• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
Hello!
So this is where all the fun people are hiding at! Well I decided to join the fun. :dance4:
For those who don't know me my name is Herdis and I'm from Iceland. I own a Scarlet fronted conure named Jacob. He is 4 years old, rehomed several times and has been with me for five months now. We are his 5th family.

Here is Jacob enjoying a piece of bread for lunch.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Hello and welcome to the Avenue :hug8:

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
Welcome Herdis! Can't imagine why anyone could relinquish a beauty like Jacob. Those eyes! Look forward to hearing more about you and Jacob :)

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome Herdis :welcomesign: Im glad you made it in :D

I never realized you were from iceland, that is so cool!! My sister and her family lived there for 13+ years and she loved it there.

Jacob is just too cute, I love that pic :)

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
:welcome:

Hello Herdis!

Welcome to the neighborhood!!
I think Jacob is beautiful, I wonder if that is what we call a Cherry head?? Anybody know??

Please jump right in the Avenue and have fun and we :heart: photos!

BTW.........:AArocks:

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Welcome Herdis :welcomesign: Im glad you made it in :D

I never realized you were from iceland, that is so cool!! My sister and her family lived there for 13+ years and she loved it there.

Jacob is just too cute, I love that pic :)
Thank you for your help :) So your sister lived here for 13 years! did you ever visit her?
:welcome:

Hello Herdis!

Welcome to the neighborhood!!
I think Jacob is beautiful, I wonder if that is what we call a Cherry head?? Anybody know??

Please jump right in the Avenue and have fun and we :heart: photos!

BTW.........:AArocks:
No Jacob is not a Cherry head. The Scarlet fronted conure is a subspecies of Red fronted conure. They are the second largest conure and rather uncommon since they are hard to breed. I don't think you will find them in the USA. Jacob was bred in the UK and then imported to Iceland 4 years ago.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Thank you for your quick response!!

I have never seen them here them. Second largest hey, they must be pretty large the Patagonias are HUGE conures (to me).

More pics please.:dancing:

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
Hi Herdis :greet14:

Nice to see you and Jacob here.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Thank you for your quick response!!

I have never seen them here them. Second largest hey, they must be pretty large the Patagonias are HUGE conures (to me).

More pics please.:dancing:
They are very big compared to Suns and GCC or 15.5 in long. You want more pics? Your wish is my command :p

On a visit at my mum's, having some quality time with that handsome parrot in the mirror.

After a shower

and a small video a made of Jacob and his favorite toy

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Oh yes now I can he is large.

He is almost small cockatoo size!!

So glad you joned!:dance5:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for your help :) So your sister lived here for 13 years! did you ever visit her?
Unfortunately I never did make it there. :( I wanted to but never got my act together to get there. My parents had gone and the pics the brought back... Amazing!! i really regret not visiting when I had the chance, though it is great to have them all back here again :)

No Jacob is not a Cherry head. The Scarlet fronted conure is a subspecies of Red fronted conure. They are the second largest conure and rather uncommon since they are hard to breed. I don't think you will find them in the USA. Jacob was bred in the UK and then imported to Iceland 4 years ago.
That is really neat to know! What other kinds of birds to people typically have there? Its always interesting to me to see what is/isnt available in other countries.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome I am gllad you joined Jacob is just adorable thanks for sharing:hug8:

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Wow Jacob is adorable! Very interesting, too. He looks huge! Can't wait to hear more about you and your boy. :)

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Welcome to the Neighborhood!
Love the pictures of Jacob
Would love to know more about him etc....:hug8:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet-fronted_Parakeet
http://www.vivapets.com/breed/conure_aratinga_/216
Scarlet-fronted Conure (Aratinga wagleri) – This conure is similar to the Finch’s in color: green body with red crown and red feathers through the body. However this is bigger reaching up to 36 cm in length and it has several shades of green, almost yellow in the belly. It can also have a red breast band.
There is also information on them by calling them Scarlet Fronted Parakeets
This site has the sounds of them in the wild:
Scarlet-fronted Parakeet (Aratinga wagleri) | on-line sounds from xeno-canto/america

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis

Unfortunately I never did make it there. :( I wanted to but never got my act together to get there. My parents had gone and the pics the brought back... Amazing!! i really regret not visiting when I had the chance, though it is great to have them all back here again :)

That is really neat to know! What other kinds of birds to people typically have there? Its always interesting to me to see what is/isnt available in other countries.
That's to bad you never made it but Iceland will still be here whenever you decide to visit :)

but what birds we have... the most common ones are like everywhere else the budgies, tiels, finches and lovebirds. Most other species there are just a few individuals. Of conures I've seen suns and janday, then there are 6 scarlet fronted, one blue crowned and one patagonian. With bigger birds the greys have been bread here and also B&G macaw. There is one green wing for sale now. Hahn's macaw has also been bread here. I've seen sennies for sale. Of the Amazons I've seen blue fronts and orange winged. Right now there is one lutino blue front for sale. There is also SI eclectus, ringnecks and lories. A few species/individuals of cockatoos. And there is someone trying to breed hawk head parrots, at least you can place an order for one...
I've never seen a pionus or caiques. But the most bigger birds I mentioned are not common so you sort of have to jump at the chance when someone is being rehomed... They are also rather expensive.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Welcome Herdis, I'm so glad you joined us on the Avenue! Jacob is stunning and I had to watch his video a couple of times because hes so cute and funny. He looks like quite a fun character.

Attachments

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hawkheads in Iceland!! Maybe I will have to visit there sometime :D Hawkheads are my weakness. That sounds like a great variety of birds for sure, even if they are uncommon. The lutino blue front... I bet that is one amazing bird (and I bet pricey too!) :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.