• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hello everyone

Elleybear

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Diana
Hello and I got a baby male cinnamon green cheek conure on January 23 2021 and his name is Timothy and he likes to bit. Can anyone help me to stop the bitting? 20210124_125523.jpg

Elleybear

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Diana
Hello and my name is Diana and I got a baby male cinnamon green cheek conure on January 23 2021 and his name is Timothy and he likes to bit. Can anyone help me to stop the biting? Also this is a picture of Timothy.
IMG_20210124_122259_01.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue Diana and Timothy :hiya:

How old is Timothy?
What prompts him to bite you? Like what exactly is happening when he decides to bite?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Diana! 1.welcome signs.gif

Maybe this article will help;

Here are some things to do with your new bird;

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
#1:

You shouldn’t allow him to perch that high now. This is very bad for training.

If he climbed up those curtains, move or fold them so he can’t. If he flew up there, I recommend having his wings clipped. It doesn’t hurt them, and the feathers grow back.

Many owners are against clipping, and I disagree with them. At the very least, clip him now so he’s dependent on you, to get on your hand and move him around the house. Birds generally like to be up higher, and not walk on the floor. But...not all birds.

Have you had the bird on your hand yet, or on a perch you’re holding?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcome2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! He's really cute.

clisa

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Lisa
My green cheek (in my avatar) also bites. He wants attention and gets it, but then suddenly bites but very very strongly and really punctures the skin deeply. We've tried so many different training techniques, even worked with a private trainer. I'm at a loss too. He's very affectionate with my 3 other birds and certainly wants our attention too but then seemingly randomly (though I know there's a reason I just haven't identified yet) he bites hard. I've had birds for 30+ years and have never been afraid of a bird like I am of him. There's something about the way he positions his beak that punctures deep. My late sun conure (not the one in my avatar) would bite if she was nervous but I was ok with it because it didn't break the skin as bad. I might be clipping his wings too if I can't figure out anything else. I have a dog, so I hesitate to clip my birds just in case someone gets out or in their room.

chuckylove

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
LLOYD
my bird bites when he is telling me either wants me to do something or to stop doing something, but then i put him back in the cage, and he will usually fly out a short while later to do smaller nibbles, which i assume is him ssying sorry! just put him in the cage if he bites you and don’t shout, eventsully he could learn it’s not nice, if my budgie can figure it out maybe your bird can too :)

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
#1:

You shouldn’t allow him to perch that high now. This is very bad for training.

If he climbed up those curtains, move or fold them so he can’t. If he flew up there, I recommend having his wings clipped. It doesn’t hurt them, and the feathers grow back.

Many owners are against clipping, and I disagree with them. At the very least, clip him now so he’s dependent on you, to get on your hand and move him around the house. Birds generally like to be up higher, and not walk on the floor. But...not all birds.

Have you had the bird on your hand yet, or on a perch you’re holding?
This is extremely wrong, you are essentially killing the birds choice by doing this. It is just like if I crippling an artist, just so that I can get my work done by force, against his choice.
That being said, I have a clipped conure (I got him that way from the shop and by no means support it), and it is extremely sad to see him getting stressed over the fact that he can't go to a place by himself and needs someone to drop him there. I can't wait for the day that he regains his flights.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
This is extremely wrong, you are essentially killing the birds choice by doing this. It is just like if I crippling an artist, just so that I can get my work done by force, against his choice.
That being said, I have a clipped conure (I got him that way from the shop and by no means support it), and it is extremely sad to see him getting stressed over the fact that he can't go to a place by himself and needs someone to drop him there. I can't wait for the day that he regains his flights.
It’s not wrong. You just disagree.