• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello Meyers people!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedTruck

Moving in
Real Name
Kelly
I was wondering if anyone that owns/has any experience with Meyers would like to share of any tales, give advise, warnings, or share pictures with me? I do not have my bird yet. I have decided to wait till my husband (who recently joined the USAF) gets stationed till I bring home a bird. So I have plenty of time to do my research, or possibly even decide that a different type of bird will suit us better.

From what I have read so far Meyers are generally quieter, cuddly, love the whole family, and even strangers type of bird. But I have never had the pleasure of meeting one myself. AND this will be my first bird aside from childhood finches/parakeets. So I'm more or less starting from scratch. So I'm going to learn what I can, and apply it when my new bird comes home.

Another thing I seem to be having some difficulty deciding is if I want to get a baby, or adopt from an Avian Rescue. I am the type of person that LOVES the idea of rescue, and what they do for the Pets who find themselves there. Both of my dogs are either from a rescue, or I have been rehomed with me. And we also have a foster right now as well. But when it comes to birds, I know a lot of people end up buying a bird with out research, and end up 'getting rid' of it because they had no idea it would be loud, or bite, or what have you. So with this being my first bird.... what do you think I should do... buy a baby, or go through a rescue? Is it easier to prevent undesired behavior than correct it? Can you teach a neglected, or abused bird that its OK to trust you, and to love you?

Thanks in advance for the advise. :meyers:

ForTheBirds

Walking the driveway
Hello Kelly & welcome!

I previously owned a Meyer's that I obtained from a neglectful situation. I was lucky enough that he was a friendly & willing bird to accept my loving him. I found him to be very busy, spunky, at times loud (more in decibel, not exactly squawky.) He would step up like a reflex to anyone's hand & ate like a horse, which were things I found made owning him easy. All around, I think they make great first parrots that are larger than a Budgie. I've never had a baby parrot, I've only rescued. Babies can be a lot more work & I suggest more research on baby parrots in general before you jump in. There's a lot of people here who can point you in the right direction.

Have fun & I hope you get the bird you're dreaming of!
:hug8:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I had written a lot of stuff yesterday and lost it all when I accidentally pressed back in the wrong tab when I was adding pictures..

I'll start over.

I have two Meyer's and both of them are rescues and came from the same rescue, which is run by people I know through the local parrot club.

The first one I got, Petey, is a 15 year old bird who's most likely had some abuse in her past but we don't really know all that much about it. She loves men and hates women. She's ok with women when she doesn't really know them, possibly since she's out of her element, but the moment she gets comfortable..well you know it. I've had her since August of 2008 and we did make some progress. While her favorite person here is my boyfriend, she's starting to get better with me. We still have a lot of work to do and I don't really expect her to ever like me the way she likes my SO, but that's ok. Her bigger progress to date has been with my other birds; initially, she would attack them if they got remotely close. Now, she is able to tolerate them on the same play gym as long as they aren't immediately next to her (of course, everyone is out under supervision just in case).

My second Meyer's, Zuri, is a 2-3 year old bird (banded in 2007) who's first owner was diagnosed with cancer and has since passed away. Because of the illness, I think this owner was more focused at one point battling the cancer than properly educating Zuri (understandably so). She was passed around friend(s) of is and was fed and given clean water during those times, but I doubt those friends gave Zuri any real attention. So, when I ended up with her, I got a very shy and nervous bird who needed socialization and education. She took to me relatively quickly but is still somewhat nervous around strangers, although nowhere as bad as she used to be. She's more independent then my other birds but will still enjoy a head scratch once in a while. She plays with toys more than my other birds though and I think she might be the one I have an easiest time training (which I've started to do) to do tricks.

Neither of them really fits the typical description of a Meyer's parrot which is found online..but they each have had an "unusual" past. I know a numbers of Meyer's that do fit the description of the calm, sweet-nature, easy going bird and most of these were fortunate to find a loving home from day 1. Do I regret taking in rescues? No. They might require more work, but each bit of progress is that much more rewarding.

Now whether to take a baby or rescue in your case...if you are willing to consider taking in a rescue, I would look around. I definitively think that a rescue like Petey shouldn't be anyone's first bird, but they aren't all like her and you might find a sweet bird who's owner just didn't want it anymore.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Here are some pictures (not taking the chance of accidentally loosing what I wrote again, even if this means two subsequent posts).

Petey

Playing

Preening

Trying to fit under the couch - feeling nesty...

More playing

Zuri

Taken during her first few days here

After a shower

Playing

More playing

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
More pictures, of Meyer's that I have birdsat.

BigRedTruck

Moving in
Real Name
Kelly
Thank you for sharing your experiences with me.
And the pictures are great! I am more than willing to go the route of rescue.
But I am a bit nervous about getting a bird that is too much for me to handle, as far as past issues like yours. Though I trust that any good rescue will not place a bird with me that I could not handle as a first time parrot owner.
Thanks again.

eta:
I was also wondering....
I have a friend who mom I think had a bird die after getting egg bound.... I really want to try to avoid the whole situation entirely by getting a male. Are there any behavioral differences between males and females, as far as aggression?

Last edited:

Lotsa Birds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sandy
Hi Kelly,
I don't have a Meyers, but do have a Red Belly. I was also interested in one, but found a RB first. I've heard they are great birds. If I were to ever add another, I would really be interested. Good luck in finding your hopefully new addition :) And Natacha, your birds are gorgeous!
Sandy

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hello! I currently have a one and a half year ol meyers, yes breeder bought.

Ok my first advise to you is not to expect the 'general' facts you read about them as each one is an individual in his/her self.. I would highly recommend going to a rescue, not really for a meyers, but to talk with them and find out which species is best suitable to you. I would also recommend handeling as many parrots as you can to get a 'feel' for how they are and then decide which parrot you would like to bring home.

Meru was hatched around september of 2008, I got him at the end of January of last year. Boy has it been an interesting experience! Meru does NOT like other birds, he has to be seperated from the others. It is not necessarily a species trait but an individual choice for him. He has taken a liking to my mom recently instead of me also! So be prepared that he may choose someone else over you. Meru does wonderful with people, however, and if I or my mother hand him to them he does great.

Also, keep in mind that not all rescue birds are great and wonderful they usually come with emotional baggage that will need to be delt with. Not all are like that either, once in a blue moon you get a well socialized parrot whose owners just couldnt keep him. I have met 2 meyer's parrots from to different rescues, and both were not nice at all, in fact one of them gouged my finger pretty good! I got a scar form her! That was because she had been teased by kids and poked at though.. so it was my fault for sticking my fingers there anyway!

It would be wonderful if you could adopt a bird from someplace nice as well, just be sure you go slow and take your time to visit with all the species, becasue you never know when you might find one that might have been an unconsidered species from the begining!

Good luck though!! :)

Meru:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
eta:
I was also wondering....
I have a friend who mom I think had a bird die after getting egg bound.... I really want to try to avoid the whole situation entirely by getting a male. Are there any behavioral differences between males and females, as far as aggression?
I don't think there are any particular differences.

Both of mine have turned out to be males. The two I've birdsat (as seen above) are females. I haven't really seen any differences between mine and those that I would have attributed to gender.

Status
Not open for further replies.