• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from the cold north

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nìmwey

Strolling the yard
Hello there, I'm a soon to be twenty year old from Sweden.

I currently have a Meyers parrot, Saga, who's been with me since I was twelve. Before that I had two cockatiels (one, my first bird, died in an accident after just a few months, he was a store-bought bird who couldn't fly, fell off his perch, broke his back and died in my hands :() and one lovebird.
The lovebird, Freja, drowned in an aquarium the one time I forgot to cover it, and the other cockatiel, Idun (which turned out to be a male) fell crazily in love with Saga after I had gotten her, but she hated him, so he was rehomed to a guy some miles from me who got Idun a cockatiel girlfriend. That was in 2004, and he still lives there.

I was not very knowledgeable about birds at the time, but I've learned a lot over the last eight years.

When I was fifteen (a more arrogant, ignorant fifteen year old than I thought at the time, of course), I chose to listen to what I wanted to hear instead of what I should have done, so I got myself an Eleonora cockatoo, just four months old. His name is Yondo, and we had quite the journey. In february 2010, I got him a friend, an eighteen year old Lesser Sulphur-crested called Egon, who was a plucker.

He loved Yondo instantly, and roughly half a year after getting him, he and Yondo were preening each other for hours on end (supervised). The plan was to get them a huge cage (we're talking at least three meters wide) because I don't believe in all this "keeping birds separate in their two-three foot cages because they are our babies and we don't want them bonding to other birds".

But I came to the realisation that despite my best efforts, the life as a "pet bird" would never be enough for Yondo. He was very active, and I think he would only do in an aviary, in a zoo environment. I would never sell them to breeders, since I'm completely with the "Mytoos-people", cockatoos should not be bred as pets. My plan was to get them to Papegaaienpark Veldhoven in Holland.

But, seeming as Egon was of a CITES-protected species without a leg band and no papers, I would never be able to take him out of the country. So in october 2010, I gave them to Jonas Wahlström, owner of one of Swedens most famous zoos, and with lots of parrots (Hyacinth macaws, black cockatoos, etc.) at home. So they don't live at the zoo, but in aviaries at his home.
I had definitely not had a thought of this when I got Egon, but during the months that followed, I felt bad for them (especially Yondo, since Egon was not nearly as active and rarely flew at all) every time I saw a crow or a gull flying free outside.

Yondo and Egon on one of their carriers: http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5286/p1040293l.jpg
There was a big size difference, but Egons head and beak were actually larger than Yondos. :o:
And actually, Yondo will be five years old tomorrow. :) Too bad I can't be there with him. :(

So I still have Saga, and have been searching for a friend for her for years. (Though my focus was on getting Yondo a friend, since he was so much, much more demanding.)
I can't find a rehome male Meyers (it has to be a rehome since I no longer buy from breeders, and a male because female Poicephalus are so aggressive towards each other), so I've had to open up to other species.

In about a week, I will be getting a two year old female Black-headed Caique, who the owner originally got as company for her CAG (which of course, didn't work out - wrong size, wrong temperament). She and Saga met and it worked just fine. (The caique actually behaved like Egon did around Yondo - love at first sight.)
I believe that if they get some months to get to know each other, and with the right transitions, they will get along fine in a 5-6 foot cage, where they have room to get away from each other if needed.

Saga (or, as I call her all the time; Sagis): http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9953/sagabird.jpg
The Caique (called Doris with the current owner but originally Siri, I think I will change back to Siri): http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/9329/doris.jpg

My dream is to move to a warmer country (I'm a member of a little community aiming on a self-sustainable village, perhaps in Chile or Argentina) and have a small parrot rescue in "Cockatoo Rescue and Sanctuary-style" (mainly cockatoos and macaws).
I love dogs, snakes and many other things, but nothing evokes such passion in me to do things as parrots do.

//Frida

Last edited:

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Welcome :hug8: What a great introduction, looking forward to getting to know you on "the Ave" :hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

crystaljam

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
Welcome to the Avenue!

It sounds like you've had a lot of avian adventures so far!

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Welcome!!!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
What an intro! Welcome to Avian Avenue.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hi and Welcome! So glad you found us and joined. I really enjoyed your introduction. Can't wait to hear more.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
:welcomesign:
Welcome to Avian Avenue!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome!!

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
welcome to the Avenue! I hope you and your 2 cockatoo's like it here.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Warm greetings from B.C. Canada! Great introduction, nice to hear about your birds, your future plans and a bit about your rescue.
Are parrot supplies difficult to get in Sweden? Are they many organized bird clubs there?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome and enjoy the site!

Matt

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Hi! Enjoyed your introduction and especially your large cage mindset! Where do you find a cage 3 meters wide?

Just as you changed your view on keeping Toos in captivity, I hope you will reconsider your views on parrot breeders. Many breeders are generous with the knowledged they've gained over decades of parrot keeping and put the welfare of the species they breed above selling babies. I've met breeders who also help to rehome older birds and those who take in birds from people who cannot care for them.
Being a good steward of parrots can include responsible breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.