• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help Bed Bugs!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
If you move, all of your things will need to be fumigated or sprayed anyway. The bed bugs lay eggs on anything and furniture, clothing, everything will have to be either washed or sprayed. I don't envy you this job. Good Luck.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You need to report this to the health board in your city. The landlord should treat the building. Is there anything in the lease addressing bed bugs? Do you have renter's insurance? I read an article about a woman in NYC who ended up walking away from her apt. and everything she owned as the landlord would not treat the bugs (eventually I believe he was forced to). I think her renter's insurance covered her lost items. Even if you yourself treat your unit, if the other units are not treated, they may very well come back.

If you are in NYC, here is a guide put out by the city:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/vector/bed-bug-guide.pdf

It says to call 311 to report landlords who do not respond to bed bugs.

This link states that tenants have a right to a bedbug free environment.

Bed Bugs - Information for Home Owners & Tenants

You are paying rent to sleep in a bathtub. This is not right. I would seriously consider contacting an attorney.

This is a nightmare and I am so sorry for you and your bird. I have never had bed bugs, but I am so scared of them that I am nervous to stay in hotels.

Lee

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee Penman
Lol....they, whom make massive amounts of rent money on a large building, expect you to care how much it'll cost?

How much will it cost them when people start leaving!

Exactly....and then more suckers will move in not knowing what awaits them.......

Lee

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee Penman
You need to report this to the health board in your city. The landlord should treat the building. Is there anything in the lease addressing bed bugs? Do you have renter's insurance? I read an article about a woman in NYC who ended up walking away from her apt. and everything she owned as the landlord would not treat the bugs (eventually I believe he was forced to). I think her renter's insurance covered her lost items. Even if you yourself treat your unit, if the other units are not treated, they may very well come back.

If you are in NYC, here is a guide put out by the city:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/vector/bed-bug-guide.pdf

It says to call 311 to report landlords who do not respond to bed bugs.

This link states that tenants have a right to a bedbug free environment.

Bed Bugs - Information for Home Owners & Tenants

You are paying rent to sleep in a bathtub. This is not right. I would seriously consider contacting an attorney.

This is a nightmare and I am so sorry for you and your bird. I have never had bed bugs, but I am so scared of them that I am nervous to stay in hotels.
Thank you so much...I am actually in Jersey City. I am going to report the building to the health board today. The landlords office say they are washing down the floors in the hallways regularily...but as we all know that does NOTHING....

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Your next move is to inform all the other tenants in the building so they are aware of what you are going through. If you have bugs, it will be just a matter of time before the other tenants will get them as well if they don't have them already. All the tenants need to work together as a team to get this problem rectified. The landlord is not looking at the big picture because he may be looking at an empty building for a very long time which will cost more than treatment itself.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Here we have what is called action news nine with Todd Ulrich. He really gets things done. We had a situation where Troy was at the ER, what had happened to him could have ended his life, and they were complacent enough about it to instead of treating him, go outside and watch the shuttle launch! Todd went into action, and the result was there were no charges for that visit to the hospital.
I do hope you can find a solution. This is a growing problem. It isn't even safe to go to five star hotels without fear of them hitching a ride home in your suitcase.

annie1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
manuela
i would tell them in the office that if they work there they also can carry them home catch and release some in the office and then point them out to who ever is in there u bet they will do something lol

Lee

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee Penman
I just spoke to the Super and he called for an exterminator. He showed me a log of apartments that have reported bed bugs and that they have been treated. The trouble with this building is (and no racism here....) it is primarily Indian, Turkish and Chinese so English isn't a first language and I am sure these people dont want to report anything.

However, to my situation, the Super said I can put Rico in a vacant apartment on my floor till its safe to return. Then once the place has been done a few times he will have all cracks and floors sealed. So maybe there is some hope....

One thing this explains is the terrible itchy skin I had been experiencing for a few weeks. I thought it was just dry skin!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is great news! Eww..it makes me itchy just thinking about it!:eek:

Lee

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee Penman
He gave me some spray but it is of course toxic to birds....if it was just me here I would blast the place with it and stay out all day......

Lee

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee Penman
Just an update...had the exterminator here this morning. Hadto bag clothes and empty drawers etc. He said my problem didnt look too bad anddidn't find any new bugs. He sprayed whole apartment, walls floors etc and putpowder in electrical sockets. Super gave me key to an empty apt on same floorwhile its drying. Guy said it will be ok to go back in a few hours but I will leaveit till late to be safe....
Having all cracks filled on Tuesday and maybe one moretreatment in a couple of weeks.....

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Good news! Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the end of the problem!

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Please do have a second treatment done, these things are notorious for a reason! I'm glad they're taking responsibility for the issue

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
many many yrs ago as a kid we had them mom and dad bought a house and we put every thing we owned in the basement some where they got a bomb put it in the basement and opened the canaster we were out of the house 48 hrs never had a problem after that

now living in an apt its a worry but thank heaven its goverment owned in the 13 yrs living up here its been the first time i havent seen any thing no bugs of any kind

im so sory your going through this but id take landlord to court and stop paying rent

hugs doll

Lee

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee Penman
Haven't seen anything since we moved back in late last night....glad I am getting all cracks sealed on Tuesday and will definitely get that second treatment...its worth it for peace of mind and at least its not costing me anything...

Lee

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee Penman
Been wondering how you were getting by. It's good that you got that under control. That's just creepy!
I haven't seen anything for over a week. I got all the floor seams cauked on Tuesday and am going to get another spraying of apartment probably this week just to be on the safe side. Also next time Rico and I go away for a few days I am going to spray the place out myself....just to be on the safe side!

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Happy to hear good news

Status
Not open for further replies.