• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

heat lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I have that heat lamp!! It's excellent!! I have it as an emergency light for when they are ill... but it's great and very safe :) Their heat panels are also great!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Heat Emitters designed for reptiles are often wayyyy too hot. I don't know about that one in particular, but I wouldn't feel safe using anything designed for reptiles. It's good that it emits no light though.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
My avian vet recommended 60 watts for a sick birdie. Are you using them for regular use though? Honestly they're not too necessary on a regular basis, really, unless you keep your house REALLY cold, like under 65 I'd say.

:huh: I just saw that Avitech doesn't have the 60 watt listed anymore. That's what one I own. Very strange??

bookworm

Jogging around the block
Real Name
thou
My avian vet recommended 60 watts for a sick birdie. Are you using them for regular use though? Honestly they're not too necessary on a regular basis, really, unless you keep your house REALLY cold, like under 65 I'd say.

:huh: I just saw that Avitech doesn't have the 60 watt listed anymore. That's what one I own. Very strange??
during the winter, sometimes it can get pretty cold in my apt. since i rent, i'm not in control of heating. trust me, i'd blast it at 80 all day. me and the fids should just move to africa or south america. it's a never ending battle: summers are great for fids, but bad for the rabbit. winter is great for bunny, but bad for fids. i don't plan on using it all day, just whenever it's a bit too cold.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
during the winter, sometimes it can get pretty cold in my apt. since i rent, i'm not in control of heating. trust me, i'd blast it at 80 all day. me and the fids should just move to africa or south america. it's a never ending battle: summers are great for fids, but bad for the rabbit. winter is great for bunny, but bad for fids. i don't plan on using it all day, just whenever it's a bit too cold.
Ah, okay. Well, in that case I would say either get one of the lower wattage heat panels, or get a heat lamp and just move it further away if it's too warm... I guess the reptile one would be okay then? Not too sure.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
what about a small heater near their cages?

I have one of those oil filled radiator type heaters that I use during the winter to keep the area around the birds warm -

It doesn't get too hot, is safe and doesn't run up the power bill

bookworm

Jogging around the block
Real Name
thou
what about a small heater near their cages?

I have one of those oil filled radiator type heaters that I use during the winter to keep the area around the birds warm -

It doesn't get too hot, is safe and doesn't run up the power bill
is that like a space heater? i'll google it

bookworm

Jogging around the block
Real Name
thou
i like that idea. it doesnt blow out air right? so you just buy more oil and refill whenever you need it?

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
it does not blow air and NO, you do not add oil - it is sealed, it never needs filling

you just plug it in the wall, set the temp and go :)

I like it - it takes a little while for the area to get warm, but it doesn't create a 'hot spot' or a draft

I also have thermo perches in each cage that they use even in the summer

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im not sure if I'd recommend heat lamps that made for reptiles to be used on birds. Its not that the heat is too strong, its just bad for bird eyes. The heat lamp will have to be 12-20" away from the birds cage, sometimes closer depending on how cold the room is, for the heat to really help the bird. And that is too close for the birds eye's comfort. There was a thread on this. Reptile heat bulbs and florescent lights vs avian. It was a very informative topic, I wish someone would have made it a sticky.

I'd only use heat lamps as an extreme emergency. Its sucks out all the moisture in the air (so do space heaters but the heat lamp will suck all the moisture out of the air right over the spot its directed). IMO not really safe for birds for a prolong use.

Thermoperches and space heaters work the best, IMO. I plan on getting more thermo perches in the future for all my fids.

Also since its near cold times, heaters will be on. I recommend a humidifier. It helps add moisture back into the air that the heat saps out.

Last edited:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Mercedez is right about reptile lamps-- but that one in particular did not emit light, so I would think it would be safe.

I personally am not comfortable using thermoperches. I live in an area with a LOT of power outages and sometimes power surges, and I have seen some very graphic photos of a poor amazon whose feet were badly, badly burned by a thermoperch.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Mercedez is right about reptile lamps-- but that one in particular did not emit light, so I would think it would be safe.

I personally am not comfortable using thermoperches. I live in an area with a LOT of power outages and sometimes power surges, and I have seen some very graphic photos of a poor amazon whose feet were badly, badly burned by a thermoperch.
I wonder why the zon would keep its feet on something that would burn it? Sick bird with nerve damage in the feet so it cant tell its feet are broiling?

I do wonder if I should plug the thermo perches into a thermostat though? I do that for our reptile's under tank heating pads.

I planned on wrapping the heating perches in hemp rope. So Im hoping it'll keep the fids safe.

bookworm

Jogging around the block
Real Name
thou
Im not sure if I'd recommend heat lamps that made for reptiles to be used on birds. Its not that the heat is too strong, its just bad for bird eyes. The heat lamp will have to be 12-20" away from the birds cage, sometimes closer depending on how cold the room is, for the heat to really help the bird. And that is too close for the birds eye's comfort. There was a thread on this. Reptile heat bulbs and florescent lights vs avian. It was a very informative topic, I wish someone would have made it a sticky.

I'd only use heat lamps as an extreme emergency. Its sucks out all the moisture in the air (so do space heaters but the heat lamp will suck all the moisture out of the air right over the spot its directed). IMO not really safe for birds for a prolong use.

Thermoperches and space heaters work the best, IMO. I plan on getting more thermo perches in the future for all my fids.

Also since its near cold times, heaters will be on. I recommend a humidifier. It helps add moisture back into the air that the heat saps out.

yep, i got a humidifier and air purifier as well. i think i'll go w/ the oil filled radiator. i'll still look at the heat lamps for more info though.

Status
Not open for further replies.