• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hello - new here - Long Story

justqltin

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Pam
Hi, I have just accidently become the "parent" to a beautiful lutino Quaker. I've had a bird or birds most of my life. Growing up in S FL We had budgies, lovebirds and one very mean hand raised cockatiel named "Sultan". LOL In my early 20's I hand raised an Indian Ringneck (Sammy) and he was a beloved companion for many years along with a Jenday conure that my ex took. After I got settled I got another Ringneck (Taylor) and he was great for 4 years but then I remarried and moved and where I used to take long walks on the greenway with him now we were in the city and life and my commute changed and he became very unhappy. He wound up confined to his cage more (he's the only animal that has ever not loved my husband) and screaming a lot so I found a rescue and re-homed him as I hated to see him so miserable. For awhile I didn't have a bird (do backyard chickens count?) but life was busy with children and dogs. About 11 years ago I convinced my husband that a Cockatiel would be a fun addition and would not hate him so for Christmas I got Smokey. And I swear she was more his bird than mine tho we didn't let her out much due to the dogs she did get to sit on a swing in the shower and visit with my daughter in her bedroom. A couple years later we added Merlin for my daughter to the big flight cage. It gave Smokey company, but she became less social. Still both were loved and interacted with frequently. This Christmas Eve tragedy struck. The temps were below zero and we had rolling blackouts. We lit a kerosene heater to keep the house from getting too cold for them.......We lost them both that evening. My husband still blames himself--My daughter cried for hours-- I blame myself, as many years as I had birds I never knew that a fuel heater could kill them. Anyhow, the 26th we drove to SC to visit new baby grandson. (He's the sweetest thing) and my DIL's mom came over and asked us to meet a bird that she had taken in and couldn't keep but was very reluctant to just give to someone unknown. It felt too soon to my daughter and I but we agreed to go say "hello". Coney (formerly Buttercup) is a lovely Lutino 8-month-old female Quaker. We fell in love with her- and while she will never replace Smokey and Merlin she is bringing her own joy to our house. That said - we are her third home in 8 mos. I don't know the circumstances that caused the person who bought her from the breeder as a hand raised baby to give her up but some how My DIL mom wound up with her. She had her for 4 mos. She is very active and travels to ride horses and she wasn't able to give her the time she deserved. So, I am here for Quaker advice. She def wants attention - and I have pix of her out with Vicky (DIL"S MOM) She is "friendly". She'd been with us for 3 days now. I have not attempted to let her out of her cage yet. Other son and DIL are visiting with their two dogs. I have noticed she does not like hands and Vicki said she's very territorial of her cage, you have to let her come out on her own. I've got a rolling stand and a tabletop playpen coming tomorrow and Friday after work when our house is quiet again, I'm going to open her cage and see what happens. I want to start some "up" training with her and try to get her comfortable with hands. I'm also cleaning out the big flight cage slowly with many tears and I'd like to move her to it, so she has more space during the day. My daughter (almost 16) will let her out and bring her in her room after school once we are comfortable with our interactions. I dread getting bit the first time. I remember the IRN's. They hurt! I may get some gloves but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. So I am here for all things Quaker and advice on calming a hand raised but rescued young one.
. Coney.jpg

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Welcome

so sorry about ur losses
she’s beautiful:heart: congratulations

@Pixiebeak is amazing she will give you loads of fantastic advice

does she have a favourite treat yet ?

sitting by her cage talking to her giving her treats through cage bars is a brilliant way to start especially while you have a busy house

justqltin

Real Name
Pam
I know she likes carrots and "hand food". I went and got her some nutriberries and avi-cakes last night. She likes the larger pellets in Parrots blends rather than the cockatiel/conure size. I do know she hates dried bananas! She's made that clear... Haven't tried fresh. So far she fluffs up and runs to the other side of the cage if I try to put anything thru the bars. I have some Bird Street Bistro food that came with her (EVERYTHING came with her) that you cook. They said she likes it. I haven't had time to cook any yet. There is a bird shop the next town over that has chop regularly if I can get there when they are open. I'll work on my own when I know what she likes best. I'm chopping veggies for the bearded dragons every morning so one more is no problem.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I know she likes carrots and "hand food". I went and got her some nutriberries and avi-cakes last night. She likes the larger pellets in Parrots blends rather than the cockatiel/conure size. I do know she hates dried bananas! She's made that clear... Haven't tried fresh. So far she fluffs up and runs to the other side of the cage if I try to put anything thru the bars. I have some Bird Street Bistro food that came with her (EVERYTHING came with her) that you cook. They said she likes it. I haven't had time to cook any yet. There is a bird shop the next town over that has chop regularly if I can get there when they are open. I'll work on my own when I know what she likes best. I'm chopping veggies for the bearded dragons every morning so one more is no problem.
Millet a hit in my house you can cut bigger sizes until down to a little pieces so she gets used to fingers as worked with my lovebirds

sounds like she’s in best place bless her definitely take time especially with so many homes in such a short time/life but she will come round just patience and time

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Im sorry for you loss of your sweet birds. So much has happened to you in such a short time.

I have 3 unwanted quakers that I adore, an older rescue from a bad situation, a loved but needed to rehome and an absolutely dedicated screamer and hand phobic at first , pet store girl that was being sent back as un sellable because of round the clock screaming..

Of course I will try and help you and your family with your new addition. I want all parrots and people to be happy. But I feel I must be honest that this may not be the species for you . Quakers can easily turn into dedicated screamers , and by this I mean screaming from sun up to sun down with out pause. An un happy bored and caged quaker quickly turns to screaming, and many turn to plucking as well. They are highly social, intelligent and active species. As a species norm they don't tolerate being caged for the majority of the day. Im not sure how many hours a day the IRN screamed that you needed to re home. But I haven't met any other species like Quakers who will keep it up non stop for 12 hours daily .

Now when providing a lot of interaction, and I'm going to say 6 hours of out of cage time daily. Made part of the family and included in everything as much as possible. They are a wonderful, friendly, outgoing, fun parrot. I love them dearly or I wouldn't have 3! Happy Quakers getting snuggles will even purr.

Others can share their experiences and im.sure some are in working parent homes as solo parrot. Who have happy quiet Quakers.

I would feed her as she was being fed at first. You can offer as much other stuff you want her eating in other dishes right away . But any true diet changes should be thoughtful and weight check daily or every other day as you transition to be sure no weight is lost.

Mine love veggies and leafy greens and occasionally fruit and other parrot safe foods. I serve those mornings and afternoon. I just serve fresh romaine lettuce while ir half leaves sometimes I cut up, my veggies are usually just hunks or cut up to be a good size to pick up with feet. I personally don't do a pre-made chop. I eat fresh veggies daily so its easy to just give them some. Also eat seed mix and pellets ( not to fussy on brands as I've got them used to eating several.)

Mine, all 3 are Cage protective as will scream and try and bite any hand going inside cage. To make things easy stress free and happy for all of us , I have a perch attached to the door so when it swings out with them on it. Then they are fine sweeties. I also have perches on the outside of cage by door , well really all over outside the cage, during breeding season sometimes they need to come farther out of the cage to be my sweeties. ( all 3 are sitting on me as write this ;).)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Making friends and building trust with them is pretty much the same as it is with other parrot species. Except I did a lot if it outside the cage .

My hand phopic girl, I set up the outside of her cage and hung stuff above her cage and used a stand with stuff attached. I put acrylic sheet across the top of her cage and had a treat only dish as well. It only took a few days to teach her to return ( hands free) to the cage when asked.

Ok gotta run . Happy to give tips later

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome and congratulations, she's adorable! I'm so sorry for your losses; the ones that leave us feeling gulity are so hard to get through.

I've only had my Quaker for a few months now and he was still very young, but once he trusted me it was pretty easy to avoid biting and to teach bite pressure that is acceptable to me. He still bites a smidge hard sometimes to test me (and says "Good boy!" haha) but overall even when he's being serious about it he makes sure not to bite hard.

I totally copied Pixiebeak and have an acrylic sheet on top of the cage so he can play there (he likes seed spread out and flinging toys all over the place) and also so my son's bird doesn't have toes munched when he visits. I also have a perch across the doorway and one on the door, and he learned to step up from there pretty quickly.

Three days isn't long at all, and to me it seems like she's settling in pretty well so far. I agree that just spending time around her being calm and talking to her (with my first,very very very scared parrot, I narrated literally everything I was doing and would sit and read forums out loud to him for hours) while sitting close by. I attached a little metal food bowl to the inside of the cage door, so that I can drop whatever favorite food or treat right there - metal so that it makes a sound - and then I would step away. Basically trying to reinforce the idea that me approaching the cage meant yummy treats, but also to reinforce the idea I wasn't going to force my parrot to interact with me.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
To help her with hands, as above is great stuff. Aslo did same

And I taught mine to learn good birdie , by linking with everything they do on their own that's postive, like good birdie when they eat, preen, start to nap, play with ir chew on stuff, it comes in very handy as you praise them with stuff you are training. Definitely good birdie when they take treats either from a treat dish or hand. This helped me train mine to return to cage to.

Hands..at first treats in dish, then I set treats out halfway to me snd left hand in top if cage. Tgen kept moving treats close to her my hand over time. Till I could hand her treats.

I mashed a chair up to her cage. And let her start climbing around on me and handed out treats. And she could easily climb back to cage for her feeling of safety.

Its all fluid and adjusted to them at first. Never rush or push things to where you end up getting a bite.

Im not sure your out of cage time plans? But dogs can and sleep a lot of hours during the day. While parrots are active all day with a brief nap. So you might crate or work out a routine with dogs behind a closed door or outside for good period out of out of cage time with the parrot. Then swap to an hour if so parrot caged and dogs with you.

I've got dogs as well..low prey drive and small and worked with since pups and continued. Im able to have them with me and parrots supervised, and never trusted still, no interaction allowed, never leaving a room with them. It will always be a risk , and ive had dogs in the past before parrots that i wouldn't have trusted. Im not recommending it , just being honest on how things work here.

She is a pretty girl ! Lovely cage and toys.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:welcome:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Welcome!! I hope you’re able to get advice that works for you!

justqltin

Real Name
Pam
To help her with hands, as above is great stuff. Aslo did same

And I taught mine to learn good birdie , by linking with everything they do on their own that's postive, like good birdie when they eat, preen, start to nap, play with ir chew on stuff, it comes in very handy as you praise them with stuff you are training. Definitely good birdie when they take treats either from a treat dish or hand. This helped me train mine to return to cage to.

Hands..at first treats in dish, then I set treats out halfway to me snd left hand in top if cage. Tgen kept moving treats close to her my hand over time. Till I could hand her treats.

I mashed a chair up to her cage. And let her start climbing around on me and handed out treats. And she could easily climb back to cage for her feeling of safety.

Its all fluid and adjusted to them at first. Never rush or push things to where you end up getting a bite.

Im not sure your out of cage time plans? But dogs can and sleep a lot of hours during the day. While parrots are active all day with a brief nap. So you might crate or work out a routine with dogs behind a closed door or outside for good period out of out of cage time with the parrot. Then swap to an hour if so parrot caged and dogs with you.

I've got dogs as well..low prey drive and small and worked with since pups and continued. Im able to have them with me and parrots supervised, and never trusted still, no interaction allowed, never leaving a room with them. It will always be a risk , and ive had dogs in the past before parrots that i wouldn't have trusted. Im not recommending it , just being honest on how things work here.

She is a pretty girl ! Lovely cage and toys.
I would never leave her out unattended with the dogs. Especially right now as her wings are clipped so she could not fly out of reach. We have 3 dogs, none of them will bother her if we are around. (They are terrified of the Bearded Dragon) They all go outside with free range chickens that they don't bother but still, I would not want to risk something unexpected happening. I have a playstand arriving today and I'm going to put it a foot or so from her door and open her door. We will see how it goes. She allows me to put things (her birdbath) or pick up things she's dropped and put them back in her dish as long as I don't move my hand toward her. I have no intention of forcing her or "chasing" her with my hands. We will visit in person when she is willing to come out. The lady who gave her to me gave me a pretty plastic travel case with the information that she (Coney) hates it. That tells me someone has probably caught her and forced her into it. Luckily My husbands truck had plenty of room in the back seat to just sit her cage next to my daughter for the trip home. No terrorizing the baby involved! She burbled at my daughter most of the way.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Oh , I never thought you would risk her safty ! Or force her or anything Iike that..

Just ways to find a good amount of out of cage time. Parrots are so smart and daylight active. That if I had dogs I couldn't trust and knowing how much they sleep its work around I would do. I love my doggies too.

Wonderful to hear of early connection between daughter and new one.

Early days. Look forward to your successes.

justqltin

Real Name
Pam
Im sorry for you loss of your sweet birds. So much has happened to you in such a short time.

I have 3 unwanted quakers that I adore, an older rescue from a bad situation, a loved but needed to rehome and an absolutely dedicated screamer and hand phobic at first , pet store girl that was being sent back as un sellable because of round the clock screaming..

Of course I will try and help you and your family with your new addition. I want all parrots and people to be happy. But I feel I must be honest that this may not be the species for you . Quakers can easily turn into dedicated screamers , and by this I mean screaming from sun up to sun down with out pause. An un happy bored and caged quaker quickly turns to screaming, and many turn to plucking as well. They are highly social, intelligent and active species. As a species norm they don't tolerate being caged for the majority of the day. Im not sure how many hours a day the IRN screamed that you needed to re home. But I haven't met any other species like Quakers who will keep it up non stop for 12 hours daily .

Now when providing a lot of interaction, and I'm going to say 6 hours of out of cage time daily. Made part of the family and included in everything as much as possible. They are a wonderful, friendly, outgoing, fun parrot. I love them dearly or I wouldn't have 3! Happy Quakers getting snuggles will even purr.

Others can share their experiences and im.sure some are in working parent homes as solo parrot. Who have happy quiet Quakers.

I would feed her as she was being fed at first. You can offer as much other stuff you want her eating in other dishes right away . But any true diet changes should be thoughtful and weight check daily or every other day as you transition to be sure no weight is lost.

Mine love veggies and leafy greens and occasionally fruit and other parrot safe foods. I serve those mornings and afternoon. I just serve fresh romaine lettuce while ir half leaves sometimes I cut up, my veggies are usually just hunks or cut up to be a good size to pick up with feet. I personally don't do a pre-made chop. I eat fresh veggies daily so its easy to just give them some. Also eat seed mix and pellets ( not to fussy on brands as I've got them used to eating several.)

Mine, all 3 are Cage protective as will scream and try and bite any hand going inside cage. To make things easy stress free and happy for all of us , I have a perch attached to the door so when it swings out with them on it. Then they are fine sweeties. I also have perches on the outside of cage by door , well really all over outside the cage, during breeding season sometimes they need to come farther out of the cage to be my sweeties. ( all 3 are sitting on me as write this ;).)
This aligns pretty much with my plans for her. She will have to stay in her/a cage till my daughter gets home from school. Then we will be able to let her come out and probably at that point go in her room with her till we get home. But she will get lots of family time in the afternoon and evening. I'm hoping that as she adjusts I can let her out of her "sleep" cage in the morning and she can spend 2 hours hanging out/eating breakfast as I get ready and then during the work/school day she can go in the large flight cage by our front window where she can see out and has lots of room to move around and play. Then in the afternoon till bedtime she can be with one or more of us in whatever room we are in. I plan to have a stand down in my sewing room where she can hang out when I'm working on projects. Sammy and Smokey used to LOVE to shower with me. I made sure the stand I got was a stainless-steel base so I can set it at one end of the shower and see if she likes that also. I looked at shower perches but I'm not feeling real trusting of those suction cups.

The IRN was more than screaming, He bit my husband every chance he got - not me or my sons - just my husband and he'd begun to pluck feathers. I didn't rehome him because I wanted to, I did it because he was very unhappy and at that time, I was unable to change the circumstances that made him that way. He went to a friend of my Ex's neighbor, and he took to her right away. Ran up her arm and started cooing in her ear and repeating all his phrases for her.

Coney IS screaming a little bit. Especially when the dogs bark! I feel like it's because she wants out of the cage. I/We have the next 3 days at home to spend with her seeing how she behaves once she's no longer confined and can visit with the flock. I looked at last nights dinner as we ate and realized that I could easily take a spoonful of the canned black beans out before I seasoned them and add it to some of the chopped lettuce and tomato and make her a "dinner" plate. She shouldn't have the tortilla chips but a small bit of un fried corn or flour tortilla would probably be okay. Most of our dinners I could keep some of the veggies out/unseasoned for her. What kinds of special treats are considered safe in extreme moderation. Sammy used to LOVE the end crust of a piece of pizza. (We eat pizza maybe once every 3-4 mos) Unsalted Saltines? oyster crackers? Smokey and Merlin loved it when my daughter gave them chow mein noodles. (Again, very rare treat.) I need to source the zupreem food she's been on. My local petsmart is small and has a pitiful selection of anything bird related. I did get some avicakes and nutri berries to introduce them as she seems to like to hold her food while she eats. she also came with 1 1/2 bags of Bird Street Bistro Hearty Vegetables. I cooked some up last night and put it on top of her dish this morning to see how well she eats it.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
with non established screaming, its best to.ignore, and then lots of praise attention when quiet.. trying to use a flock call phrase and to praise any words or whistles its definitely easier to listen to words than screaming.

To provide a lot of foraging . Its something you teach and start so easy. As they get better you increase the difficulty. It can be a good way to keep them occupied when no one is home.

I think it can be very helpful also for everyone to let the burd know when they are leaving the home. She will grow used to that and it well help with frustration in calling trying to figure out who is home. Equally important for everyone arriving home to go say hello and let her know you are back..it can be very beneficial.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
My guys liked the BSB foods. I just cooked up a small amount and mixed that in to their veggies and sprouts. I definitely recommend getting a spare small rope perch or a T shaped perch. Those are an absolute godsend for unpredictable birds. The T perch puts distance between you and the beak, but it also lets the bird feel more at ease, if they are hand-shy. Here's an example of what I mean: Medium Transport T Stick - Etsy

I would also highly recommend working hands off and do some target training. It really helps build up your relationship, without risking your skin. Once you find whatever high value treat your bird cannot resist, use those only for training sessions.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I looked at last nights dinner as we ate and realized that I could easily take a spoonful of the canned black beans out before I seasoned them and add it to some of the chopped lettuce and tomato and make her a "dinner" plate. She shouldn't have the tortilla chips but a small bit of un fried corn or flour tortilla would probably be okay. Most of our dinners I could keep some of the veggies out/unseasoned for her. What kinds of special treats are considered safe in extreme moderation. Sammy used to LOVE the end crust of a piece of pizza.
What you describe, sharing dinner before it’s salted, is what I do with my birds including my Quaker. Unfortunately you won’t be able to eat without the bird demanding her bit.

so tonight I made saffron rice and threw in some aging cherry tomatoes. My guys get a little unsalted rice but they each got half of the nicest ping pong ball sized tomato. Willow QP picked out the seeds and ate some of the outer flesh.

A bit later I’m going to bake some fish and birds will each get a little bit of cooked fish. Maybe I will rinse it to remove butter from cooking. Dessert will be some blackberry—I think 1/3 a berry for willow and 2/3 for Jasper should work. After he’s got a bit of sleep I am allowed to wake him up for a snack.

I mostly see what I’m going to have (I’m mostly vegetarian and mostly have vegetables and rice) and give them a chunk of the different vegetables or fruit that I will have. And a bit of the protein (cooked egg, fish, bean, occasionally chicken) and a bit of rice since we all love carbs but they get plenty of carbs in seeds.

I am envious of your yellow birdie! I have a handsome blue guy. I think Quakers are such great birds; my favorite of the maybe ten+ species I’ve kept in my life. I missed my deceased very old Quaker Lucy and Willow is such a love even if he doesn’t exactly want to be a cabaret singer/ comedian like Lucy.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I lost two of three parrots to a gas leak years ago. It is so shocking and scary. I’m sorry for your loss.

P.s. I love the name “Buttercup” for a yellow bird. You could sing the Pirates of Penzance sing to her and she would think that’s her song!
I have a blue Quaker who is protective of his cage but a live away from it. Have you had her out yet?

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
A LOVE away from it (the cage)

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
How IS Coney doing now?