• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hawkhead compatibility with other species?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I were to consider a hawkhead in the future, is there anything I should be aware of? Such as, are they known to attack smaller birds? I have some green-cheek sized birds I have to consider the safety of, and while hawkheads aren't necessarily "big," they're giants compared to my little ones. Would it be safe to have them in the same room? I wouldn't put them in the same play area of course, but my birds are flighted and I've never had to worry about size difference before. Just doing some preliminary research.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Both of my HH's have a buddy so to speak. Cochise and Holly are out together all day. Holly does not have a mean bone in her body. As the years have gone by, they are getting closer and closer. They actually can sit on a perch together. I am just waiting for the day when one gets the nerve up to touch the other...:)
Yuna and Elfe are out together. If Yuna lands on the edge of Elfe's cage, and Elfe is in her cage, she does not bother Yuna, nor does Yuna bother her. I do keep sheets on top of the cages, so toes do not get nipped. But sometimes the edge works it 's way back, and still they have not caused any aggression. When they are out together, they both go about their own. If Yuna gets a bit too close, Elfe has put her neck feathers up a time or two, and Yuna has also raised her crest, but then she flies back to her own cage. I really think it will be a matter of monitoring them, and each individual's personality. I would not leave them out together unsupervised, because as we know accidents can happen in the blink of an eye.
Hawkheads are ok with being in their cage with things to do. I and Jill always recommend a macaw sized cage for HH's, and they use every bit of it.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
My Hawk Head Chester had done great for the past 3-4 years on getting along with Gabby a Coral Billed Pionus and Tiely Bob who is a Cockatiel. They've shared a flight that was 36 feet long but then last month I moved them out of there into a 4' x 8' size area ... to say the least Chester was not happy then after a week of being in there he started lunging and attacking me and then also when ever I was around the area he was giving Gabby a real bad time... she would run from him.

So I moved him away from them and into another aviary where he is next to Kuka my B&G and has other birds across from him. He seems to be a little bit better in there. I know he misses his big area that he had been in for the last 2 years, he did a lot of flying in there, although now that I think about it, he was getting a little odd with me when I would be in there, so really, it may not totally have to do with his move. I have not entered into his cage yet so I am not sure if he is going to try to lunge at me or not. I feel bad but it has to be the way it is now. Chester is 13 years old and is a male. I was also thinking part of his behavior lately might be due to breeding season, so some of this might pass, I hope.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jan, does Chester actually interact with Tiely Bob? Or do they merely tolerate each other? I'm very interested to know if breeds of differential sizes can form friendships with one another. I definitely will not experiment with my own birds, but I've always wondered if it's possible. I've heard of stories where if they were raised together as babies, they might form a bond akin to friendship, but what about those who weren't?

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
They would sit right close together and they both would eat out of the same bowl ... so yes they did get along. When the 3 birds were all together, Chester was not bothering Tiely Bob ... probably because he was more fearless than Gabby.

All I know when Chester was trying to attack me when I entered the 4' x 8' aviary cage, he looks scarey! :eek: I had to basically make him go downward because he was trying to get me and he can fly. I'll have to go in his cage soon to clean up the floor so not sure how he will be with me. He's never been like this with me at all up until I moved him out of the big area ... guess he loved it in there too much. But like I mentioned above I noticed he was starting to get slightly aggressive towards me just prior to moving him out of his large area.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is strange about Chester! :confused: I'm sure it will pass though, you are such a good birdie momma. :heart: The HH I am interested in is a 14 or 15 year old female... Owner says she's always been very sweet and cuddly, but you never know -- new environment and all, might stress her out.

Based on what the owner has told me about her personality (or birdinality? :confused:), she shouldn't have too much problem with my BB. He's a very laid back guy who won't do anything to provoke an attack. If he feels threatened he will RUN for it -- he's also extremely shy. Of course, this is just conjecture, and anything can happen.

Josie though, she's a spitfire. There may be a problem there. Josie has been dubbed Bully of Cockatoos by my birdsitter and they run from her as soon as they see her :omg: She looked pretty proud of herself, scaring away the big white bird. Naturally, I'm going to keep them as separate as possible, but I'd hate to think they'd be sworn enemies.

What's your Tiely Bob like in terms of personality?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Maybe Chester is feeling a bit of hormonal stuff Jan? I know Cochise and Pico have been acting different. Not aggressive, just different.

Crazy Bird Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dal
My HH has a harder time with new humans than birds. I have had many birds thru fostering and she adapts. She does not interact but does fine with them in "her space" after an adjustment period. She really has never adjusted to new people. She loves me and my hubby, anyone else watch out. She will go into attack mode.

ParrotHead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey
My HH had a best friend, a Timneh grey, but he sadly passed. He gets along well with the Eclectus and jardines. He has more of an issue with new humans, rather than birds.