• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help .... export / import !!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turacan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hm
hi , i live in the uk. i have a large aviary and want some hornbills or softbills for it , there is a very scarce amount of foreign hornbill / softbill breeders in the uk so i was wondering if anyone knew if it was legal to import birds from the us to uk , and if you need some sort of licence to do so.Also if i would be able to import birds legally does anyone know of any toucan turaco toucanet aracari breeders in the us which will be willing to export over to uk.
thanks. IMAG0036.jpg

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I believe it is legal but there a lengthy quarantine period on any animal...I believe it is six months...

turacan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hm
thanks for the reply , 6 months that's a very long time. would they keep the birds apart in the quarantine area , or as pairs.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Actually- the import regs for the UK will change dramatically at the start of the new year. With proper preparation and documentation there will no longer be any quarantine from EU, the US or Australia for cats and dogs. New rules mean it will be easier and cheaper to travel abroad with pets « Defra News
I am not sure how this will effect avian import/export, but it will definitely be important to get good info from the government agencies since they should have the most up to date information.

turacan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hm
thanks sharpie , i will be contacting my local government agency to find out.by the way would Chris at toucan jungle know about exporting birds to uk?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Last edited:

turacan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hm
does Susanne export birds,and how much is she selling the aracaris for.

turacan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hm
thanks i will get in touch with her, also i have looked at Birds4SaleUK and a lot of them are fake . the advertisers claim they are on holiday and want payments via paypal , then they would ship birds over ( without paper work or any sort of proof).
also i brought pair of white cheeked turacos they are related male and female , do you think it would be ok to breed them or will it destroy there gene pool.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would not breed a related pair of birds, no. You definitely have to be careful who you deal with. There are a lot of scammers. There are also a lot of good people who have been around a Long time. Susanne may be able to help. You will see the same sellers over and over on the second softbill site I posted. They are real people who have been on there a long time. If they were scammers they would not still be there. I have no experience with the first site, just noticed it when I went to look up the second one.

turacan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hm
do you have susanne's email address

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm fairly certain that you cannot import a bird from the US but not completely certain. We stopped importing/exporting in 1992 or thereabouts. If it were your pet and you were moving from the US to the UK, you would be able to do so but would need CITES permits and would have to go through a lot of red tape. I have no idea what the laws in the UK are, but you might want to look into them. As far as softbills are concerned, you'll probably have a better chance of getting them out of the Asian areas of the world, but once again, I don't know what their import/export laws are either.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I believe many of the Asian countries allow exporting birds. But many/majority are wild caught. You really want to make sure the birds you are getting are bred in captivity and not taken from the wild.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It depends on the species. Certain species (mainly finches and softbills) can still be imported/ exported to/from the US.

Matt

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
does Susanne export birds,and how much is she selling the aracaris for.
----------------------------------------------------------------

The last time I have shipped overseas was to Japan in 2002, which was cockatiels. I have no clue now what to do. I would like to know because I just had an inquiry from Germany for mousebirds.

Status
Not open for further replies.