• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

He keeps sneezing !!!!!

Nakeisha

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nakeisha
Hey, my bird ( green cheek conure ) keeps sneezing, and it’s like more then twice, it’s like 5 or 6 times in a row, there is nothing coming out of his nose he seems to be completely fine, it’s just a little scary someone help!?!?!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How often is he having these sneezing fits? What was he doing before they started? Sometimes they can get water or seeds etc in their nares.

Nakeisha

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nakeisha
It can be whenever, it’s not a pattern, so far it’s been since yesterday, he fluffs up his feathers, after seeing him yesterday sneezing so much, I did a deep clean of my room, all the dust gone, clean air, but for some reason he did it again today, it wasn’t as bad as yesterday tho? I’m scared I don’t really know why he does it

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Typically, dry sneezes are normal. Wet sneezes can be cause for concern. If they are dry sneezes, you can try giving him a bath/misting him. Also, if it's cold where you are and you have the furnace on, the air could be at bit dry. You can try adding a humidifier/vaporizer- like they put in baby's rooms.

Nakeisha

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nakeisha
omg thank u, I’m live in Australia so it’s very hot down here, but my room stays cool, i have never given him a bath before, mainly bc he doesn’t want to, I was thinking having a shower with him but I don’t know?

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I was thinking having a shower with him but I don’t know
Some birds don’t enjoy showers, or can have problems with inhaling the water during showers. Maybe try monitoring how he reacts to a misting from a spray bottle first.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I just mist by birds with a spray bottle. I use luke warm water. Don't force it- if he doesn't like it or seems scared, stop. You want baths to be fun. If my birds don't want a bath, I just try again later or the next day. If you do mist/bathe him, make sure you do it early enough in the day that he's dry for bedtime.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I should add, if he seems sick, don't bathe him but sometimes even non- dusty birds like conures get a bit "dusty" and can sneeze from preening, etc.

Nakeisha

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nakeisha
Some birds don’t enjoy showers, or can have problems with inhaling the water during showers. Maybe try monitoring how he reacts to a misting from a spray bottle first.
Okay thank u so much for ur help

Nakeisha

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nakeisha
Update, he was sneezing just before, and it was wet, like snot came out when he was sneezing and then he wiped it on me, now his nose is fine I’m so confused and scared I hope his not sick or anything bc everything else seems fine ☹

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If he is having wet sneezes, and frequent sneezing, I would be off to the vet myself

Nakeisha

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nakeisha
How much money will it be to take him to the vet ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It really depends on the vet. I would plan on at least $100, but be prepared for $200 or more depending on the illness and tests.

kadie

Meeting neighbors
I’m taking him to the vet tomorrow !!
Hi what was the result of this. My blue throat has started to sneeze and its like allllll day. But i think its with the heating going on with it being colder. No wet discharge or anything like that

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
In every bird I have sneezing in, other than a post bath ,or one off, has been sick . Every single time.

You do not have to have discharge, for a bird to have a respiratory infection.

kadie

Meeting neighbors
Ok i mist sprayed him and then put a dehumidifier beside his cage for a little bit (when he was dry) the sneezing seems to have stopped all together i think possibly something stuck dust or something or too dry with the heating going on the colder months maybe

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Pippen loves to dunk her food in her water and it makes her sneeze for a while till she gets her nares clear again. We took her to the vet for her checkup and mentioned the sneezing so the vet gave us a antihistamine tablet to scrape some off to give her just in case because everything looked and sounded great. She doesn't have wet sneezes and once she clears her nose out she stops. Your bird sounds like it has a problem that needs a vet check and I hope you made it to the vet to see what's up.