• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help Me Make My Mash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmoKramer

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zach
With summer right around the corner, our garden growing and starting to bloom, and the low amount of veggie mash I have left I thought this might be a fun thing to do! I would ask everyone to post what their fid's favorite veggie is and/or one veggie you think is important to supply them with. Im then going to take the list and make my next mash out of those veggies. :) I dont know about others but I am sometimes afraid to branch out with veggie choice because Im afraid they may dislike it! :o:

Here is how I currently feed. They get their mash made up of different veggies. Then I always have bags of frozen corn, peas, and green beans because those are absolute favorites! I cook those in the steam cooker. This year in the garden I got some special bird only plants (The other family members shall not be stealing them and using them for themselves :p) which will supply me with their fresh veggies which includes zuchini, green and red bell and jalepeno peppers, and cucumbers. There are also sweet potatoes but those wont be ready till fall time.

I cant wait to see what your fids enjoy and Im excited to make this mash! Oh and if you want to put down a few different ones for a nice variety it would be more then welcomed :D :highfive:

kastelling

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
I just made veggie mash yesterday. http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-food-court/51083-its-mash-making-day.html

I vary the veggies and leafy greens and fresh herb each time, but almost always include carrots, broccoli, some sort of sweet and/or spicy pepper, sweet potato or winter squash, garlic and ginger. Carrots are always a favorite, as is okra and all types of peppers from super sweet to scary spicy. My birds are NOT good about eating leafy greens (well, Tonka will eat them but not Perry or Violet) so I put lots in every mash- I think they are very important! The nice thing about mash, my birds eat it with anything added. Once they are accustomed to the mash concept, you can change out any or all the veggies that you want and they will still eat it!

Other veggies I will add: radishes, caulifloew, brussell sprouts, all types of summer squashes, turnip, beets, rutabagas,tomatoes in small amounts, kohlrabi

I cook big pots of different types of whole grains, spices and beans/lentils, etc. I freeze that seperately so I can mix and match with the veggie mash. And I add fruit fresh to each meal each day!

Status
Not open for further replies.