• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello

Jan1822

Moving in
Real Name
Janet Young
Hi, my name is Jan
I am a new cockatiel owner and looking for advice and tips to help me along the way of raising my new baby.
About two weeks ago I purchased a beautiful Lutino cockatiel ages 13 weeks. Unfortunately around day 7 he/she became very quiet and stopped singing Fluffed up his feathers and slept all day. I was a little worried and messaged the breeder to ask for any advice. Was told to keep him warm and if still the same the next day seek advice from an avian vet. He was still the same the next day so I made an appointment with the vet. Sadly he passed away before I could take him.
The breeder gave me a new cockatiel on Friday but yesterday he started to go very quiet as well and was all fluffed up.
I immediately got him in to the vet and they have taken a poo sample to test and given him antibiotics, probiotics powder for his food and vitamins for his water. Luckily today he did seem a little brighter and is eating and drinking fine.
I’m just worried that I could be doing something wrong for both cockatiels to get poorly after a few days of owning them. Any advice is much appreciate. Thank you. 38BBC63E-3BD5-47CD-9FB6-E58C08B1AF64.jpeg 42E71B70-4B38-4746-96F7-5BE2644C8DBD.png

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Have you used teflon, candles, selfcleaning ovens, sprays, airfreshern or anything similar like this. The fact that it happened to both makes me think it's likely something like this.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Janet :)

I´m sorry to hear of your birds passing. Sounds like they were both ill when you got them, or there is something happening in your home.

Have you informed the breeder that the second bird is also ill?

Jan1822

Moving in
Real Name
Janet Young
Have you used teflon, candles, selfcleaning ovens, sprays, airfreshern or anything similar like this. The fact that it happened to both makes me think it's likely something like this.
No, I haven’t used any of those as I’d done some research before I got the birds (read a few books on cockatiels.) I Was aware beforehand what things can be toxic for cockatiels.

Mantis64

No, I haven’t used any of those as I’d done some research before I got the birds (read a few books on cockatiels.) I Was aware beforehand what things can be toxic for cockatiels.
What have you been feeding them. If it's not that then it's likely something from the breeder did the vet say they had an infection or not.

Jan1822

Moving in
Real Name
Janet Young
Welcome to the Avenue Janet :)

I´m sorry to hear of your birds passing. Sounds like they were both ill when you got them, or there is something happening in your home.

Have you informed the breeder that the second bird is also ill?
No I haven’t told them yet that the second bird got ill. He does seem to be improving slowly. I wanted to wait to get the results from the vets from his poo sample first in case it’s something I’m doing wrong.

BirdWorld

:welave: It is very possible that the birds were already sick when you got them, or that one bird was sick and the other caught the sickness. I’m sorry about the first bird, you hardly had him for a week.:sad8: Either way, you did the right thingby going straight to the vet. (And here!)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
While I don't like implying that a pet shop's mix is a problem this is just one thing that links both your birds. Other links include the cage(?) toys(?) and even the water.
I'd take the time to research some quality mixes online - Hagen, Goldenfeast, Zupreem and Harrison's to name just a few - while looking at and remedying anything else.
I'm not saying that your pet store is doing anything wrong, just that a quality mix needs quality ingredients and a pet store can't guarantee either.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Jan1822

Moving in
Real Name
Janet Young
While I don't like implying that a pet shop's mix is a problem this is just one thing that links both your birds. Other links include the cage(?) toys(?) and even the water.
I'd take the time to research some quality mixes online - Hagen, Goldenfeast, Zupreem and Harrison's to name just a few - while looking at and remedying anything else.
I'm not saying that your pet store is doing anything wrong, just that a quality mix needs quality ingredients and a pet store can't guarantee either.
The cage is a different one to what the first bird died in. Could be the food. I have given the cockatiel different food now. However he is still very quiet and sleeps all day. Sometimes he looks as though he has a little shiver from time to time. The cage isn’t near any drafts and I’ve added a heat lamp just to make doubly sure he isn’t cold.
It’s really baffling me what is wrong. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in soon and perk him up But thanks for your advice

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I am so sorry for your loss, Jan. :sorrow:
I hope you find answers here about what may have happened. It looks like you've gotten a lot of good feedback already. I can't think of anything to add to it, but I did want to welcome you to the site. It's a wonderful place to be, and a wealth of information to help you care for your bird.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi Jan, I would still call the breeder and let him know what is going on and that you are waiting for the stool sample. Will be in touch. If he offers another bird, don't take it.

Jan1822

Moving in
Real Name
Janet Young
I am so sorry for your loss, Jan. :sorrow:
I hope you find answers here about what may have happened. It looks like you've gotten a lot of good feedback already. I can't think of anything to add to it, but I did want to welcome you to the site. It's a wonderful place to be, and a wealth of information to help you care for your bird.
Thank you so much