• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Height Dominance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cory
I agree, totally.

Kelli I recommend Barbara Heidenreich's Parrot Problem Solver, GREAT copy to have on hand, and she breaks it up VERY good, and very easy to understand and relate to. Very great book to have on hand.
That's an excellent recommendation! I have this book too and it is fantastic. :)

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
You confuse dominance with their natural behavior to instinctively try and stay alive.:hug8:
I agree, totally.

Kelli I recommend Barbara Heidenreich's Parrot Problem Solver, GREAT copy to have on hand, and she breaks it up VERY good, and very easy to understand and relate to. Very great book to have on hand.
My birds don't have issues unless they are above me So i solved it Grab a chair and they come running to me

every one has an opinion every ones opinion is different, always has been always will be

My birds know they are safe here, and they know when I tell them it's time to go back to their cage to step up and they do willingly UNLESS they are above me I am 5'6 my cages are MUCH taller than me I'd guess the from the floor to the top they're close to 6' tall i have never measured them (remember its 2 cages stacked)if they're on the "bottom" cage top they do just fine it's only when they climb to the top cage Or to the top of one of the shelves or get up on a curtain rod But once I have my chair and get up on it they're fine and step right up the 1st time I ASK them

I don't demand them to do anything, If they don't want to the 1st time I go do something else and try again in a couple minutes, its after trying to get them to step up for several minutes and all they do is run further back to where I can't get to them at all from the ground (back corners of cages up against a wall can't get to it) or they bite the living crap out of me. and These are birds that do not normally bite me.

but if birds feel safe being up high, why is it none of my birds really use the top of their cage? with the exception of the budgies who use the entire cage but my tiels, conures, and quakers prefer to use from the center of the cage down , Andy(conure) finally found out he likes the floor of the cage after all he used to only stay in the center and use the sides/doors to get around would not get on the floor of the cage for nothing but Chloe showed him how fun it was and how fun toys were too

but there is something about them being up higher than the person.. For a bird who normally listens and does as they're asked, and never bites. to get above some one and refuse to listen, refuses to do as they are asked and will bite the snot out of you - This includes Nibbles biting my son if she gets above him and SHE NEVER bites him she loves him and he loves her
and we do not speak to them any differently when they are up high as when they're down low or right even with us

but That's just my opinion

all birds are different what might not be a dominance issue with some one elses bird may just be that with a different persons bird

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.