• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help Please, No stools after laying an egg

Mangotart

Sitting on the front steps
As stated in my two previous posts, my baby laid an egg for the first time in years, and since then she has laid 3 eggs, one on her first time, one on the second time a month later, and one today. I've also stated that I had a general idea on why she's doing so now after many years, the culprit was indeed the top of my room's cabin, that i've sealed off with a plank of wood since my last post. Problem is, Mango managed to weasel her way in, by constantly chipping at the wood, and me underestimating the fact that she can make it through. This accident in which she weaseled back into the cabin top which she most likely considers her "nest", led to another egg dropping in this morning. Though unlike the last two times, I fear she had more trouble with this one, and I believe there's a secong egg to come as she's still way heavier than her usual weight, and she seems to still have an egg bump. This never gets easy, I'm mostly concerned of whether it's normal for her to not be passing any stools? I've cleaned her cage after she laid the egg, mostly to make sure if there's any fresh droppings, and 3 hours later, she has yet to poop. Is it normal, or should I be even far more worried that I already am?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Keep an eye on things. Definitely it could be the next egg is blocking things. But if not straining,or look off it anything, I would give her a little more time. I'm not sure how often poops happen? But she might have eaten a little less as well.
Very smart to clean the papers so you will know

Mangotart

Keep an eye on things. Definitely it could be the next egg is blocking things. But if not straining,or look off it anything, I would give her a little more time. I'm not sure how often poops happen? But she might have eaten a little less as well.
Very smart to clean the papers so you will know
Thank you very much for your response. I've been sitting with her since the first egg, she has been eating, drinking, and energetic, but so far no poops. As far as I know, she'd poop every half an hour or so, unless she's holding it in. She has been in her cage for a while now too though, I'm contemplating whether to let her back out, or just let her be warm in her space.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I like to keep routine as normal and stress free as possible when eggs are going on. But if she is happy and calm in cage and you can leave a little longer to see if poops.

Is butt messy or swollen ? Like are the edges of cloaca pink and plumped up and engorged?

Mangotart

I like to keep routine as normal and stress free as possible when eggs are going on. But if she is happy and calm in cage and you can leave a little longer to see if poops.

Is butt messy or swollen ? Like are the edges of cloaca pink and plumped up and engorged?
Also a little update, I got her out for a bit, and she pooped! The biggest poop there is, she was holding it in, I suppose, she does that every now and then when she's in her cage. The whole butt area is just plump, probably because of another incoming egg, and it's purple, other than that nothing else. She has a few messy feathers this morning, I offered her a bath, but she didn't quite wanna take one, so I left her be as to not stress her, she ended up cleaning herself. Thank you for taking the time to reply :) I'm more at ease now

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Happy update!
Girls are stressful! I pretty much have a house full of them

Mangotart

Happy update!
Girls are stressful! I pretty much have a house full of them
Don't know how y'all pull it off for the past 6 years, I've been under the assumption that my lady is a boy, lo' and behold, when she gave me the most panic a few months ago with her first egg.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I sex everyone now. My first GCC I thought was a boy till I brought home Ta-dah and Burt laid eggs at ten!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Anything yet? I can’t imagine she can go too long without defecating, otherwise it is an emergency.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Mangotart did everything sort itself out? Is your bird doing ok now?
Try and keep that cabinet sectioned off because laying an egg a month, even though they might only be one or two eggs, is a problem and could be dangerous. Remember to supplement around laying times with some calcium rich foods like carrots, sesame seeds, dill, maybe some egg food :)

Mangotart

Anything yet? I can’t imagine she can go too long without defecating, otherwise it is an emergency.
Oh no no, turns out at the time she was holding it in! Gave me a scare though, once I let her out, she dropped quite the big one. I noticed she doesn't quite fancy going in her cage, unless she really has to

Mangotart

@Mangotart did everything sort itself out? Is your bird doing ok now?
Try and keep that cabinet sectioned off because laying an egg a month, even though they might only be one or two eggs, is a problem and could be dangerous. Remember to supplement around laying times with some calcium rich foods like carrots, sesame seeds, dill, maybe some egg food :)
The mango is doing well, thank you for your concern :) That cabinet is gonna be the death of me some day. I have sectioned it off once more, and I intend on adding some piece of fabric, so she can't chip on it any further. So far there hasn't been any sight of any other egg, and her weight seems to be around her usual weight as well. I provided egg food, calcium block, and her beetroots and carrot chop. We're on the journey of converting to pellets, so I tend to give her pellet paste like with seeds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm glad she is ok!
My girls will hold poops a bit longer during the laying period, then poop huge wet ones.

I noticed she doesn't quite fancy going in her cage, unless she really has to
She won't poop in her cage? Or she doesn't want to be caged?

Mangotart

She won't poop in her cage? Or she doesn't want to be caged?
Won't poop in her cage, though it's not like a usual thing, sometimes she'd hold it, and other times she wouldn't. She's out for like 6-7 hours a day, and put back for sleep time. This whole habit of holding back poops only became a thing this year to be honest. I didn't think she was holding it in at the time I made this post, silly me.