• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello and Parrot Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPC

Moving in
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I'm hoping some of you friendly people could give me some advice on what bird to buy!

I've previously had budgies, so I'm not a total beginner, but I want something a bit bigger. Could anyone suggest which bird to get that will satisfy the following:

* Not too big (e.g. Macaw) but a bigger, more involved bird than a budgie
* Friendly bird that won't just attach to one person
* Good talker / mimicer
* Will be ok being on its own during the day time (will have time to come out in the evenings and weekends)

I've read that Amazons are ok if you have to work in the daytime. I also heard the Senegalese is ok with this, but they don't talk too well.

Thanks for any help!

:dance4:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! It might be best to ask in the main section (Bird Boulevard) as more people will see it. I hope that you enjoy the site!

Matt

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Welcome to the Avenue!

Ability to talk can be tricky. I have an African Grey who used to talk up a storm when he was younger. Now he chooses to beep & whistle & imitate appliances instead. He still says "Hello" and "Good night", but he doesn't try new words anymore. I also have a pionus, a species who are NOT known for their ability to talk/mimic. He talks endlessly all day! He learns words & phrases with two or three repetitions, and he uses words in different sentences, usually in the correct context. It's a little scary sometimes. :D

It's great that you're doing your research ahead of time. Can't wait to see what type of parrot you end up getting! :)

Penguin18

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Meghan
Hi and Welcome!

I stick by my thoughts that Quakers and Conures are very good for someone not too advanced quite yet. It has taken me a bit to get Penguin (my Quaker) to where he is, but he talks up a storm all day and he knows that all his attention will only come at night/late evening when I am home from work. He is perfectly fine in his cage by the window talking and bathing and playing until then. It seems as though any bird can attach only to one person if he is not socialized by many people constantly. Penguin went through a few months without anyone but me, and he instantly bonded and will not put up with anyone else. Before that, he let everyone touch him. I think it just requires constant handling by multiple personalities. Hope this helps!

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcomesign:

Status
Not open for further replies.