• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help my bird can't walk/stand on perches (sad update #21)

Echo tweet

Moving in
Okay so my bird has his bone exposed the skin on it broke and he's very skinny despite being fed what do I do? I can't take him to the vet (also he still eats and drinks he can fly still he seems normal despite being skinny and his leg does not work 1 of them does work) his toes don't work on the foot with the band don't work. This started about a week or 2 ago and it got to the point where his feet have trouble using the toes any advice? 16389259084791124396046.jpg

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m not able to make out anything on the leg in your photo unfortunately.

He needs a vet asap if there’s exposed bone!

Why do you say you can’t take him to the vet? If he needs medical treatment you need to find a way for that to happen.

Exposed bone must be excruciatingly painful.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Avian vet asap

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He needs to see a vet. If it's a matter of finances, you can look into CareCredit which offers credit for vet bills at no interest if you pay it back within a certain time.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How long has the bone been exposed? Has he been given any sort of treatment? Medication? Exposed bone puts him in danger of infection, and he's likely in a lot of pain which is a huge tax on the body.

Echo tweet

Moving in
How long has the bone been exposed? Has he been given any sort of treatment? Medication? Exposed bone puts him in danger of infection, and he's likely in a lot of pain which is a huge tax on the body.
I've given him lemon mixed with antibiotic water and apple cider he improved its only 1 leg that won't work but the working leg is a tiny bit exposed his legs are not working he himself is fine and he's been like this for a few days though he does not seem too bothered by it. I am checking vets in my area to see who is the closest how much do avian vets tend to cost?

Echo tweet

Moving in
I’m not able to make out anything on the leg in your photo unfortunately.

He needs a vet asap if there’s exposed bone!

Why do you say you can’t take him to the vet? If he needs medical treatment you need to find a way for that to happen.

Exposed bone must be excruciatingly painful.
The bone is clean and he uses one of his legs dispite it being a little exposed I suspected one of my females attacked him because she started laying egg so maybe she was aggressive and attacked him but the leg is not bloody at all

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Does not matter that the bone appears to be clean and the leg is not bleeding. You do know that bacteria and germs can’t be seen by the naked eye I would assume. Your bird won’t show that it’s in pain or injured- it’s in their nature to hide this stuff so they’re not seen as easy prey.

Please mention your general location so other members can assist you in finding a bird vet asap…. Can you try to imagine how bad your pain levels would be if your bone was exposed??

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Cost is going to be totally dependent on your area as well as what needs to be addressed. An appointment can be anywhere from $50 to $200.

The longer something goes without being tended to, the harder it can be to address. Antibiotic water is hard to know how much they are ingesting to be sure they are getting enough to be actually beneficial. At the extreme least, this bird needs his leg properly bandaged, a proper dosing of antibiotics, and pain medication. I would also cage him separately for now.

Echo tweet

Moving in
Does not matter that the bone appears to be clean and the leg is not bleeding. You do know that bacteria and germs can’t be seen by the naked eye I would assume. Your bird won’t show that it’s in pain or injured- it’s in their nature to hide this stuff so they’re not seen as easy prey.

Please mention your general location so other members can assist you in finding a bird vet asap…. Can you try to imagine how bad your pain levels would be if your bone was exposed??
I'm in ct the bird is next to me from when I get home to when I go the sleep to make sure he's fine he drinks and eats normal if I can find a vet I'll have to save up for it

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ditto. This bird is suffering without medical treatment from a vet. There are no home remedies for an exposed bone. The longer you delay the more quickly microorganisms will spread throughout the body. Apply for Care Credit. This is a true emergency, do not delay because of money.

Echo tweet

Moving in
Ditto. This bird is suffering without medical treatment from a vet. There are no home remedies for an exposed bone. The longer you delay the more quickly microorganisms will spread throughout the body. Apply for Care Credit. This is a true emergency, do not delay because of money.
Is there anything I can do to clean it? I'm looking up vets

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do not touch it, do not put anything on it, go to the vet asap. Don't mess around with cleaning it - bone is living, vascular tissue and can be damaged with the wrong cleaners.

If you can't afford treatment, I think you seriously need to consider euthanisa. This bird must be in horrific pain. You cannot treat this without veterinary attention, and exposed bone is very prone to infection. There are zero ways in which this will get better on its own, and many ways it will get worse.

There is no shame in opting for euthanasia: treating this is likely to be involved and may require at least one operation under anaesthesia. Deciding not to put a very small, already skinny and fragile bird through this process is completely understandable, and may well be in the bird's best interest.

Echo tweet

Moving in
Do not touch it, do not put anything on it, go to the vet asap. Don't mess around with cleaning it - bone is living, vascular tissue and can be damaged with the wrong cleaners.

If you can't afford treatment, I think you seriously need to consider euthanisa. This bird must be in horrific pain. You cannot treat this without veterinary attention, and exposed bone is very prone to infection. There are zero ways in which this will get better on its own, and many ways it will get worse.

There is no shame in opting for euthanasia: treating this is likely to be involved and may require at least one operation under anaesthesia. Deciding not to put a very small, already skinny and fragile bird through this process is completely understandable, and may well be in the bird's best interest.
I've found a vet idk when he can go but I'll see he's next to me rn I am comforting him

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm not saying this to be mean or cruel but you need to get this bird to avian vet ASAP!!! A exposed bone is deathly serious to his health, well being and life. The longer you leave this the more dangerous it becomes for him and bigger the bill from the vet. If you can not afford the vet then highly recommend to give him up to nearest rescue and let them take care him. Birds hide their weakness, illnesses and pain very well just becuz he is eating & drinking does not mean he is NOT in pain lots of pain.
Where in CT are you and maybe we can help you find a vet? If you are minor then you need to get your parent's help right now.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I've found a vet idk when he can go but I'll see he's next to me rn I am comforting him
I live with constant chronic pain and I can only assume what I deal with is not going to be any where near as bad as having actual bone exposed- I can guarantee you that not even my most favorite person sitting next to me is comforting as far as pain goes- pain relieving medication is the only comfort I can get as far as the pain.

This is actually horribly cruel making him wait and live without pain relief, correct antibiotics or proper treatment. Imagine you being made to sit and suffer and make do with exposed bone- put yourself in this little ones position. He can not help himself and relies on you to what is right.

Please do the responsible and right thing and just get this bird to a vet asap (like now, no excuses) - any vet!
If you can not afford to even have it checked out then I guess you are unlikely to afford the surgery and ongoing medications and many vet visits to rectify the injury, the best you could do is have him euthanized to finish his suffering. There is no shame in ending his suffering- there is shame in turning a blind eye or making excuses as to why it is ok to leave him in the horrific physical state you describe he is in.

Echo tweet

Moving in
I live with constant chronic pain and I can only assume what I deal with is not going to be any where near as bad as having actual bone exposed- I can guarantee you that not even my most favorite person sitting next to me is comforting as far as pain goes- pain relieving medication is the only comfort I can get as far as the pain.

This is actually horribly cruel making him wait and live without pain relief, correct antibiotics or proper treatment. Imagine you being made to sit and suffer and make do with exposed bone- put yourself in this little ones position. He can not help himself and relies on you to what is right.

Please do the responsible and right thing and just get this bird to a vet asap (like now, no excuses) - any vet!
If you can not afford to even have it checked out then I guess you are unlikely to afford the surgery and ongoing medications and many vet visits to rectify the injury, the best you could do is have him euthanized to finish his suffering. There is no shame in ending his suffering- there is shame in turning a blind eye or making excuses as to why it is ok to leave him in the horrific physical state you describe he is in.
I know I am going to take him when I can calling me cruel is not helping I'll take him as soon as I can and I'm doing all I can rn I'll update when I get him there I love him very much and seeing him like this hurts me too I am gonna take him when I can maybe tomorrow but If I can't I'll keep trying to take him to the vet since no one is available to take me there

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I know I am going to take him when I can calling me cruel is not helping I'll take him as soon as I can and I'm doing all I can rn I'll update when I get him there I love him very much and seeing him like this hurts me too I am gonna take him when I can maybe tomorrow but If I can't I'll keep trying to take him to the vet since no one is available to take me there
I did ask you what the reason was you said you could not take him to the vet.... if you are a minor and are relying on adults then I am extremely sorry for being so straight forward and talking to you like you are the responsible adult and like you are in charge of this birds health and safety, I understand it hurts watching an animal that you love suffer unnecessarily when you are not the person who is allowed to make the decisions regarding the right thing to do.
FYI: I did not call anyone cruel, I understand that would not be helping in any way and I am not really into name calling It unfortunately seems like all attempts to suggest how you can be helped such as asking for general location, suggesting care credit and stressing how important correct medical care from a qualified person have been totally ignored! I am not sure what to say other than trying to impress upon you how much your birds life is in serious danger of ending horribly- by the time your bird is showing pain, discomfort or illness it is going to be 99% likely that it will not survive much longer let alone survive the medical care it needs asap.
I stated not taking him to the vet was cruel. Put simply... It is!

If you can take the advice here and actually answer the questions asked to the best of your ability then maybe we can make some progress instead of going around in circles while your bird is in pain and is most likely acquiring a life threatening infection- we are trying to help best we can here but you must understand that your company, home remedies and trying is not something we can work with or anything that will save your bird.

Can you tell me if you are a minor? If you are then please do not mention your age. I ask as it will give me and others a better understanding of what you are working with and what we can suggest to possibly help.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Considering that in human a compound fracture (ie: the bone is exposed) the ER is going to give you some very strong pain meds to combat the pain and do immediate surgery to realign that bone. Do the right thing as soon as possible. This poor lil one is suffering whether you believe or not.

Echo tweet

Moving in
I'm not saying this to be mean or cruel but you need to get this bird to avian vet ASAP!!! A exposed bone is deathly serious to his health, well being and life. The longer you leave this the more dangerous it becomes for him and bigger the bill from the vet. If you can not afford the vet then highly recommend to give him up to nearest rescue and let them take care him. Birds hide their weakness, illnesses and pain very well just becuz he is eating & drinking does not mean he is NOT in pain lots of pain.
Where in CT are you and maybe we can help you find a vet? If you are minor then you need to get your parent's help right now.
Yes I am a minor I asked my parents and they said the