• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help please

Kiwiandman

Checking out the neighborhood
My boyfriend and I bought two little lovebirds around 18 weeks old 4 days ago,
At 3 days we were told to separate them as Kiwi kept pecking Mangos feet and back so we now have two cages,
Everything on the internet is telling me to let them out in a secure space but the pet store advised to wait until around 3/4 weeks before attempting to let them out the cage,
Because we had to separate them they are both a bit wary of us coming into the cage (they just move away from our hands when we go to the bowls,) I talk quietly and calmly to them and they seem to love true crime books I've read to them, I just don't know if I'm doing the right things?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Were they parent raised? Hand fed w/ regularly human interactions? Are they flighted? If yes, I would see if they want to come out on their own but in a secure room. I would cover all holes in which they can get in and possibly get stuck. I would not wait for 3/4 weeks before attempting letting them out. If they want to come out, I would encourage them too. One thing I like to do is gently put my hand in the cage and not move it. They may freak out but once them settle down, just slowly remove your hand from the cage. Since one is agressive with the other, you may want to do it one at time because if you have to break them up, that may scare them more. Do they take millet from you through the bars? I would interact with them as much as possible, give them their space when they are overwhelmed. Just takes it slow, but definitely don't wait especially when they are so young and easier to work with. Taming two is definitely harder than just one but is very doable.

When I first got Loki she was terrified if me. I left the cage door open and if she wanted to come out, she could. I played lovebird videos which got her interested and wanted to come over and eventually she wanted to check it out. Her curiosity overcame her fear. Then I would hide the video with my hand which made her want to come closer because I was blocking the picture. Please note this may back fire since you don't actually know what the birds in the video are saying. Plus you have two so they may not even be interested in the video and just want each other.

She came home at 4-5 months old, was terrified of me for about 5 days. This was day 12

20180729_134221.jpg
Day 20
20180729_093258.jpg

Last edited:

Kiwiandman

Checking out the neighborhood
Were they parent raised? Hand fed w/ regularly human interactions? Are they flighted?
They were parent raised and then moved to the pet shop at 12 weeks, I don't believe they were hand-fed but there were people in and out the shop,
They fly about the cages most of the day and climb,

I'm just worried I hurt them once we need them back in the cage,

If the millet is pushed through enough but don't like coming too close when they are eating it,
They don't mind me close to the cage if I'm not coming into it,

I have played a few videos of lovebirds and they get very lively, I will give your tips a go, thank you so much