• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Have you ever regretted getting a Pionus parrot?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hey! Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Can I ask...? What’s happening for you to ask this question?

Are you looking for one and doing research or are you in the situation where you’re regretting getting a bird?

I’m just not sure we will have very many members that will answer yes to that question regardless of the species of bird you put in the title lol- we are all a little bird crazy here ;)

Copasetic

Sitting on the front steps
Hey! Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Can I ask...? What’s happening for you to ask this question?

Are you looking for one and doing research or are you in the situation where you’re regretting getting a bird?

I’m just not sure we will have very many members that will answer yes to that question regardless of the species of bird you put in the title lol- we are all a little bird crazy here ;)
Im interested in the species.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I was led to believe a pionus would be a laidback and easygoing bird. Mine didn't get the memo, and is instead incredibly headstrong and opinionated. So, yes. I absolutely regretted bringing him home.

But I got over it.

I had to discard my notion of what he was "supposed" to be and instead learn to love and work with what he actually was. Ten years on and I wouldn't trade him for anything, but he is still a very challenging character and I think it's a disservice to the genus to blanket them all as easygoing, gentle, quiet... there are no doubt individuals who fit those descriptors, but that's all they are: individuals.

Copasetic

Sitting on the front steps
I was led to believe a pionus would be a laidback and easygoing bird. Mine didn't get the memo, and is instead incredibly headstrong and opinionated. So, yes. I absolutely regretted bringing him home.

But I got over it.

I had to discard my notion of what he was "supposed" to be and instead learn to love and work with what he actually was. Ten years on and I wouldn't trade him for anything, but he is still a very challenging character and I think it's a disservice to the genus to blanket them all as easygoing, gentle, quiet... there are no doubt individuals who fit those descriptors, but that's all they are: individuals.
Thanks you so much for the reply

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I have never ever regretted getting my Pionus. Andre is actually my 2nd. My first Olivia passed away after flying into a wall and damaging her liver. That being said; a Pionus alarm call is deafening. Andre is not quiet. He is not aggressive if you pay attention to his body language. Ignore his body language at your own risk.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Never had one but I love the look & size. No bird is easy & not all in a species are the same. Birds are individuals & alot of it also just depends on how they were brought up too. They all have there own personality so all in all getting any bird & hoping it will fit the wants is just a gamble.

Least you can have an idea & choose a species that you think fits the best. Sometimes you just bond with a bird of another species & thats good too.

I wanted a Bronze wing Pi as a 2nd bird but Penny came up & needed a home. A bird I had never thought of & I fell in love.

I'll probably never get another bird & plan to live my life with my 2 guys. 2 is enough or more than enough for my household & my mental health LOL.

I think white caps are supposed to be more outgoing than the others but then again depends on the bird & how it was brought up.
A unsocialized bird can be shy & fearful in any species & loud & demanding. Laid back or easy going bird is more of in comparison to a amazon etc.

I just an attracted to the looks of pionus. Sort of medium size stocky bird. Love the muted colors. Still each species & each bird is going to be different & you may have to put in years like @Dartman to get a stable relationship. So you have to be prepared. You can regret getting any bird if you don;t understand the time, work & commitment that you need to have to put into it. A bird is not really a "pet" for everyone. You have to decide whether a bird is something you can deal with or else you may regret the constant demanding time consuming messy things they are.

Do lots of research & meet birds if you can though pionus are not that common they are birds & they all are a big responsibility & come with lots of needs.

Good Luck

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My WCP was pretty much nothing like what I initially expected. Pionus are 'supposed' to be the quiet, chill parrots who keep to themselves and are basically cats. My pi was loud, chatty, bossy, got into everything, and never ever stopped. She was like a caique in a pionus body.
For a minute I was a little horrified at what hell I had unleashed upon myself, but man did I ever adore that little pest. She was an utter joy even when she was being a complete brat, and I loved her so much.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Mine don't fit the mold, I believe.

My WCP was unsocialized and cage bound, still grumpy after 6 years, only I can hold him. He's so very quiet even when he's yelling. Which is NOT often, only if another parrot gets on his cage and yells first. He's the world's quietest parrot.

My BHP is loud and can yell obnoxiously. For no reason. LOL But she is very sweet, goes to anyone, and is safe flying around the house as much as she wants (i.e. doesn't chew things and rarely picks fights with other birds).