• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

HELP with Budgie...need advice ASAP!@!!!!!!!

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
What did the vet do the first time the bird went there?

gary

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I was contacted by one of my adopters that their 2-3 year old budgie is having spazms, runny stool, head goes backwards like its turned incorrectly, breathing hard, chest puffed up. The vets office is not open and our 24 hour in the area is NOT avian.
The vets office is not open until monday. Contact me.
---------------------------------------------------

This sounds like a Vit E and selenium defeciency, and also what you describe sounds similar to a star-gazer.

Does the head twist or go back like this? Sorry, I only have cocktiels for use of illus.

In rare instances Toxoplasma gondii can also cause this. Does she have any cats?

Attachments

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw poor baby. Good thoughts coming:hug8:

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Yes the head is going backwards!!!!!
The vet gave her baytril and sent her home saturday.....
thats what they do..the avian vet is seen now, but blood work can take up to 3 days. We have no Certified Avian Vets anywhere near us. But there is a vet that will see birds. I count on a few ok vets myself..but sometimes they have no idea what is wrong. Hopefully the Vit E issue will be addressed. She does NOT have cats . She has 3 dogs, all small and away from the budgie.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK...it will take 4-5 weeks, 1 injection per week of Vitamin E with selenium. After the first treatment there should be just a slight improvement.

Baytril isn't going to do anything. But sometimes a fungal problem can contribute this, and Nystain has been know to help star-gazers.

Also the bird will be constantly stressed, and if still eating on it's own sprinkle daily on its food some Brewers Yeast.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just found this thread. My first thought was stargazers! I have had 3 aquaintenances that had birds with it.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Poor baby passed to the rainbow bridge. The vet went for euthanzining.
Fly free baby Budgie.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sorry I am juggling birds here, and lots of phone calls....

Ok..so she said nothing has changed , no new cleaners, no new toys, etc.
She has had 2 GCC die within the past 6 months, they were siblings and was thought it to be a genetic issue.
Nothing has changed in the situation with the budgie.
No new cages
No drafts
NADA

She is on her way now to the emergency clinic.

2 GCC and a budgie now? Something sounds amis..

She needs her home tested. Or maybe a VERY HEAVY look over.. something doesnt sound right.

Poor little budgie.. :(

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
something doesnt sound right. Poor little budgie.. :(
--------------

I agree. It could be something simple as diet related. Not all grains and seeds, or produce are equal. Their nutrient content is dependant on the minerals and nutrients in the soil they are grown in.

I learned this when I was having my star-gazer problems years ago. In my part of the country, nutrient content is also dependant on how the seed/grain is stored. Silos are the most common bulk storage system. But in hot humid climates this can be bad and affect the nutrient conten/values of seed/grains. I learned that in the fall most suppliers have new fresh crops, but by the following summer, early fall these stores are dead of nutrients, and also a source of aflatoxcins, fungus, etc, which can be problematic. During certain times of the year I try to have seed shipped in from northern states.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Poor baby passed to the rainbow bridge. The vet went for euthanzining
------------------------------------------
:hug8:I'm sorry for her loss. But by the same token it is disappointing that a vet did not know what to do, or treat with. Many take the easy route and euthanize.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

2 GCC and a budgie now? Something sounds amis..

She needs her home tested. Or maybe a VERY HEAVY look over.. something doesnt sound right.

Poor little budgie.. :(
Yes I agree. I am going to see whats going on.

something doesnt sound right. Poor little budgie.. :(
--------------

I agree. It could be something simple as diet related. Not all grains and seeds, or produce are equal. Their nutrient content is dependant on the minerals and nutrients in the soil they are grown in.

I learned this when I was having my star-gazer problems years ago. In my part of the country, nutrient content is also dependant on how the seed/grain is stored. Silos are the most common bulk storage system. But in hot humid climates this can be bad and affect the nutrient conten/values of seed/grains. I learned that in the fall most suppliers have new fresh crops, but by the following summer, early fall these stores are dead of nutrients, and also a source of aflatoxcins, fungus, etc, which can be problematic. During certain times of the year I try to have seed shipped in from northern states.
I also agree and she does order her food online from a place in New York. Its some all organic company I will have to see whats with that also.

Status
Not open for further replies.