• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Caique under 1yr becoming sexual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
I'm really sure that Althea just tried to masturbate on my hand. We were wrestling with her on her back and then she gave me a gurge(nothing came out just the motion) then when she stepped up she tried to rub her vent side to side on my hand and I made her step down and I walked away. I've never had a bird do anything sexual at all so I really don't know what to do. She's very cuddly and always has been I avoid touching her lower back but admittedly might snuggle her too much and touch her upper back. The only experience I have with a sexual bird is a friend's budgie when we were kids but she did what her family called the "U" where she presented herself. I'm afraid and dont know what to do. I don't want her laying eggs and having any complications with that. She isn't territorial over me or her cage and interacts with other people very well though not as closely. Help please I don't know if there's anymore I should add to this if so ask.

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
I handle it the same way I would if a dog tried to hump my leg, or if I caught my teenager reading adult literature. For example, with the dog, you don't let them keep humping your leg, you move them away. But you also don't shame them, punish them, put them in a crate or ostracize them from your presence. It's normal. Same with the teenager... you certainly don't provide them with better quality adult literature, nor do you shame them or punish them by not allowing them to interact with the family. This is what can sometimes happen with birds, as some tend to "put them away" and remove them from human interaction. I don't find that productive at all. The bird is doing what comes natural. It does not mean the bird is extra bonded to you - in this case, your hand or arm is an object and a replacement for a toy and a means of gratification. That doesn't mean I let the bird do it on my hand, but I understand this is a natural part of their growing up and hormonal production. I find it is helpful to try to distract them to a different activity. Like if a dog was humping your leg, you would remove him (or not let him start), and then try to get him interested in a rawhide, take him for a walk to work off some of that energy, etc.

Having a female bird that expresses hormones does not mean you are going to get eggs. Coco is a dna sexed 14 year old female and has never laid an egg. But she experiences hormones every year just like every other healthy bird. So... deep breath... watch the bird for signs that she might be thinking about using your hand as a gratification toy, and change the subject. ;)

Ben

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Thank you soooooo much!!! You put that very well. I was really worried because I've never had something like this happen to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.