• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello and Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.

nephritikis

Checking out the neighborhood
I came to this website looking for information on the red-fan/hawk-headed parrot. I was looking for a little bit of everything, really: what it eats, how it behaves, what it sounds like, whether or not it can talk, etc. I'll spare you the lengthy detail, and say it was for a book I was writing, and has officially been published as of a week ago.
I won't be plugging it here on the message board, though:
1. Because after looking over the rules, it comes to my attention the admins would probably frown on that.
2. Because it's not really an informational book on birds so much as it is a high fantasy swords and sourcery minus the sourcery (for now) kind of book, and it probably wouldn't appeal to a lot of people here (I'm guessing).
Still, if anyone's interested in it, you're more than welcome to send me a PM, and I'll gladly direct you to where you can pick up a copy.
Really, though, I just wanted to say thanks for all the information you guys provided. Sure, I could've just picked red-fan from a list of parrots off of Wikipedia based on the photos, or because the name sounded cool, and just make it up as I go. However, that's just not how I work, and I ended up using the information in this thread right here, and the articles it linked to for a good chunk of my research material.
http://forums.avianavenue.com/hawkhead-trail/2359-hawk-headed-red-fan-parrot.html
Even with all this information, I can't guarantee my portrayal of the red-fan is 100% accurate, but I tried to make it as accurate as possible given the circumstances.
Had I thought about it, I would've put the thank you in the actual book, but by the time I thought of it, it was unfortunately already printed and on its way to the nearest Barnes & Noble. I feel like I should still give out a thank you where the thank you is due, though, So I'll say it right here on the site I referenced. Thanks for all the information. I'll definitely be coming here again next time I need information on birds. Heck, considering this is only book 1 of 4, I'll probably even come back to the red-fan thread I have bookmarked to stay consistent.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Hi and welcome to the Avenue. I am curious if you used any pics or quoted any info from here.

nephritikis

Checking out the neighborhood
I didn't really quote anything. Rather, I just took what I learned, and applied it to the process of making the red-fan in the story as accurate to the real deal as possible. So, for example, when feeding time came around, the guy who owns the bird gives it the right food. And the bird would behave this way to it's owner, and another way towards a complete stranger. That sort of thing.

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcomesign: to the Avenue.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (: