• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello! Meet my new baby!!

sammit

Strolling the yard
Well today he/she was being a little snot. Kept climbing the front screen door so i would make it step up to put it back on the play stand and it would bite the crabapples out of me!! my fingers look like hamburger..

any tricks i can use to help it tame down? it wasnt hand fed but it was around people so its used to movements, noises and touching but not handleing like a step up. i even tried with a perch and it just got scared (it doesnt seem scared of me, no shaking, no puffing up or going skinny- just biting)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Why not try feeding him/her by hand using regular food or millet?

sammit

Strolling the yard
Im yet to have him approach my hand at will. He has been wandering around the floor having a good explore but when it notices me watching, it runs back to its cage. Ive spent today sitting beside him on my computer just chatting to it and getting it used to me. Right now, its having a good chat to the birds on the TV. Ill attempt some millet tomorrow.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If it helps.... :)

Working with Fearful Parrots: A Study in Videos | Learning Parrots

Living With Parrots Cage Free: Bucky and Strider - Millet Eating Fiends!

I used to have 5 adult, flighted budgies. None of them were tame. I started by feeding them first thing in the morning by hand. If they didn't eat, that was ok! I'd replenish their food dishes and try again the next morning.

They became comfortable enough eating from my hands that I started to feed them outside of the cage a couple of weeks later. A month later, they were flying out of the cage and to my hand!

I did this same experiment with cockatiels (unintentionally - started with one tiel who was watching me feed the budgies and wanted the same behavior, too!) and had an even greater result with untame scared or skiddish birds warming up enough to me to fly to me without being able to see any food and waiting patiently for me to get them more.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Ridley is beautiful! Congrats! I am having the same problem. I think Bella might be a boy. :lol:

sammit

Strolling the yard
well this here is after only 15min of step ups and handleing. she only bit me 3 times which is a marked decrease on yesterdays "all hands must be dead" thing..

Attachments

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Lovely budgie but cere looks more pink in pics than white w blue.
Mine is white with blue so female.

Try millet not the whole thing just peel off one ball. Offer it & they will learn hands mean good things.

Hows sunny Brisbane? Wish I was there!

:hug8:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Don't ladder him/her or force her to step up.

Use food or treats to teach her to step up for a reward instead.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I have one other. Her name is Ella. Shes a rescue so im unsure of her age but the vet estimated her to be around 5-7 years right now. Shes a half english so shes bigger than normal bugs and shes quite poofy. Apparently I'm her mate hahaha. Shes always making sexy eyes at me and presenting herself, I try not to let her get all worked up.

I read 2 females don't like to be housed together so be aware as she gets older they could fight.

sammit

Strolling the yard
Ok, i wasnt laddering. Just getting her to step up and having her sit on my hand. Rewarding with praise and then putting her down again. Repeat and praise when she wasnt biting.

And my birds arent in the same cage at all. They have seperate cages

sammit

Strolling the yard
Hows sunny Brisbane? Wish I was there!
its too sunny hahaha. i have tank water and im almost empty. they have forcast heavy rains for the entire weekend and i really hope that its going to happen because nothing is growing, everything is on fire and we're all running out of water...

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
its too sunny hahaha. i have tank water and im almost empty. they have forcast heavy rains for the entire weekend and i really hope that its going to happen because nothing is growing, everything is on fire and we're all running out of water...
Hoping for the rain for Australia. Gosh I didn't know. My Mom lives in Tenterfield NSW. WE don't talk about weather but I guess you need the rain as much as we do is southern calif so I know what you mean.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Ok, i wasnt laddering. Just getting her to step up and having her sit on my hand. Rewarding with praise and then putting her down again. Repeat and praise when she wasnt biting.

I'm glad you aren't laddering her! Does she find praise to be rewarding? If she doesn't find praise to be rewarding, then she has no reason to step up. Have you tried food yet to teach her to step up?

sammit

Strolling the yard
Hoping for the rain for Australia. Gosh I didn't know. My Mom lives in Tenterfield NSW. WE don't talk about weather but I guess you need the rain as much as we do is southern calif so I know what you mean.
queensland has just been declared as 80% drought (which means no rain for a period longer than a day in 2 years)... the only parts that arent drought declared are the far north where the rainforest is...