• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent HELP. Baby love bird with strange air(?) bubbles near neck

Yasijoon

Moving in
Hi there. I just took in a baby lovebird from a friend who adopted it and definitely did not know how to care for him/her. Baby is said to be about 2 weeks old. I just got the brooding area set up and noticed the baby has a large amount of what seems to be air mixed with fluid in its crop. As well as two large bubbles near his/her neck. I will attach photos. Is there anything I can do until my vet is open tomorrow at 10 am?

Attachments

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's the normal anatomical location of some of the air sacs, but unfortunately I don't know enough about babies to tell you whether that particular appearance is normal or what to do.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Can you give me some history of the hand feeding? Formula, temperature of the brooder, temperature the formula being fed at.. All of it. If, the baby is not digesting the formula and it sits in the crop the formula can start to grow bacteria, fermentation of the food can form gas and fill the crop. Read this article:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hi there. I just took in a baby lovebird from a friend who adopted it and definitely did not know how to care for him/her. Baby is said to be about 2 weeks old. I just got the brooding area set up and noticed the baby has a large amount of what seems to be air mixed with fluid in its crop. As well as two large bubbles near his/her neck. I will attach photos. Is there anything I can do until my vet is open tomorrow at 10 am?
The most important thing you can do is try to get some warm ( 105 -107 degree) fluids in the chick. Have you ever hand fed before? What are you heating your brooder with? The inside temperature of the brooder should be 88-92 degrees. Keep this little one warm until you go to the vet.

Yasijoon

Moving in
The most important thing you can do is try to get some warm ( 105 -107 degree) fluids in the chick. Have you ever hand fed before? What are you heating your brooder with? The inside temperature of the brooder should be 88-92 degrees. Keep this little one warm until you go to the vet.
i am not sure as to the previous feeding method unfortunately. Was told everything was done correctly but since I didn’t see it with my own eyes I cannot comment. I have a plastic container with holes in it, and bedding in it and a toy for him to cuddle up with. Underneath the container I have a heating pad with a towel over it. Temperature is good. I got some warm formula into him (used temperature gauge), and added a couple of drops of acv. The poor little thing looks exhausted. Praying he makes it through the night

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
i am not sure as to the previous feeding method unfortunately. Was told everything was done correctly but since I didn’t see it with my own eyes I cannot comment. I have a plastic container with holes in it, and bedding in it and a toy for him to cuddle up with. Underneath the container I have a heating pad with a towel over it. Temperature is good. I got some warm formula into him (used temperature gauge), and added a couple of drops of acv. The poor little thing looks exhausted. Praying he makes it through the night
It's best you use a digital thermometer on the inside of the container to monitor the temperature. You might consider wrapping a towel around the outside of the container to retain heat. Leave half of the bottom of the underside of the container without heat so if the little one gets too warm it can move away from the heat source. What type of bedding are you using inside the container? Is that a digital thermometer you're using to check the temp of the formula? Is the crop hard or soft? If the crop is still full as it is in the photo you do NOT want to feed more formula but water instead at the required temperature. This crop needs to fully empty before you feed it again... but it's ok to give fluid to aid in the digestion. If the crop is filling with air then I suspect there is sour crop. This is a critical stage and will need a veterinarians attention. They may opt to flush the crop and put it on antibiotics to treat any bacterial or fungal infection. Babies pretty much, at this age, eat, poop and sleep.

Yasijoon

Moving in
It's best you use a digital thermometer on the inside of the container to monitor the temperature. You might consider wrapping a towel around the outside of the container to retain heat. Leave half of the bottom of the underside of the container without heat so if the little one gets too warm it can move away from the heat source. What type of bedding are you using inside the container? Is that a digital thermometer you're using to check the temp of the formula? Is the crop hard or soft? If the crop is still full as it is in the photo you do NOT want to feed more formula but water instead at the required temperature. This crop needs to fully empty before you feed it again... but it's ok to give fluid to aid in the digestion. If the crop is filling with air then I suspect there is sour crop. This is a critical stage and will need a veterinarians attention. They may opt to flush the crop and put it on antibiotics to treat any bacterial or fungal infection. Babies pretty much, at this age, eat, poop and sleep.
Yes I am using a digital thermometer. I wasn’t very prepared for this so he has paper towel down, toilet roll over it, and his toy and a soft blanket. He’s nice and warm. His crop is soft and feels like it is partially food and partially air. Should I add acv to the water once I have the water at the correct temp? Or just do plain water

Yasijoon

Moving in
I just administered some warm water (106). Small amount. He drank it right up. Sweetest little bird I’ve ever been around. So upsetting to see him like this. Morning can’t come soon enough

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
You can use 1/4 teaspoon of Unfiltered apple cider vinegar to 4 ounces of water... heat it to 105 degrees. In a couple hours check the crop to see if it is emptying. If the chick will accept a bit more of the water-vinegar every 2-3 hours it will help to keep his electrolytes up and keep him from getting dehydrated. How long ( Hours) has the crop looked full like in the photo? As I said, you do not want to add any new food on top of the old food. The crop must empty. Keep us updated about this little one.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Is it pooping any?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Is the apple cider vinegar you have the unfiltered kind?

Yasijoon

Moving in
You can use 1/4 teaspoon of Unfiltered apple cider vinegar to 4 ounces of water... heat it to 105 degrees. In a couple hours check the crop to see if it is emptying. If the chick will accept a bit more of the water-vinegar every 2-3 hours it will help to keep his electrolytes up and keep him from getting dehydrated. How long ( Hours) has the crop looked full like in the photo? As I said, you do not want to add any new food on top of the old food. The crop must empty. Keep us updated about this little one.
Apparently since yesterday the crop has looked full like in the photo. I have brags acv unfiltered. And yes he is pooping!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
And thank you for your help. It is much appreciated
You're quite welcome. I'm looking forward to updates with the little one. I'll be up for quite a while if you need to ask anything. At this point he should sleep for a bit. I forgot to ask what brand of formula was being fed.

Yasijoon

Moving in
Kaytee. Is there a better one you suggest? I will post some updated photos. The crop has went down a lot. It’s very soft. I can’t feel any food in it really, just liquid and air. I just woke him up to take some photos. He started chirping and was even trying to clean himself a bit

Attachments

Yasijoon

Moving in
You can’t tell from the photo but the crop still has a significant amount of air/gas in it mixed with fluid. It has went down a lot but not fully

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I would keep him on the kaytee for now. I used Zupreem Embrace when I hand fed my babies. If the crop looks significantly better in 2-3 hours I would give him a bit more of the water with the apple cider vinigar. If there is still air in the crop by the morning I would hold off feeding the formula until you see the vet... hopefully first thing in the morning. His crop needs to be fully empty before being fed. I would want to resolve the possible yeast infection before feeding to avoid perpetuating the problem he has. You should invest in a gram scale to keep track of his weight if you don't already have one. Make sure the vet weighs the baby. Is this an avian vet? They may want to swab the crop to see what bacteria, yeast or fungal infection he has to determine what antibiotic he needs if it is warranted.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I just wanted to say thanks for the photos. The next time you take any try to stretch the neck up a bit so we can see the crop better. You're doing a great job!

Yasijoon

Moving in
I just wanted to say thanks for the photos. The next time you take any try to stretch the neck up a bit so we can see the crop better. You're doing a great job!
I just woke up to check on the baby and his crop emptied and he was up and bright eyed when I opened the lid to his brooder. I just made his food and added a drop of acv, checked the temp and we were good to go. He was starving and he ate perfectly. Now he’s sleeping. No air bubbles, no problems! He’s now sleeping next to his little toy. Thank you so much for the support and help. I will probably end up taking him to the vet today just to be safe and have him looked at but thank god it doesn’t feel so scary now