• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello Hello

Burdlady48

Moving in
Hello! My name is Brielle, and I'm very interested in birds (obviously). I would like to know what are the best birds to keep as a pet for a beginner... The Internet tells me that budgies are, but there is a YouTube channel that I watch and he says budgies are very hard to maintain... Any tips?

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Welcome!
There isn't exactly a standard 'beginner bird', although some are less maintainance than others.
It's important to choose a bird which fits your lifestyle, wants, and needs in a companion :)

Check out 'The Good, The Bad, The Ugly' threads underneath the species specific sections to get a better grasp on different species' needs.

Great to have you here! ;)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Budgies are awesome & adapt well to captivity. You rarely hear of a budgie feather plucking, for example. But you should get the bird that suits you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Easy in what way? ;) Birds are rarely EASY. Some are better adapted to living with people; budgies and cockatiels both I think tend to be pretty fantastic. Maybe go meet some birds and see what you gravitate towards!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I am a firm believer in getting whatever bird you want that you are ready for. If you do your research, and you want to get a macaw as your first bird, do it up. If you want to get a major Mitchell’s cockatoo as your first bird, and you are ready for it, do it. if you feel that you are ready to take on a cockatiel, make it happen.

I don’t think theirs is a “first bird” species. I think it’s what you’re ready for and what you want.

(But also out of my birds, my male cockatiel is the easiest - he’s big golden retriever energy and has the ability to be independent enough that I don’t have to give him constant attention. That said, mileage may vary.)

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello:

Burdlady48

Moving in
Thank you all for the replies!!!
I am a firm believer in getting whatever bird you want that you are ready for. If you do your research, and you want to get a macaw as your first bird, do it up. If you want to get a major Mitchell’s cockatoo as your first bird, and you are ready for it, do it. if you feel that you are ready to take on a cockatiel, make it happen.

I don’t think theirs is a “first bird” species. I think it’s what you’re ready for and what you want.

(But also out of my birds, my male cockatiel is the easiest - he’s big golden retriever energy and has the ability to be independent enough that I don’t have to give him constant attention. That said, mileage may vary.)
Thank you for your advice!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

Zara