him stop. So even if I clear the area, he keeps going until the wall stops him. :confused:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Can you practice with him with a treat, put him on a playstand and stand a few feet away and coax him to fly and land on your arm.

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Gypsy used to do the same thing. I started by standing a few feet from a landing spot, typically her living room cage since we practiced on the first floor. The cage is 24x24 and we use it for going to camp in the summer. That gave her a wider area to land on instead of a single perch.

I would stand a few feet from it and 'toss' her towards it, then praise her like crazy:laughing12::dance5: when she landed on it. We gradually moved further and further away from it until she was flying in from the other room. In time she learned to aim and land on her playstand. Sometimes she still misses though and SLAM into the door or wall. :eek: But for the most part she finds something...windowsill, shower curtain rod, play stand to land on.

Status
Not open for further replies.