• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help, the honey moon is over!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
i also do what mercedes does...Zazu and a huge thing about shoulders and i'm not 100% comfortable with her being that close to my face and once she gets up there she doesn't want to get down and will bite. so if she's trying to get to my shoulder i just ask her to step up and we do a few reps of those and then i hold her feet in my hand

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I got all my carriers and extra cages off craig's list-cheap! As far as her riding on your shoulder in the car, she would be much safer should an accident occur.{heaven forbid, but things happen} If on your shoulder, she could get thrown into the windshield or worse. As well as the other safety issues that have been mentioned. I hope you find a good solution, and a way to work through the screaming.:hug8:

Slic102

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lisa Cook
Sorry I've not been on in a week or so, been very ill. Izzy is a bit miffed at me because I've only had her with me for a couple of hours a day. Mark has had to bring her to me when he gets home because I have fibromyaglia, and when I get a really bad flare I can't hold her weight on my arm. It's so cute though when she sees me she says "Hello" and "HI" in every voice she knows. (she does about 8 voices). It just melts my heart. She gets so upset at feeding time because I normally pick her up and set her on the floor and she follows me like a little puppie, but this week and part of last week I couldn't pick her up. :confused: She definitely doesn't like that!

We are doing well with everything BUT she has begun testing me with her beak. I used to be able to say "too hard" and take my hand away for a minute and then she was fine, but now she just bites down all over again. It's hard enough to be uncomfortable but not hard enough to REALLY hurt. How do you train your macaws how hard they are allowed to play with your fingers?

Thanks for the info about the hissing.....I thought it was a happy thing, but just wanted to make sure. My mini mac does it too and when he does, and I do it back he loves it and will come give me kisses, so I assumed it was probably the same with Izzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.