• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! kakariki gone real aggressive!

Tony Irela

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tony O Brien
Hi there could anyone help with my kakariki,s aggressive behaviours? He is treated perfectly and has a big cage and is let out as often as possible but has a mental obsession with his reflection now so I now have to go cover everything when I let him out? He also attacks now when I go near his cage,he is a year old in May but all this just seems to be getting progressively worse by the day no matter what I do? Any advice or help would gladly be appreciated thank you?

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Sounds like he might be hormonal!
Parrots go through a sort of 'teenager' phase occasionally, where all their hormones spike and they get very obsessive with things like reflections, dark spaces, etc, and also aggressive with us.
It should pass over soon.

Until then, you can make him warm chamomile tea (100% chamomile), increase sleep hours, during the day make sure theres no nesty areas for him, and youre not patting his body (you should only ever pat the head), ignoring/disengaging (but not punishing ofc!) if he tries to regurgitate on you, and I find cutting back on the sugary foods can help with it sometimes. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I agree Hormones run amuck. Cut back on fresh foods, more "Night Time" sleep. Remove anything that they can see there reflection in. And don't pet or even touch them anywhere besides their head. It happens to all bird sooner or later. I have to Hormone Crazed Green Cheek Conures driving me nutz right now. But as they say "This to shall pass"...if I won't I be crazy though I can't say.

Tony Irela

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tony O Brien
Sounds like he might be hormonal!
Parrots go through a sort of 'teenager' phase occasionally, where all their hormones spike and they get very obsessive with things like reflections, dark spaces, etc, and also aggressive with us.
It should pass over soon.

Until then, you can make him warm chamomile tea (100% chamomile), increase sleep hours, during the day make sure theres no nesty areas for him, and youre not patting his body (you should only ever pat the head), ignoring/disengaging (but not punishing ofc!) if he tries to regurgitate on you, and I find cutting back on the sugary foods can help with it sometimes. :)
Thank you I will try this