• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help (Baby Macaw)

Polledk123

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Frederik Nielsen
Hej
I hope this is the right place to ask

i just got my baby blue yellow macaw he is 5-6 months Old he is really the best freinds i allways wanted.

but i have notice when we a playing he goes nuts like he have adhd, he is not mean he just wanna be close to me all the time, but i have notice he is breahting kinda like a dog not Much tho just a little bit, Can it be because he is stress or over excited, he seems fine eating drink and full of energy.
I bhought him from a breeder where he was going in a lillte cage

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Shezbug maybe able to help you

@troy @Macawnutz @Icey all have macaws will be able to help I am sure missing some brains not working at min

Polledk123

Real Name
Frederik Nielsen
Can they see my post ?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've edited your thread title to help people understand what you need help with. May get more people!

Has he ever been to a vet for a well bird checkup?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sharing a video of what you’re seeing will help others be able to tell you if what you’re seeing is normal.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
Hej
I hope this is the right place to ask

i just got my baby blue yellow macaw he is 5-6 months Old he is really the best freinds i allways wanted.

but i have notice when we a playing he goes nuts like he have adhd, he is not mean he just wanna be close to me all the time, but i have notice he is breahting kinda like a dog not Much tho just a little bit, Can it be because he is stress or over excited, he seems fine eating drink and full of energy.
I bhought him from a breeder where he was going in a lillte cage
There are many possible root causes for “labored breathing” which is how I interpreted your breathing kinda like a dog. Wirh Out seeing a video I am left to imagine a panting dog.

First rule out the simple things…

The bird could be hot and that is one way he is cooling off… he could be overheating from playing and exerting himself, your home maybe too warm…

After that you need to consider it might be a medical issue… from something as simple as an allergy, to something for complex like a respiratory issue. If you haven’t already done it… you should take the bird to an AVIAN VET and get a full blood panel, and tested
For diseases… I assume
Because you have the bird so early you got it a breeder, or a Birdstore and it wasn’t rehomed.
If the breeder and/or store are reputable the breeder should have had the bird tested and the should insisted it be tested. Because once it got to a bird store and it was exposed to all the other birds… depending on the store practices it could have been exposed to a virus or bacteria.

so get that done….

amd you will know for sure. Plus it’s a good idea to go to an avian vet so he can examine the bird and check things like bone structure, evaluate its coloring as sign of it having the proper nutrition, and make a determination of the birds overall health.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
Also, take a video of the head shaking adhd thing, it may just be normal bird behavior for him… my macaws all do different things with their heads… my blue and golds bob their heads and sometimes move their heads in a circular pattern when they are excite… usually when I see them first thing in the morning to put them outside.

Polledk123

Real Name
Frederik Nielsen
I cant post a video in here

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
You need to upload a video to utube or another platform and share video link on here

Polledk123

Real Name
Frederik Nielsen

Polledk123

Real Name
Frederik Nielsen

Polledk123

Real Name
Frederik Nielsen
Here are two videos i got him last friday, today he started acting like a baby he is 4-5 month Old

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He is hungry. They can act like babies when they are very hungry.

Get him some warm cooked smashed sweet potato. That should make him happy.

Polledk123

Real Name
Frederik Nielsen

Polledk123

Real Name
Frederik Nielsen
Does he Sound normal, he have just got some mashed up zupreem pellet :) but the other days he Will eat by him self but today he is acting like a baby.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At his age he should be able to eat dry foods, along with some fresh or steamed veggies (cool to room temp) & other wet foods. No in shell nuts yet. His beak needs to grow a bit yet for in shell nuts. Should be OK around 6 months or so. Mashed sweet potatoes are great. You can microwave a mashed sweet potato & remove the skin & mash it with a fork. Only takes a few minutes. Then cool to room temp.