• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heart is bursting with love, Paco!

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well I have been taking everyone's advice. The patience, the set backs, the biting. Keeping a routine, love and being calm. Always telling him what I am doing.

Tonight he was watching making my bed and he was so inquisitive, I continued watching him, close the curtains, reminded him NO Bite, and turn off the fish tank. He was on the door of his cage (ugg dreaded door). I reached out my arm, waiting for a bite, he climbed up to the top of his cage and calmly stepped up. We are branching out and looking around the room and out the bedroom door. He was a little nervous, I just want to expand his world a little at a time.

Happy dance, this is one happy parrot parent!!!

Thank you all for your continued support and advice!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:yourock:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Does anyone else pamper their parrots? Paco was being pig headed about eating veggies. I didn't give him a sweet potato for a month since he threw it on the floor. Just now while it was warm I held a slice and he gobbled it up. I noticed too he loves his warm carrots, I put them on my finger tips and he again nibbles them off. I don't think he is eating them from his bowl. I'll keep watch and see if he is eating them.

Do you hold goodies for your parrot?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Well I have been taking everyone's advice. The patience, the set backs, the biting. Keeping a routine, love and being calm. Always telling him what I am doing.

Tonight he was watching making my bed and he was so inquisitive, I continued watching him, close the curtains, reminded him NO Bite, and turn off the fish tank. He was on the door of his cage (ugg dreaded door). I reached out my arm, waiting for a bite, he climbed up to the top of his cage and calmly stepped up. We are branching out and looking around the room and out the bedroom door. He was a little nervous, I just want to expand his world a little at a time.

Happy dance, this is one happy parrot parent!!!

Thank you all for your continued support and advice!
It's those teeny tiny baby steps that are priceless to a parront! It sounds like both of you are making progress.:cheer::cheer::cheer:

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Does anyone else pamper their parrots? Paco was being pig headed about eating veggies. I didn't give him a sweet potato for a month since he threw it on the floor. Just now while it was warm I held a slice and he gobbled it up. I noticed too he loves his warm carrots, I put them on my finger tips and he again nibbles them off. I don't think he is eating them from his bowl. I'll keep watch and see if he is eating them.

Do you hold goodies for your parrot?

Certainly! I don't really consider it pampering, especially when it gets the parrots to try foods that are good for them that they might not eat otherwise. :D

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:happydance:

I'm overjoyed for you!!!!

:birdance:
Buddy likes his veggies & fruits warmed. I just soak in a bowl or 7nder the faucet. Take things like apples out of the fridge & let them warm over night. I do cook them too but he usually just wants 1 of the 2 fresh, that I make in the evening.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I do warm up his food, he seems to prefer it that way. He was snubbing sweet potatoes for a month or two. Yesterday, I held a warm slice of sweet potato and he nibbled all of it. In addition he ate his string beans and his warm frozen carrots. It also gave me a chance to stand close to him, talk and teach him what each item is.

I just felt so rewarded and I finally am going places with him. Knowing Paco he will whack me on the back of the head when I'm not looking (I hope not) Its the little victories that matter.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Progress is a beautiful thing. Very happy all is going well. Dont get discouraged if something bad happens after all this good. They always got to test the waters here and there.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well I was right, the little stinker nailed me on top of the head when I was cleaning his cage. I'm still tickled about the progress, he is eating better and as I continue to talk to him he takes interest. Today when I came home he even offered me some chirps as I opened his cage. I have removed the "scary toys" that I was hoping he would get used to, so now he walks over to me when I'm talking to him. He can see better out he window as well.

Happy dance!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@BertAllen OUCH! Just when I thought we were making progress, (he now steps onto the top of the cage and then turns around to step up on my arm) I put him away yesterday day. I had on a flannel shirt and to give my poor hand some protection I pulled the cuff down. Sure enough, he reached with his beak, not to bite, to steady himself? Well he did get in a pinch and as I put him in the cage another sharp pinch on the back of my hand. Not a lunge or chomp but it still hurt. I wasn't sure what to do. I just grit my teeth, told him good boy and he got on his perch and I gave him his peanut.

I was thinking I would confuse him, if I said no bite. I want to encourage the stepping up without biting but he did step up.

So I'm kind of dreading putting him away today. I just don't want to through a treat in his cup and get inside. I want him to learn 1. not nice to bite, 2. He can step up with out biting.

Hope your face didn't get bruised, my hand will bruise if he clamps down.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
@BertAllen OUCH! Just when I thought we were making progress, (he now steps onto the top of the cage and then turns around to step up on my arm) I put him away yesterday day. I had on a flannel shirt and to give my poor hand some protection I pulled the cuff down. Sure enough, he reached with his beak, not to bite, to steady himself? Well he did get in a pinch and as I put him in the cage another sharp pinch on the back of my hand. Not a lunge or chomp but it still hurt. I wasn't sure what to do. I just grit my teeth, told him good boy and he got on his perch and I gave him his peanut.

I was thinking I would confuse him, if I said no bite. I want to encourage the stepping up without biting but he did step up.

So I'm kind of dreading putting him away today. I just don't want to through a treat in his cup and get inside. I want him to learn 1. not nice to bite, 2. He can step up with out biting.

Hope your face didn't get bruised, my hand will bruise if he clamps down.
I find I get more nips if I wear a long sleeve shirt as it moves when he stands on it so he uses his side cutters to hold on. A hoodie sleeve is better or bare arm or hand.

I'm thick skinned LOL. It's ok and the little hole will heal quick. I wonder if he swallowed that bit. :)
My hand bruises real easy as well. Actually they look like blood blisters, as of right now I'm clear skinned till the next time.