• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help needed with a chipped and bleeding beak

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Good you took him to the vet for the meds as likely he is in pain.
Hopefully he will heal quickly without any deformities!

Did she say if you have to watch his diet? Can he still eat?
You might want to think about offering soft food or his pellets soaked in juice or water?

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Good you took him to the vet for the meds as likely he is in pain.
Hopefully he will heal quickly without any deformities!

Did she say if you have to watch his diet? Can he still eat?
You might want to think about offering soft food or his pellets soaked in juice or water?

I'm hoping he will. She thinks that when his beak grows it might be sideways because of where the fracture is.

She said that he would be capable of eating and there is no need to change his diet, but I think for a few days I'm going to just try soft foods. I know how hard is to chew and try and eat with a bruised jaw so I imagine it's the same for him.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Poor Mochi! I'm so sorry that this happened . I'm glad that you guys were able to get to the vet though. Wishing a Mochi a full and speedy recovery!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I guess it does have to grow out & being its so high on top it will take a long time.
It's not like a bone that night fuse. I guess its too high near the nares that it can't be glued. (I don't know if they do that but it would help stabilize it if it was lower).
Luckily if its more of a fracture & not an open chipped break as I suppose that would be worse.

Seems your bird was lucky as in some cases the beak does not grow back. Sad

Good you got your bird treated by the vet.

Bird Beak Injury

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To hopefully make you feel better, here's a picture of Josie's beak injury, and her recovery. It's 100% better today, you can't even see it :)

josie-beak-progress.jpg

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
@camelotshadow Great read. Mhmmm I'm counting my stars that his beak will most likely grow back eventually. Just a waiting game now.

@JosienBB That really gives me hope! I'm so happy that Josie got through it :) And she's a beauty.