• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with 6 weeks old budgies

samkam

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sam
I got two budgies from a pet store 8 days ago. I was told they are roughly 6 weeks old. Wings are clipped so they cannot fly much.
I want to train them so they are not scared when i put my hand inside the cage. Also want them to come out of the cage and spend time outside the cage.
They like spray millet so i tried holding spray millet in my hand try to feed them. They do eat but i have to chase them for good 1-2 minute before they start eating.
Should i approach them little bit differently then this? any ideas or tips much appreciated.
Thanks!!

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
1. Don't chase them!
:agreed:

2. How big is the cage?
A larger cage will make your birds more comfortable when you put your hands inside, and a budgie cage should be at least 18” by 18” can we see your setup?

8 days is a very short time for a bird, so you should let them settle in a little bit more.

Any photos of them? :roflmao:

samkam

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sam
:agreed:

A larger cage will make your birds more comfortable when you put your hands inside, and a budgie cage should be at least 18” by 18” can we see your setup?

8 days is a very short time for a bird, so you should let them settle in a little bit more.

Any photos of them? :roflmao:
Here are some picture i took it when i got them. I dont have picture of the set up of cage. will upload when i home.
Thanks

PS: i dont even know the gender of this two as i was told they are too young to tell gender.

Attachments

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Here are some picture i took it when i got them. I dont have picture of the set up of cage. will upload when i home.
Thanks

PS: i dont even know the gender of this two as i was told they are too young to tell gender.
The blue one is a female, and I can’t tell on the green one @Ripshod

Reactions: Ali

samkam

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sam
Which cage is it (link pls)? 14” wide is pretty small, and they would probably feel much more comfortable with space to move away from your hands.
Here u go picture of the cage from website i order from petsmart.

Attachments

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Here u go picture of the cage from website i order from petsmart.
That cage is very small, and this from the description makes no sense at all:

Ideal for 1 Conure Cockatiel, or Pionus Parrot or 1-3 Parakeets
Also, this cage is nowhere near adequate for a Conure or Cockatiel like it says.

samkam

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sam
Also they are much younger than 6 months because they have bars almost down to their cere, they are around 2 to 3 months old.
They are not even 2-3 months, i was told they are way too young . They told me they are 6 or may 7 week old.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
A flight cage would be more ideal if possible.
This one for example, is a wonderful size, and not very expensive:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
This one for example, is a wonderful size, and not very expensive:
I have this cage brand I can't fault them.

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
The green one looks like a male, to me. The cere is very similar to Kaladin's when I first got him.
Take it very slow. Don't chase them, let them come to you. I personally think eight days is okay, just go very slowly. Budgies LOVE millet, so they will eventually come to you.
And a little advice on the cage set up...
Replace those dowel perches with natural branches. The variation in width in natural branches helps prevent arthritis, and smooth perches can cause bumble foot. Also, add in lots of SHREDDING toys. Kaladin loves bird kabobs, as do most birds. They are made of a really soft wood that even budgies can just rip apart. Paper, cardboard, and things like that are great. Balsa is another really soft wood. A great place for getting toys is PlanetPleasures. They're pretty cheap, and there's free shipping on orders of over $35. They also are super easy to use for foraging.
If you want to give the birds a little time to settle in, you could do some target training through the bars of the cage. It's SUPER handy, especially once you start actually training. Kaladin picked it up in about two days, and now it's really useful for getting him into the right spot for training. This will also get them used to accepting treats from you without you shoving your hand in their cage.
Also, make sure to keep millet out of the cage except in foraging toys! It has to be something they have the work for to get, otherwise it will loose it's value.
Those are some adorable little birds, by the way. :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
1. Don't chase them!
:iagree:
The blue one is a female, and I can’t tell on the green one @Ripshod
I also agree. The blue is clearly female. The green could be male, another photo in a few days could seal the deal. Natural daylight is always best for photos.
You need to relax, step back and show them you're not a threat. Don't sit staring at them. Instead, without looking talk to them, sing or whistle to them. You can even read to them if you need. Every time you go near the cage to change food or water let them see you drop a little treat in their dish. The idea is to just let them get used to you and your voice, learn that you're not a threat and hopefully get interested in you.
It's not a race, there's no reward for coming first. The reward comes from building that trust. Without the trust you'll get nowhere.