• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help me! My baby swallowed the button of my cell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aepyornis

Meeting neighbors
I am very concerned. My baby red-bellied parrot of 11 months just swallowed one of the soft keyboard buttons of my cell phone. She did not flinch. She is so joyful,like nothing happened. What if that button gets stuck in her digestive track? Oh boy! What am I gonna do?:confused::(:(

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I hope someone has some good advice, I haven't the slightest idea. Good luck :hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no,Im not sure. Im sure someone that has some ideas about this will come along soon :hug8:

Aepyornis

Meeting neighbors
Thank you Erika and April for your hugs. I am giving her treats right now. I feel so guilty and emotions running high!!! The soft plastic buttons of the cell looked so secure, but she took it right off. I thought she will spit it out. Nope!!! Swallowed it like marshmallow!!!:(

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
peanut butter! hope it will attach to it and go through system...check poops for the next 24 hours....are you positive she swollowed it?????

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Try and relax......

Locate an avian vet near you just in case. Write down the phone number and address and print a mapquest map if you don't know where to go, Now try calling the vet, did he answer? If not tell us about the button, what is it made of and how large is it? Is it smooth or have rough edges? Are you sure the bird did not fling or drop the button?

Gary

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Sorry if I sounded harsh, I was thinking a vet may know what to do. And you should not feel guilty! You did nothing wrong!

Aepyornis

Meeting neighbors
GetAttachmenkjhffsfdgfjhjht.jpg Look at this pic, she is so innocent and clueless. Like nothing happened!!!! I have vet appointment at tomorrow noon already thank god! Hopefully till morning she will be ok.:(:(:confused:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Can you FEEL it in the crop???? I mean towel the bird and check the crop out with your fingers...IF you feel it...I would call an emergency vet and go from there...they could get it out!

Aepyornis

Meeting neighbors
Billie Fay. I looked throughly in the cage I could not see it. It is a little squishable black plastic button! Do you think, peanut butter would help? I will go to the 24 grocery right now! Thank you. Gary, it is a Samsung phone with a slider keyboard. The edges of the button is rounded and very soft and less than half an inch long. Vet is far away and very expensive this hour. I just want to slap myself!!!! carkam. Thanks. It is fine!

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Raymond :]
Sorry I have no advice but I will keep you and your fid in my prayers~ :hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I would try feeling for it in the crop first! How long ago did this happen? If you don't feel it and I'm talking taking the fingers (thumb and fore finger and "massaging" the crop to see if you feel anything like it in the crop!...If not...go get peanut butter and see your vet in AM...it probably won't show up on an xray..but he would know better than me! Hugs,

ashbirdlady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
It may have bounced off the cage and on the floor somewhere too. Watch the poops and the bird closely. Take your bird to the vet tomorrow.
No more long distance calls little one!;)
Christa

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
What I have used in the past for situations like this is ,"Slippery Elm", it coats the digestive tract and is also very slippery which helps objects pass. Slippery Elm will also help control bleeding should there be any. I might sound like a broken record on the Slippery Elm today but it is something every bird keeper have in their tool box. Like BF said peanut butter will bind to the object and help it pass also. If the object is still in the crop you vet may be able to retrieve it.

Try calling the vet as it is hard for me to visualize the size of the button and how pliable it is.

Gary

Aepyornis

Meeting neighbors
Billie. I felt the crop I could feel the button but the sun seed treats that I have given her. I pressed the crop a little to feel the content inside. Do you think I injured her or what? Oh boy. This is going downward spiral!!!!!!!! Thanks Raymond!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Billie Fay. I looked throughly in the cage I could not see it. It is a little squishable black plastic button! Do you think, peanut butter would help? I will go to the 24 grocery right now! Thank you. Gary, it is a Samsung phone with a slider keyboard. The edges of the button is rounded and very soft and less than half an inch long. Vet is far away and very expensive this hour. I just want to slap myself!!!! carkam. Thanks. It is fine!
yes peanut butter will help if he actually ingested it - it could have as easily fallen in a crack in the cage or be under it or part way across the room - those buttons are soft and they will bounce further than you think

I get on my hands/knees and try to look 'eye level' across the floor when looking for something small - sometimes it helps

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
If you can feel the button in the crop along with the seeds...I would call the emergency vet and see if you can get him there and have them get it out of the crop BEFORE it get to the gizzard...it may not pass through the gizzard...this is why you need to talk to the vet ASAP!

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please be easy on the crop! I have seen some good size chunks of wood pass through a macaws digestive tract, a birds gizzard is powerful and grinds away at seeds, nuts, nut shells, and wood.

I would rather you hear it from your avian vet that the object will pass.

Gary

Aepyornis

Meeting neighbors
Gary. How do I give slippery elm to a bird. The liquid form is better? One or two drops?
GG. My place is so crowded. It is hard to see. I looked around carefully though. It is possible that she threw the button away, but I doubt it. It felt like there was smth. in her mouth after she took it off. How to give the peanut butter to her?

Status
Not open for further replies.