• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Hope everyone is doing well.

I haven't been around in forever, not even to say hello. Work has been crazy busy.

Quick update and question.

Slater is doing just great! He just turned 10 months the 14th of this month. He hasn't said anything more than "step-up" and "what". Hopefully he'll continue learning new words/phrases (fingers crossed):)

Questions. I noticed that when he says his two only words they are in a VERY deep voice and neither my busband or I have a deep voice. It's almost spooky! Does anyone know if he will better mimic the sound/tone/pitch of our voices?

Was wondering if the color of his tail feathers will change after his first or second molt? His tail feathers not are not all completely red but grey/brown towards the bottom. Will his tail feathers change to all red with his first or second molt and how do I know if he's molted yet? I've haven't seen very many feathers at the bottom of his cage and they have been the white downy soft ones and there hasn't been many.

Thanks for your help. You guys are way over-due for pictures so I will try to do that this weekend.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Hi Karen, Rocky says "hello" in a very deep voice too :eek:
I hope I don't sound like that :rofl:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
He may be just learning how to push the air to make sounds. My Grey says things he learned from me in my voice and things my husband says in his voice :) He should be going into his first molt around one year. The red in their tail feathers comes from foods that are rich in vitamin A. Do you feed him sweet potatoes, dark leafy greens? Also Red Palm oil is a good source of beta carotene. Would love to see pics! :) Vitamin A occurs naturally in dark leafy greens and orange-colored produce, such as apricots, cantaloupes, carrots, red peppers, pumpkins and sweet potatoes. To resolve Vitamin A deficiency, try adding foods like sweet potatoes (either cooked or steamed until soft), mashed up with other fruits will be both loved by your pet bird, as much as it is good for her or him. Many birds also enjoy fresh carrot juice - or try offering shredded carrots. Natural sources are preferable over synthetically produced nutrients, which may not be absorbable and could easily be overdosed).

Last edited:

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
He may be just learning how to push the air to make sounds. My Grey says things he learned from me in my voice and things my husband says in his voice :) He should be going into his first molt around one year. The red in their tail feathers comes from foods that are rich in vitamin A. Do you feed him sweet potatoes, dark leafy greens? Also Red Palm oil is a good source of beta carotene. Would love to see pics! :) Vitamin A occurs naturally in dark leafy greens and orange-colored produce, such as apricots, cantaloupes, carrots, red peppers, pumpkins and sweet potatoes. To resolve Vitamin A deficiency, try adding foods like sweet potatoes (either cooked or steamed until soft), mashed up with other fruits will be both loved by your pet bird, as much as it is good for her or him. Many birds also enjoy fresh carrot juice - or try offering shredded carrots. Natural sources are preferable over synthetically produced nutrients, which may not be absorbable and could easily be overdosed).
Hi birdlvr466. Yes I give him red palm oil, sweet potato, carrots. I've been told that they are the color they are because he is a baby. It's just when I see other greys they have such a beautiful bright red tails. Don't get me wrong I'd love Slater even if he didn't have a tail. Was just curious if there going to be any changes. Thanks!

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Hi Karen, Rocky says "hello" in a very deep voice too :eek:
I hope I don't sound like that :rofl:
Kind of a very deep robotic sound. Very spooky. Is Rocky's voice spooky?

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Kind of a very deep robotic sound. Very spooky. Is Rocky's voice spooky?
Very! :hehe:

I always thought it was because she is not a good talker, and that's the best she could do :D

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Here is what I am talking about on his tail feathers. This was taken a while back. See how the ends of his tail are not red?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Karen it probably is due to him being a baby. He should be molting soon. He is gorgeous! His feathers look beautiful and healthy.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Karen it probably is due to him being a baby. He should be molting soon. He is gorgeous! His feathers look beautiful and healthy.
Hi birdlvr46 Thank you. I'll just have to wait and see what his tail does after his molt.

We just went to the vet over the weekend and we are doing great!

Thanks again.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Yep, those are baby grey feathers. Emmetts are red on top and tipped in dark grey underneath. Your baby is very handsome and so light grey! He is going to molten into a very studly young man. lol Emmett is starting to mumble things too. I think he is practicing hello and hey. They sound deep and gravelly. Unlike his normal whistles and baby chirps. I talk to him all the time..I wonder what his first word will be and well, since Em is a boy hopefully he sounds more like Brian than me. Hehe. Keep up the good work with him and yes, more pics please!

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Yep, those are baby grey feathers. Emmetts are red on top and tipped in dark grey underneath. Your baby is very handsome and so light grey! He is going to molten into a very studly young man. lol Emmett is starting to mumble things too. I think he is practicing hello and hey. They sound deep and gravelly. Unlike his normal whistles and baby chirps. I talk to him all the time..I wonder what his first word will be and well, since Em is a boy hopefully he sounds more like Brian than me. Hehe. Keep up the good work with him and yes, more pics please!
Hi thanks for your reply! Oh goody!

I talk to Slater all the time which is why I don't understand why he sounds like he does. Spooky when I'm home alone and he says "step up" in his Darth Vader voice! LOL

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Slater is stunning, that is a beautiful pic of him!
Thank you. I'll be taking more pic over the long weekend so be looking for them:)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award