• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help! Phoenix can't breathe through nose...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
My poor Phoenix (macaw) woke up with such a stuffy, congested nose that he can't breathe through his nose. There was so much mucus that it covered his whole upper beak.

The vet is not in until 3. Poor baby! What in the world could be wrong with him? I had a cold last week but the vet said they cannot catch our colds. What can I do to help him until 3?

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I would steam up the bathroom and take him in there for a few minutes.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Good advice to steam up the bathroom and take him into the steamy room:hug8:

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Ok, I will do that. We have 90% humidity here in FL, you would think that would be enough! We have 3 air filters, one by each macaw cage and one by the cockatoo. I guess it could be an allergy thing, but I definitely want the vet to reassure me.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh dear,I agree right into the shower he goes. I hope your baby boy will be ok.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I hope that the steam will help:hug8:Please keep Us posted after You have taken him to the Vet:hug8:

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Thank you!

Haha, he keeps trying to fly into the shower! I don't want him to be wet right now so I won't let him go in. He is so confused, he knows that when he hears the shower, it is time to go in!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He may have a sinus infection. If so, the vet may do a nasal flush and prescribe some antibiotics.

The steamy bathroom will definitely help :hug8: If you're not taking him in until three, can he not have a shower? I've showered Max and taken him in later in the afternoon. Seems like being right under the warm water is helpful to clear the nares.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Thanks Holiday...I was reading through some threads you posted about Max having something similar, what ended up being his diagnosis?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Holiday...I was reading through some threads you posted about Max having something similar, what ended up being his diagnosis?
He had a sinus infection, and he is prone to chronic sinus issues. He's hypersensitive to dust and to dry air. So, I have to keep his room filtered and humidified. He has to be steamed weekly to keep the problems at bay. Really, what I need to do is get the p'lets out of his room (they're dustier than you might think), and I do intend to, if I can find them a suitable situation. I don't have another room here for them.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You can also maybe hold a warm wash cloth over his nares to see if it will loosen up some the gunk.

Ginger

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Aww poor little baby.. :( It sounds like he has some sorta infection.. Will definitely needs antibiotics and a nasal flush from the vets.. Mikey had this same problem in the beginning of the year.. Mikey still needs nasal flushes about once a month so me and my dad do them.. Definitely as others have said a nice steamy bathroom should help until you get to the vets.. :hug8:

Last edited:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck Chantel hope phoenix gets feeling better.I can't give you any advice.I know nothing about Macaws.Keep us updated.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Chantel I agree with the steamy bathroom, if it isn't a problem maybe you could let Phoenix go ahead and have a shower, that would be a good way to get his nares and beak cleaned up without having to do a rub. It should help him to sneeze and loosen that junk up.

Can't wait to hear what your vet does.

Sending you and Phoenix positive energy. :hug8:

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
:hug8:

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Remember, when at the vets and they do a culture have the sensitivity done also before any antibiotics are given. You want to make sure you are giving one that will kill whatever might be growing and not just a stab in the dark. That test is going to cost more granted but it is always better to do it right the first time around.

People need to make it a habit to have it done and not allow the vet to just give any drug to a) hope like heck the guess is the correct one, and b) get the patient out the door and if it doesn't work, what the heck, they will be back for another visit.

TheBeesKnees

Real Name
Lindsey Champine
Yes, steaming up the shower should help! Too bad they don't have "netty pots" for macaws! Hope he'll be ok!! Please keep up updated!! :hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Please keep us updated on your darling phoenix :hug8: A hot steamy bathroom always helps relieve my sinuses, so it hopefully works on Phoenix :hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Good advice from above on the effects of steam. Many times a good steam will breakup any debris and mucus and it will drain. When using a humidifier alway add a few drops of GSE or F-10 to keep it disinfected.

F-10 has become the disinfectant of choice for many veterinary practices. Here is a good read on F-10 being used for respiratory bacterial and fungal infection in birds: F-10 Respiratory Here is a link to more information in our store: F-10 Wingedvictorys.

Status
Not open for further replies.