• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!

IraDracona

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Zoë
Hi, newbie here!

My name's Zoë and I've recently started working, doing long shifts, day or night, but usually only 3 per week. I might be moving soon to an area where I'll be working 4 days but slightly shorter hours. My other half is currently working fairly standard Monday-Friday hours doing temporary work but is looking for something permanent.

We share a rented property with another couple who have been my friends for years, as long as I've had my eldest budgie in fact. She owns a cat so the birds live in our bedroom.

I am currently the caretaker of 3 budgies, possibly 4 next year if the other budgie I previously owned comes to live with us. I'm considering a tiel as a possibility if we manage to get our own home and have enough space.

My eldest budgie, Munchy, is 9 currently, and was an only bird for 8 years until I moved out of my family home, where someone had been home all day. When I moved out I bought a second budgie, Peri, a young one because I hoped to tame him, and they eventually got along, although my elder budgie was very put out by this youngster to start with.

I was in the 3rd year of uni at the time, recently moved out for the first time, and became very stressed and felt like I wasn't giving the birds a good home. So they went to live with someone I know locally who has lots of different species of birds.

Roll on the summer once I had finished my course. Munchy and Peri had both settled in to their new home. The first lockdown here was just easing but my other half, who'd come back from uni himself, couldn't yet move in with me because of the rules. I was feeling lonely and wanted a companion and a creature to care for again. So, not knowing that there's a shop 30 minutes walk from me that sells budgies bred by the family who runs it, I went as far as the rules would allow to buy a bird from the store I'd bought Peri from.

I'd had both cockatiels and conures recommended to me as more suitable companion birds than budgies at the time, but a bit of research suggested that they were even more likely to have a problem with me being away than a single budgie would. So we set up a space in the living room that the cat couldn't reach and taught her to stay away from it, and I went out to get a new budgie.

The last time I'd been to the shop the aviary had been full, but this time, because of lockdown, they only had 7 budgies, all over a year old. Generally not ideal when you want a tame companion. But I'd travelled so far that I didn't want to go home without a bird, so I brought Indie home and settled him into his nice new cage.

It took less than a month for me to see that Indie was not going to be happy alone. I saw an advert by a local breeder selling some chicks, and thus discovered the local shop, and bought one. Yuki was quarantined in our bedroom because Indie was going to move upstairs with him afterwards (as he had a tendency to be completely silent and then suddenly go nuts whenever my housemate had a work phonecall).

They moved in together and were happy.

I started missing the bond I'd had with Munchy and when I checked up on him I found out that he was no longer with the hen he'd been fond of and seemed stressed by the regularly changing population in the aviary, whilst Peri was just a complete social butterfly. So Munchy returned to us and after a quarantine was introduced to the others.

It's very hard to tell what Munchy thinks of the other two. Munchy has always been independent, so he'll chat to them if he feels like it but most of the time just seems to want to be alone. He's moved into his own cage because he didn't like sharing with the others. However, he must appreciate their company at least because he no longer calls for me if I leave the room, even though he's still tame and will let me ruffle his cheek feathers.

So that's us as we stand. Peri may come home next year because I do miss his water-loving antics. He'll be completely untame though, so that will be a challenge.
On the other hand, I miss just having one budgie that wants to spend time with me. Some of the companionship is gone and at times it feels like being lonely in a crowded room. Yet I wouldn't want one bird to be alone whilst I'm at work, even if my other half can play with them when he gets back at 5pm. It's a dilemma. I'm already changing to a job role that I hope will be better for me but will actually work out worse for the budgies, as my main role being home is to allow them to come out and exercise. With my current shifts they usually get 4-6 days a week of being out of their cages all day, depending on whether I'm doing any nights or weekend shifts. So in some ways just one budgie in the large cage would be better as it would be able to exercise more.

And hence the consideration of maybe a tiel in the future, with either one or a couple of budgies (separate cages of course), so they'd have company but if I'm lucky they'd still want to spend time with me. Apparently rabbits are good for that too, but birds steal my heart far too much.

Sorry, that got really long, but that's us and a bit of the mess that is my brain at times. I'll probably be around asking for advice or trying to learn more about different species to figure out what might be the best fit for us given the circumstances.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Generally, budgies do better in even numbers. So, if Peri comes back that might work well. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

IraDracona

Real Name
Zoë
True, although I've seen some odd situations with that too. We shall see. Munchy is still going strong at 9 so I'm hoping he'll be around at 10 to see Peri come home. :)

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Welcome!

chuckylove

Real Name
LLOYD
Hi, newbie here!

My name's Zoë and I've recently started working, doing long shifts, day or night, but usually only 3 per week. I might be moving soon to an area where I'll be working 4 days but slightly shorter hours. My other half is currently working fairly standard Monday-Friday hours doing temporary work but is looking for something permanent.

We share a rented property with another couple who have been my friends for years, as long as I've had my eldest budgie in fact. She owns a cat so the birds live in our bedroom.

I am currently the caretaker of 3 budgies, possibly 4 next year if the other budgie I previously owned comes to live with us. I'm considering a tiel as a possibility if we manage to get our own home and have enough space.

My eldest budgie, Munchy, is 9 currently, and was an only bird for 8 years until I moved out of my family home, where someone had been home all day. When I moved out I bought a second budgie, Peri, a young one because I hoped to tame him, and they eventually got along, although my elder budgie was very put out by this youngster to start with.

I was in the 3rd year of uni at the time, recently moved out for the first time, and became very stressed and felt like I wasn't giving the birds a good home. So they went to live with someone I know locally who has lots of different species of birds.

Roll on the summer once I had finished my course. Munchy and Peri had both settled in to their new home. The first lockdown here was just easing but my other half, who'd come back from uni himself, couldn't yet move in with me because of the rules. I was feeling lonely and wanted a companion and a creature to care for again. So, not knowing that there's a shop 30 minutes walk from me that sells budgies bred by the family who runs it, I went as far as the rules would allow to buy a bird from the store I'd bought Peri from.

I'd had both cockatiels and conures recommended to me as more suitable companion birds than budgies at the time, but a bit of research suggested that they were even more likely to have a problem with me being away than a single budgie would. So we set up a space in the living room that the cat couldn't reach and taught her to stay away from it, and I went out to get a new budgie.

The last time I'd been to the shop the aviary had been full, but this time, because of lockdown, they only had 7 budgies, all over a year old. Generally not ideal when you want a tame companion. But I'd travelled so far that I didn't want to go home without a bird, so I brought Indie home and settled him into his nice new cage.

It took less than a month for me to see that Indie was not going to be happy alone. I saw an advert by a local breeder selling some chicks, and thus discovered the local shop, and bought one. Yuki was quarantined in our bedroom because Indie was going to move upstairs with him afterwards (as he had a tendency to be completely silent and then suddenly go nuts whenever my housemate had a work phonecall).

They moved in together and were happy.

I started missing the bond I'd had with Munchy and when I checked up on him I found out that he was no longer with the hen he'd been fond of and seemed stressed by the regularly changing population in the aviary, whilst Peri was just a complete social butterfly. So Munchy returned to us and after a quarantine was introduced to the others.

It's very hard to tell what Munchy thinks of the other two. Munchy has always been independent, so he'll chat to them if he feels like it but most of the time just seems to want to be alone. He's moved into his own cage because he didn't like sharing with the others. However, he must appreciate their company at least because he no longer calls for me if I leave the room, even though he's still tame and will let me ruffle his cheek feathers.

So that's us as we stand. Peri may come home next year because I do miss his water-loving antics. He'll be completely untame though, so that will be a challenge.
On the other hand, I miss just having one budgie that wants to spend time with me. Some of the companionship is gone and at times it feels like being lonely in a crowded room. Yet I wouldn't want one bird to be alone whilst I'm at work, even if my other half can play with them when he gets back at 5pm. It's a dilemma. I'm already changing to a job role that I hope will be better for me but will actually work out worse for the budgies, as my main role being home is to allow them to come out and exercise. With my current shifts they usually get 4-6 days a week of being out of their cages all day, depending on whether I'm doing any nights or weekend shifts. So in some ways just one budgie in the large cage would be better as it would be able to exercise more.

And hence the consideration of maybe a tiel in the future, with either one or a couple of budgies (separate cages of course), so they'd have company but if I'm lucky they'd still want to spend time with me. Apparently rabbits are good for that too, but birds steal my heart far too much.

Sorry, that got really long, but that's us and a bit of the mess that is my brain at times. I'll probably be around asking for advice or trying to learn more about different species to figure out what might be the best fit for us given the circumstances.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!
hello

your post comes across more like you are considering your own emotions and lonliness and need for a bird, rather than the happiness of all of these birds going from place to place, and you have a cat as well.. and you have a change in job, and other things going on

maybe it’s not the right time to commit to birds if you can’t see it through to the end, not if you’re an emotionally attached person anyway..maybe it’s better to wait to avoid upsetting yourself or the bird who had to move away and then come back

shouldn’t the animal come first, before your own need to assuage your loneliness in lockdown

Reactions: Ira

IraDracona

Real Name
Zoë
hello

your post comes across more like you are considering your own emotions and lonliness and need for a bird, rather than the happiness of all of these birds going from place to place, and you have a cat as well.. and you have a change in job, and other things going on

maybe it’s not the right time to commit to birds if you can’t see it through to the end, not if you’re an emotionally attached person anyway..maybe it’s better to wait to avoid upsetting yourself or the bird who had to move away and then come back

shouldn’t the animal come first, before your own need to assuage your loneliness in lockdown
I don't have a cat. My housemate does. The cat does not come into the room where the birds live.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
:welave:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello: :welave:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:welcome2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcomegroup:

IraDracona

Real Name
Zoë
There’s still a cat in the house.

And confining any bird to a one-room prison? Even a budgie?
How would you describe an aviary or a bird room then?

They have trips to other rooms. We visit my family when lockdown isn't stopping us.

Most people I know with multiple budgies keep them in one, maybe two, rooms, because those are the rooms they've been able to make mostly safe. Usually it's the living room.

I spend most of my time in this room with them. But say we didn't have the cat and I left the door open for them, and one of them decided to fly down the two flights of stairs to the ground floor and got into trouble because I wasn't there to keep an eye on it?

We're not going to be living with a cat forever.

The budgies are safe and they're happy. So perhaps you should put your judgemental attitude back in its box.

Last edited:

IraDracona

Real Name
Zoë
Thank you for the friendly welcomes from the majority of you.

Skye

Strolling the yard
Hi Zoë! Welcome to the Avenue.

I understand your situation, how uneasy it is. Bonding birds is not always that easy, same as having a completely stable schedule. It looks like you are doing what you can at the moment to make the birds happy. We only have birds in the house, but I also allow my two budgies to fly in just my bedroom because they are not tame and in their previous home have been locked up 24/7. They have no experience in navigating an area as big as our apartment. If I decide to adapt them to the apartment, it would require weeks of putting their cage in each room, allowing them to find perching spots, and then having them fly through our long hallway, having them remember which turn equals which room. Also, if they end up learning to navigate the apartment, they would only be allowed to fly everywhere under my constant supervision. I live with my parents and 3 siblings, who could at any moment decide to leave the bathroom open, along with the toilet cover. Or for any reason someone could decide to open the front door. I had tragedies with previous birds happen because of those things, and definitely don't want them to repeat! So if you allow your birds to exercise in a room that is safe from the cat, I think that is really good!

Indie and Yuki are happy together. That's great! Munchy has his own cage, because it looks like he doesn't like sharing. That's not surprising of him at all, and giving him his own territory is better then having him get in fights with the others. Also, as long as you keep up positive interactions with him, I don't think you should worry about him becoming not tame.

I hope you end up getting a job that would completely satisfy you and allow you to comfortably care for your birds. :)