• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Head flipping

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
This is not urgent. I had to pick a prefix to be able to post.

After just reading a recent thread “are these seizures “ i got to wondering about one of my cockatiels. Once in a while he’ll flip his head back. Usually when he’s riled up about something. For example …at night he and his brother want the same sleeping spot. I make them take turns every night. This bird “Little B” sometimes forgets its not his turn. Ill have to yell at him thats its not his turn. He’ll leave the favorite spot and then start his head flipping.He may do it a couple times or so but thats it.Never has fallen off his perch or anything like that when flipping his head. I always thought he was being goofy because his mother does this head twisting thing when she wants something. His brother whom which he has shared a cage with since they were little , doesn’t do the head flip.
Ill post a video for opinions.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Hi,
This cage in the video, appears to be to small, can you show the whole cage? I know, it feels like attacks when we talk set ups . It's not, I started out with to small of cages for many years , that's what they sell, that's what you see other birds in, and you don't realize the difference in behavior or actives until you see them in larger cages .

The reason I ask, is because to me , this is coming across as stylized behavior, that you see in critters kept in to small of cages.

Rebel

Hi,
This cage in the video, appears to be to small, can you show the whole cage? I know, it feels like attacks when we talk set ups . It's not, I started out with to small of cages for many years , that's what they sell, that's what you see other birds in, and you don't realize the difference in behavior or actives until you see them in larger cages .

The reason I ask, is because to me , this is coming across as stylized behavior, that you see in critters kept in to small of cages.
This is their entire cage. Often thought about putting them in separate cages but they seem quite content. IMG_3679.jpeg

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Rebel,
Thank you for sharing. Love seeing veggies in there!

But yes, this really is just way to small a cage , even for just one Budgie.

I don't know your situation on space , availability, or budget.

But definitely a much larger cage would fit on the table.

I have to really budget my finances. It took time looking for gently like new used cages without rust. And took even longer, because I wanted them all to be white in matching styles. I did it tho :) I found 3 large cages from different sources and the price of those 3 used cages ran me, 75 for cheapest, 100 for the next and 125 for the last I found . I saw other suitable ones offered for 50, but I wanted white and these box size flat tops. One from Craigslist, one from Facebook marketplace, one sold at a pet store as gentle like new used.

Until you can get a cage that is much much larger. Letting them out of the cage more. Put perches on the outside of the cage too, and then they can use it like a bird play gym ..

I'm sorry to say , I'm near 100% certain after seeing the cage , that his head flipping is a result of this tight confinement. I strongly urge you to find a larger cage as quickly as possible .

I'm pretty sure at least one of mine is this brisbon cage. Only in white , they are this box style it's my preference, easy to add rope perches across top, slip an acrylic sheet on top , so when birds are out on top no poos fall down. This is the size I think you need to aim for

Last edited:

Rebel

Theres no question I agree bigger is better. I actually have a couple great big extras. Space is not a problem nor is money. Im not rich but im not poor either. This cage is one of six occupied cages. As far as huge cages goes, one of my problems is, three cages i move to another room at night because when one of them gets night fright,( not if but when ) i dont want the entire flock being triggered. Its happened before. But more importantly, what happens if theres a fire or tornado, ( tornadoes happen here in PA ) , i have to be able to get them out of the house or down to the basement in minutes. Im at a crossroads.

What ill do is , Ill look for the biggest cages that i can possibly manage incase of an emergency etc.

Rebel

Rebel,
Thank you for sharing. Love seeing veggies in there!

But yes, this really is just way to small a cage , even for just one Budgie.

I don't know your situation on space , availability, or budget.

But definitely a much larger cage would fit on the table.

I have to really budget my finances. It took time looking for gently like new used cages without rust. And took even longer, because I wanted them all to be white in matching styles. I did it tho :) I found 3 large cages from different sources and the price of those 3 used cages ran me, 75 for cheapest, 100 for the next and 125 for the last I found . I saw other suitable ones offered for 50, but I wanted white and these box size flat tops. One from Craigslist, one from Facebook marketplace, one sold at a pet store as gentle like new used.

Until you can get a cage that is much much larger. Letting them out of the cage more. Put perches on the outside of the cage too, and then they can use it like a bird play gym ..

I'm sorry to say , I'm near 100% certain after seeing the cage , that his head flipping is a result of this tight confinement. I strongly urge you to find a larger cage as quickly as possible .

I'm pretty sure at least one of mine is this brisbon cage. Only in white , they are this box style it's my preference, easy to add rope perches across top, slip an acrylic sheet on top , so when birds are out on top no poos fall down. This is the size I think you need to aim for
Thank you for the recommendation. You feel this is suitable for 2 birds? Ill check into this one and others of the same size.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I definitely agree with Pixiebeak.
My cocky did a very similar thing non stop when he first came to me, he did not move anywhere nor eat on his own when I first got him, after watching videos the AV agreed that it looked like a coping mechanism- now that he has learned to get about on his own and feed himself etc he rarely ever does it unless he is stressed out by something. He used to do it non stop, sometimes for a long a time and other times just a few head swings when he wanted to move but wasn't sure how to - the less stressed he has become the less I see any of that head swinging.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
You can use the small cage for a sleep only cage . Then you just need to move the birds into the bird room and put them in the sleep cage , and can keep the big cage out .

I always hang onto small cages , In case I need for emergency. The shelf under larger cages is often a great place to store them.

Rebel

We are looking into cages as we speak. Thanks for the help thus far.

Rebel

You can use the small cage for a sleep only cage . Then you just need to move the birds into the bird room and put them in the sleep cage , and can keep the big cage out .

I always hang onto small cages , In case I need for emergency. The shelf under larger cages is often a great place to store them.
Changing cages at night is probably best.