• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heart disease in parrots

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There are clinical signs that are looked for in determining major heart disease:

Dyspnea (difficulty breathing) - this can come and go
Periodic weakness
Syncope (fainting) - such as falling off a perch
Coughing - this can be infrequent
Exercise intolerence
Coelomic swelling
Lethargy
Edema

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Good information - but how do they treat heart disease in parrots?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'll be going through my notes to update the thread. Each seminar was 1 1/2 hours long so you can imagine the notes from each one.

I'm sure it's like everything though, there is no "one size fits all" and it will depend on multitude of factors.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for the info

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My Jasper (22 yo female GW) has severe cardiomyopothy (congestive heart failure) and has had it since she was 6 1/2 years old when I got her. She was diagnosed through xrays when I took her to the vet because of labored breathing and not recovering fast enough after physical exertion and extremely fast weight gain (fluid retention from lack of adequate circulation). She started out with both atrial chambers occluded and her left ventricle twice as large as her right ventricle. Her vet and I are convinced that the cardiomyopathy was due to a bad diet. Her former owners loved her and gave her everything she wanted - nothing that was good for her - including bacon, ice cream, fritos, lots and lots of eggs, cookies, candy...........!!

She was originally treated with enalipril and for the last few years with benazipril. The change to benazipril was to help with the high blood pressure she developed. Additionally, she has been on RPO and Flaxseed oil and a greatly reduced fat diet. Over the years she has developed artherosclerosis ( extensive in both ascending and descnding arteries and even a bit of thrombosis). My vet is wonderful and has always been very attentive to Jasper's condition. A few months ago, when Jasper was declining significantly, he did some research and found clinical trials where garlic helped birds with her condition. She now gets lots of garlic. Don't use the garlic unless your vet agrees - it has had the reputation of being hemolytic. She also gets two hours per day in her oxygen box.

Her cardiomyopathy, because of very, very poor circulation and therefore lack of oxygenation, has caused many other health issues including severe arthritis in both feet, one ankle and the elbow in one wing. Her immune system is suppressed and her liver and kidneys are compromised -- not enough oxygen. Her supportive care includes 12 hours per night, every night, of sleep. She sleeps in a dog crate to eliminate the chance of her falling and injuring herself and to take the pressure off her arthritic feet. She has had two toes on her left foot removed because of pain and she has had numerous pain meds. Right now she is on Celebrex and gabapentin. My advice is to get an xray every other year on a younger bird, every year on an older bird. Make them exercise, keep their diet lean on saturated fats, high on omega 3 and 6 and encourage green leafy vegetables. She gets lots of outside time and loves it. She takes 6 meds and supportive supplements in the morning and 5 at night - she has been on this regimen for 15 years.

Jasper is doing well now, but ending in Oct. 2015 she recovered from 18 months of very bad health when I thought I would lose her from day to day.

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
My Jasper (22 yo female GW) has severe cardiomyopothy (congestive heart failure) and has had it since she was 6 1/2 years old when I got her. She was diagnosed through xrays when I took her to the vet because of labored breathing and not recovering fast enough after physical exertion and extremely fast weight gain (fluid retention from lack of adequate circulation). She started out with both atrial chambers occluded and her left ventricle twice as large as her right ventricle. Her vet and I are convinced that the cardiomyopathy was due to a bad diet. Her former owners loved her and gave her everything she wanted - nothing that was good for her - including bacon, ice cream, fritos, lots and lots of eggs, cookies, candy...........!!

She was originally treated with enalipril and for the last few years with benazipril. The change to benazipril was to help with the high blood pressure she developed. Additionally, she has been on RPO and Flaxseed oil and a greatly reduced fat diet. Over the years she has developed artherosclerosis ( extensive in both ascending and descnding arteries and even a bit of thrombosis). My vet is wonderful and has always been very attentive to Jasper's condition. A few months ago, when Jasper was declining significantly, he did some research and found clinical trials where garlic helped birds with her condition. She now gets lots of garlic. Don't use the garlic unless your vet agrees - it has had the reputation of being hemolytic. She also gets two hours per day in her oxygen box.

Her cardiomyopathy, because of very, very poor circulation and therefore lack of oxygenation, has caused many other health issues including severe arthritis in both feet, one ankle and the elbow in one wing. Her immune system is suppressed and her liver and kidneys are compromised -- not enough oxygen. Her supportive care includes 12 hours per night, every night, of sleep. She sleeps in a dog crate to eliminate the chance of her falling and injuring herself and to take the pressure off her arthritic feet. She has had two toes on her left foot removed because of pain and she has had numerous pain meds. Right now she is on Celebrex and gabapentin. My advice is to get an xray every other year on a younger bird, every year on an older bird. Make them exercise, keep their diet lean on saturated fats, high on omega 3 and 6 and encourage green leafy vegetables. She gets lots of outside time and loves it. She takes 6 meds and supportive supplements in the morning and 5 at night - she has been on this regimen for 15 years.

Jasper is doing well now, but ending in Oct. 2015 she recovered from 18 months of very bad health when I thought I would lose her from day to day.
Wow. She is very lucky to have you. That's a lot, and I am sure a lot of work, but I bet she's completely worth it. :)

I have experience with heart disease because of Sam. Sam was diagnosed at around 2 years old. My vet believes Sam was either born with this or with issues that led to heart disease. Probably the latter. Sam has an enlarged, lumpy heart and endocarditis. In the beginning he was on a bunch of medicines, around 9 a day. Now he takes Enacard, vitamin k (chronic bleeding issues) heart supplements, and gabapentin for pain (my vet believes he has nerve issues as well). Sam's also very sensitive to many medicines. So we must be careful. He has frequent Dr visits and he recently had an ultrasound to check on his heart. Thankfully there was good news, his heart is functioning well. :)

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Thank you so much for the information. It is greatly appreciated.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Jasper is so lucky to have you @Hankmacaw . I really didn't think a bird would eat that kind of junk food but I can say I learned something today. It's amazing the new research and information and treatments they are finding to help birds these days.

I don't feel so bad now when Gracie steals a little bit of my granola or wants a bite of cereal from me.