• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello Every One !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeborahJACKSON

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DEBORAH JACKSON
:dancing:Hello,
I am new to this site, just wanted to say hello. I have seen some names that I remember from a couple of other forums that I go to. I have a Congo African Grey named Houdini he is now going on 10 months old. He is turning out to be such a sweetie. I am looking now at getting a couple of new babies to my family. I am looking at cockatiels. I am a little confused when it comes to prices some are way high and some are very reasonable. So If any one has any advice to give me on that one I would appreciate it. Is any one here going to the Medina Bird Fair??? I was thinking I would look at a couple of cockatiels there. I have contacted a couple of breeders that are going to be there. I am looking forward to being a part of this forum and just looking to make some new friends and to learn all I can. and to be a part of this group with people who all have something in common. Our love for the birds of all kinds.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Welcome to Avian Avenue!

It's great that you're considering Cockatiels, they're one of the best birds. Cockatiel prices varey with mutations, the rarer the mutation, the higher the price will be, but prices are also different I'd imagine in different places/Countries. Here the Normal Grey Cockatiels go for for $50-60 and when you get up to mutations like Lutinos they're close to $100, other mutations such as Cinnamons, Pastelfaces, Albinos, Pieds, Whitefaces, Spanlges etc, they can be anywhere between $150-300. Again, this depends, because there's so many different mutations, the prices will vary a lot. I have a Clear Pied (all white) and he was my most expensive bird.. $150.

Generally you'll find they'll be cheaper from a breeder then if you got them from a store, I have never been to a bird fair, so not sure how the prices go with Cockatiels there. I'd strongly suggest going with a breeder though.

Good luck, and again, welcome to the forum! :)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Hi and welcome :)

Even though my signature is of Mousebirds, I also breed cockatiels. If considering a cockatiel you will really find they can be a joy to have.

As to prices, prices vary in different parts of the country. alot is dependant on how saturated (how many) breeders are in your area. The more breeders the more lower and competative the prices are. And as Renae pointed out alot of it also depends on mutations...which is another term for the visual color of the cockatiel. Common colors are normal grey, pearl pied, cinnamon, lutinos, and whiteface. Withing these color you may have a combination of colors on one bird. Ususally the more unusal or rarer (harder to find, such as fallows, emeralds, silvers) the higher the prices.

You can do a Google search for 'Cockatiel Mutations' this will give you an idea of the variety of colors there are.

Quest

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Judy
Please be careful about bringing disease
back from the bird fair to your grey. It is recommended
that you take off your clothes
and shower before being around your bird
after being at a fair. Also if you buy birds be sure and
quarantine them. Of course you
probably know this but not everyone does.
Oh and welcome to the Avenue! Glad you are
here.:D

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Welcome to Avian Avenue!:dancing:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome aaboard...and yes, do get a tiel they are lovely little creatures with loads of personality and ditto on the bird fair...please change and wash clothes..in fact showering might even be recommended.

DeborahJACKSON

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DEBORAH JACKSON
ok, I will do that. you guys are scaring me now. I dont want to bring anything home to make my children or my grey sick. I never thought of that. Please tell me more. How long would I have to keep the cocktiel or 's seperated from my grey and you do mean just in another room right. and how would I know if they were sick???

DeborahJACKSON

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DEBORAH JACKSON
ok, I will do that. you guys are scaring me now. I dont want to bring anything home to make my children or my grey sick. I never thought of that. Please tell me more. How long would I have to keep the cocktiel or 's seperated from my grey and you do mean just in another room right. and how would I know if they were sick???

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Hi Deborah, and welcome! What a cute name for your CAG.

There's been a lot written about quarantining, so you may want to search it on this forum.

Also, there are people who go to great lengths after coming from a fair to wash clothes, hands, etc. and others who don't. That's an interesting question...whether people who have not taken those precautions encountered issues about bringing in sickness to their flock. I would guess it would be a small percentage.

At any event, you will certainly get a lot of input from members here!

DeborahJACKSON

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DEBORAH JACKSON
I would love to see a picture of your bullfrog. when I first got married all my kitchen ware was in frogs...Of cours after many years of marriage I am not sure what happened to it...lol:dance4:

DeborahJACKSON

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DEBORAH JACKSON

There's been a lot written about quarantining, so you may want to search it on this forum.

Also, there are people who go to great lengths after coming from a fair to wash clothes, hands, etc. and others who don't. That's an interesting question...whether people who have not taken those precautions encountered issues about bringing in sickness to their flock. I would guess it would be a small percentage.

Hello,
and thank you !!!! I remeber you from the other forum I was in. I dont think it is active any more though. This is a very nice place with lots of information and nice people.

DeborahJACKSON

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
DEBORAH JACKSON

Hello,
and thank you !!!! I remeber you from the other forum I was in. I dont think it is active any more though. This is a very nice place with lots of information and nice people.

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Deborah welcome to the neighborhood :) Please do some more research prior to adding to your flock. Hopefully you have a avian vet, that's a good place to start. If you don't, there is a wealth of information to be found here in some incredibility knowledgeable members. Please do some search's and read up :) Adding to your flock is fun and rewarding as long as you follow some simple procedures :)

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Hi and welcome!!

Please be careful about bringing in new birds to your home, especially from a bird fair. It could be a recipe for disaster.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It's recommended 30 days, but I think 90 days is A LOT safer. During quarantine the bird(s) should be taken to a Certified Avian Vet and have all tests possible done on them (
make sure they're tested for a disease called Psittacosis it can be fatal) and be checked from tail to head. If possible, a room for quarantine should be a fair way away from where your current birds are being kept, at the other end of the house if possible - it's said quarantine is better to be done in a completely different building but that's not possible for everyone.

Here is a link to an article that has signs of illness: Winged Wisdom Magazine. Signs of Illness in parrots and exotic birds

Last edited:

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
Welcome to AA! 'Tiels are the sweethearts of the bird world. Good luck with your search! Please do be careful of going to the fair, and a good quarantine is recommended when bringing any new bird home, whether it is from a fair or from a breeder's home. Love the name Houdini!!

Status
Not open for further replies.