• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!

borbhaus

Moving in
Real Name
Jesse Webster
:gcc1: Hello! :greet7: peanut 2.jpg
My name is Jesse. My pronouns are he/him I live in Washington State and I have had my lil feathered friend, Peanut, for almost 10 years now. We've moved a lot and when I got Peanut, I was around 12 or so and I'm 22 now, so I've moved with my parents twice out of my parents house, into an apartment with my best friend and now into a nice home with a few friends, their partners, and my partner. We are a big house (6 people!) and it does get busy in here. Peanut is why I'm here so I think that's a good place to start. Peanut is a green cheeked conure. We got him when I lived with my parents in MN from a breeder who was very overrun with her birds and couldn't take proper care of all of them due to the sheer quantity. Peanut had to be separated from their parents when they were born due to abuse from the parent birds who were understandably stressed by the environment and took it out on their young. I made the mistake of getting a pet store budgie a year prior and he died on me due to a disease he contracted from the pet store. I knew I wanted to try again but this time, I'd learned my lesson and looked for bird breeders in my area. We got a call from the bird breeder we were in contact with one evening, and she told us that Peanut and their three siblings weren't going to be able to be sold due to the beak and toe injuries they obtained. So she offered them to us for free. Peanut had part of his beak bitten off and the others were missing some toes! It was awful but we told her we'd take them all and find good homes for them. After a few months we couldn't keep all four birds (even though I wanted to at the time) my parents were getting grumpy about the bird poop. (I was 12) I kept Peanut because I felt he was the runt of the group and when we were trying to encourage the birds to fly, Peanut was stubborn in not wanting to go with the group and insisted on getting carried over to the rest of the birds instead. I've always been pretty protective of Peanut and have taken a lot of care to bird proof things around the house and make it a safe environment. We usually have to go to the vet regularly to trim their underbite due to the injury at birth, Peanut's lower mandible grows up instead of the upper mandible keeping it in check due to this. Peanut was hand raised by me and has always been very attached and affectionate. Fortunately not seeing me as a mate but certainly part of the flock. Peanut is female but we actually had no idea for a few years until Peanut laid an egg and so I've always just called peanut a lil dude or used he/him pronouns but for the sake of not confusing myself and others more, I'm just using they/them pronouns in this introduction. I would love to connect with other bird nerds to find more helpful tools and tips to use with Peanut. I think this new home is a hard transition for them and I really want Peanut to love it here and feel good. It is nearing the beginning of summer and I'm not sure how much hormones have been playing a roll in this but I've noticed some concerning behavior and I felt I needed to do more research and gain more insight into what the best action might be moving forward. Ive tried a lot of different techniques which I would go into in another thread but as an introduction, I feel like this was a pretty big one. If you have any questions or would like to know more, feel free to message me or comment. Thanks for reading! :birdance:
peanut eating.jpg peanut lick.jpg peanut.jpg

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Welcome Jesse & Peanut, and thanks for the great introduction!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Welcome! She is such a strong little cutie! :awww:

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
Awwww, Peanut is soooo cute! Sorry for the budgie that you lost. And, I also live in Washington State!

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
:hello1: and welcome to the Avenue!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:greet13: Welcome!

borbhaus

Moving in
Real Name
Jesse Webster
Welcome!

Should I call you “You” or “Hugh?”
My name is Jesse. So you can call me that. I’m a little confused what you mean to ask ?

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
:bliss: :welcomegroup:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
My name is Jesse. So you can call me that. I’m a little confused what you mean to ask ?
I was confused why you said we should call you “He” or “Him,” because “You” is the only way anyone would address someone here in the first person anyway.

I just want to make sure I’m addressing you in a way you won’t be offended!

Are you still confused?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I was confused why you said we should call you “He” or “Him,” because “You” is the only way anyone would address someone here in the first person anyway.

Are you still confused?
Jesse: your post was clear and I appreciate you naming your pronouns. Welcome to the forum: I have found it to be an inclusive space and as someone with gender queer family members and a trans ally, I really value that.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
OP (original poster) already said their name is Jesse and you can call him so.
I am also not understanding the confusion or who Hugh is. If you are using a laptop, names will appear under members profile pictures. If you use a tablet or ipad, you will need to turn it landscape to see that info. But Jesse did state their name clearly in the post.
Hope that clears it up.

borbhaus

Moving in
Real Name
Jesse Webster

Are you still confused?
I think even just in other folks comments I have been addressed in the third person and because I did put my pronouns in my introduction, that was a fully functional way to go about referring to me. *you* isnt gendered language so I don’t really take offense to that. It’s unfortunate that pronouns even just being simply stated in introductions about (mostly my bird and not so much my identity even) become such a big deal. I appreciate you not wanting to offend me but I’ve already stated what is respectful so at this point I’m not sure what you think is offensive. I’ma little confused about this “hugh” business but not really interested in trying to continue this tangent since I’m on here for Peanut and not for pronoun discourse. If you’d like to learn more about pronoun markers or how to use them, I think there’s plenty of resources out there to help give examples and expand your understanding.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Welcome!!

Looks like Peanut is living her best life! My Lovebird also pulled that stunt on me. I had her for about a year and a half (supposedly a DNA tested male) and suddenly... an egg! :wacky: The sample must have been contaminated.

borbhaus

Moving in
Real Name
Jesse Webster
Welcome!!

Looks like Peanut is living her best life! My Lovebird also pulled that stunt on me. I had her for about a year and a half (supposedly a DNA tested male) and suddenly... an egg! :wacky: The sample must have been contaminated.
That’s wild! I haven’t seen Peanut lay any eggs for years but I think that’s probably safer since I’m worried about egg binding. Ive recently been making little salad mixes for her and chopping up beets, carrots, cabbage and corn and corn is probably her favorite but I was surprised when she started picking at the cabbage! Peanut is such a picky eater but the photo where she’s eating was a birdy potato salad we made.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Welcome, and sorry you had to defend yourself right off the get go! :hug8: Sounds like Peanut is in a great place with a caring owner!